Mom Confessions

wrensong
Christians, would you let your kid have a Pagan friend? UPDATE
December 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM

My family and I are openly Pagan. 

My kids are allowed to learn about and even follow different religious or spiritual paths if they so choose.

My 13 yr old is quite Pagan. He gave a talk on it in Boy Scouts a few years ago, and  he wears a Pentacle necklace all the time. 

Most of his friends are either Pagan or their parents are good friends of mine who know we are Pagan.

We recently moved to a new neighborhood and he met a boy who is also 13. The boys have become best friends and are frequently at each other's houses.

Not long ago, his friend made the comment "Wow your family really likes that star in a circle..You all must be from Texas?" My son looked confused and then said "We lived in Corpus Christi for awhile" (we did)

Then the boys went off to ride bikes....

Later, my son asked me if he should tell his friend that we are Pagan and what the star in a circle really is. I asked him why he was concerned and he said that his friend's family is very Christian and has pictures of Jesus around the house and go to church all the time and he didn't want them to refuse to allow them to play together. 

I told him I would think about it and we will talk later.....

So Christains, what would your reation be if you found out one of your kid's friend was Pagan and from a Pagan family? Would you still let your child play with the kid? Go to their house? Spend the night? 

UPDATE:

I had to take my son to the ER last night (he's fine now) and when we got there his friend was there with his mother. They had brought a neighbor in to be seen.

We sat next to them and the mom and I started talking. Finally, I said to her that there was something I had been meaning to talk to her about. I explained that my son was worried that if she found out our spiitual beliefs that she wouldn't let the boys play together. 

She asked what we believed, and I told her we were Pagan. She had heard of Paganism but really didn't know much about it. I gave her a brief rundown and offered to explain it more in depth at my house some day, and even offered to let her borrow a couple of my books if she wanted.

She said that she didn't have a problem with it, and she was glad the boys were friends. She said my son was a good influence on hers and that my son had nothing to worry about. 

She even gave my son a hug and told him he was a great kid and she didn't care what he believed in. 

I want to thank everyone who answered honestly and respectfully even when your views were different from mine. 

Replies

• Piskie
    by Piskie
    December 29, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    What's wrong with Vodou or Santeria?

Quoting MicheleJM:

I wouldn't care, I don't think most of the people I know would either.  But there are a few that would be bothered and try to convert you.  I don't associate with those people myself.  As long as someone is not practicing Santeria, Voodoo, anything involving animal sacrifices or trying to convert me I'm cool.

• trocknorat
    December 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I'm a Christian.  I've got a facebook friend who is Pagan.  He puts some of the best posts on there.  Paganism worries me though.  Almost all religions worry me, because of the mind controlling elements that are present.  People don't realize how much mind control is out there.  They have no idea.  For example, almost all music is a form of mind control.  It hypnotizes people. 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    December 29, 2012 at 1:55 PM

People like you breed hate. You re so incredibly ignorant and I feel sorry for your children. 

Quoting Anonymous:

No I would not. Even if you think you are good person being a pagan, you are really in league with the devil. I would not want my child believing that it is okay to mess with sorcery.

• mommie2twogirls
    December 29, 2012 at 2:03 PM

So your answer is the same no matter the religion :)  Sorry I read that where you said you would have to get to know the parents and my first thought was wow! she lets her kids stay anywhere as long as the family is christian lol I figured it just needed to be asked differently :)

Quoting orangerze:

No I would not. There are some nutcase Christians out there too. Westboro baptist comes to mind.... I have to know the parents first... And for more than a 2 second talk

Quoting mommie2twogirls:

to orangerze~ so would you let your child have a sleep over at a christian friends house without knowing the childs parents?

Quoting orangerze:

I would have no problem letting my son play with yours (tho mine is 5 ATM. Lol) so def when older. You are a great representation of someone who could keep it cool.

Just gotta watch out for crazies....Christian crazies, pagan crazies, Jewish crazies, atheist crazies and on down the list :)

Quoting wrensong:

Thanks for the honest reply.

I actually would not invite anyone over on a ritual night unless they were Pagan and were to be part of the ritual, with the exception of an adult who knew in advance and wanted to watch.

Trust me, we don't want anyone participating out of "coolness" or "rebellion". We get a lot of that at publicgatherings and it is annoying. 

Also, I would never discuss my religious beliefs with a minor without the parents' consent. 

Quoting orangerze:

I guess ill be the odd one out here. I wouldn't stop them from being friends at school or even play dates but I would have a very hard time letting them spend the night. That might change after I know parents an have an open discussion with them. I would have to trust that it wasn't a special day for them where a ritual or ceremony was taking place....because I don't want my son exposed to that until he is old enough to make his own mind based on logical reasoning...not just "coolness" or "rebelliousness". I know I as apparent would tell other kids parents for example...if someone was spending the night and it was a church morning so they could make the call...so I would need to know they would do the same.

That said...I have no issue with any other religion or non religion and my son will be loved regardless of any or if any he chooses. But as with anything we expose out kids to it needs to be at the right time (in as much as we can control that...sometimes it just happens).

I also would make sure that if the overnight visit did occur that I knew as much about the beliefs as I could so as to answer any questions, etc. I know nothing about paganism so that would take me some time.

Really for me it's about knowing the parents basically...making sure they have the same respect for us as we do for them and all that. Same with any other issue...Kwim?

• Sailor_nena
    December 29, 2012 at 2:04 PM

If only all religious people thought this way :)

Quoting jillbailey26:

I wouldn't have a reaction, but that's not something that bothers me.  I'm Christian, but I understand a little about Paganism.  My kids can be friends with whoever they choose as long as they're good, decent people.

• SoKamele
    December 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM

While we wouldn't stop them from being friends at school.....we wouldn't encourage anything outside of that. As for sleep over and what not......It wouldn't matter what religion they are..we wouldn't allow it.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Why not?

Quoting SoKamele:

No.......No.........and No.

• Betsy524
    December 29, 2012 at 2:48 PM

As a Christian we are taught not to judge, that is God's job (so to speak). We are also taught to be accepting and loving towards others. With this said, of course I would allow my child to play with another who practices Paganism, as long as this person is kind, decent and good.

• mysticalmalissa
    December 29, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I wouldnt allow my children in your home because you are a simple minded, misguided, wanna-be that has NO clue about anything written in the bible. You are the poster child for evil.

Quoting Anonymous:

What fellowship can light have with darkness ? 2 Cor 6:14. A Christian should not allow their child into a pagan home. You should not allow evil to influence your child ..

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    December 29, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    Quoting mysticalmalissa:

I actually know a lot of what is written in the Bible I have read it entirely and try to continue to study it each day. I don't hate anyone if that is what u r insinuating . But Jesus warns believers of who they spend their time with . It's one thing to help unbelievers and to show them God's love every opportunity you can, however its another to hang out with them in their unbelief . You become like your company . So if this angers you that is perfectly fine . Jesus said people would be offended bc of Him .
  • imuney
    by imuney
    December 29, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Sorry but no I wouldnt

Mom Confessions