Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
k_hall1784
Do you teach your kids to hit back? *edit*
December 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM

So yesterday, I took my 2.5 and my 6 year old dd's out to play in one of those mall play area things. While there, my 2.5 year old was playing some sort of animal game with another little boy (who looked to be about 3) which consisted of them crawling around and growling at each other. I guess she growled at him a little too loudly becuause he decided to hit my dd. As I was about to get up, my dd stopped, sat back on her feet, had this sort of look on her face, punched that boy like he stole something, and then got back on all fours and growled again. lol. The little boy said "OUCH! THAT HURT!" got up and walked to the other side of the play area mad. His mom was there, but never said anything due to the fact that she watched it all take place. I guess I don't have to worry about my dd getting bullied, huh? lol. My kids are allowed to defend themselves and their siblings but are not allowed to start fights.  Do you ladies teach your kids to hit back?

*Edit*

I see some of you saying that your kids walk away, get an adult or they have never been in a situation to have to hit back, that's amazing. As a child, no amount of walking away, getting an adult or any of that helped the senseless teasing and bullying that I endured. There is only so much a teacher or parent can do to stop that sort of thing. It only stopped when I reached 10th grade and knocked anyone on their ass who harrassed me.  While walking away or getting an adult is the best option, it's not always an option.

Replies

• Fields456
    December 29, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    They are most def allowed to defend themselves
  • raegansmom
    December 29, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    She can't hit first, but she can hit last.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    December 29, 2012 at 9:00 AM

She better not start but she better finish it!  It wasn't always like that though.  Things changed in kindergarten when we had (still do to) 2 boys that were constantly hitting, pinching, kicking and turned to threatening and brought pocket knives to school, her and a bunch of other girls.  Well since the principal loves to favor boys and all they kept getting was 5 minutes out of a recess here and there I got fed up with it and stoped telling her to just walk away and sat her down and told her under no circumstances is she to start it but she is to finish it.  Needless to say they started it again and the girls defended theirselves and ended up with lunch and recess detention and the boys got nothing.  Yeah there were a lot of pissed off parents storming the office over that one.  Needless to say that punishment got vacated by the superintendent!

• lapcounter
    December 29, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    Yes they can defend themselves.
  • malissaL
    December 29, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I have always taught dd to tell an adult if someone gets rough, and if after that the same kid keeps on her, she has every right to handle it herself. 

of course there are exceptions, like if she has no choice-if she is being hurt she will do whatever she needs to do-bite kick scream whatever.

• twinmommy27
    December 29, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    My kids are not allowed to hit first. I encourage them to hit back though. I hate little bullies who think they can do whatever they want.
  • surfgrl60
    December 29, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I think that is way to young to teach hitting back. I would say about school age teach that. I would have grabbed that mom and said your son just hit my kid!!!!!!!

• Jers.
    by Jers.
    December 29, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Yes, my kids were taught to fight back.  Unfortunately, in school even if your child is defending him/herself they get suspended for fighting.  Dumbest rule ever, but I made it clear to my kids that I wouldn't be mad if that happened.

• daughteroftruth
    December 29, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    Yes. But only after they have attempted to resolve the conflict verbally or by walking away.
  • BluePandaDreams
    December 29, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    I have taught my child she has every right to defend herself. If someone hits first, she has a right to hit back. She has had to defend herself once.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts