Mom Confessions

ChocolateJunky
I lied :(
December 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM

So we got ds an aquarium and 6 fish for his birthday last week. Only 2 are still alive. We just keep telling him they're sleeping and scoop them out when he's not looking. :(

I just don't understand why they keep dying left and right. We originally put 3 guppies and 3 mollies in the tank, and now we're down to just 1 molly and 1 guppie. What a disastrous present. I feel like crap.

Replies

• mrssummerlin
    December 12, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    One of the fish could have easily been sick and got the others sick as well. Happens a lot.
  • CCMami
    by CCMami
    December 12, 2012 at 5:02 PM

It happened to us too.  We told her that they died so they're going to heaven.  Our problem was the water and some were sick, etc.  Mollies and guppies arent that great anyway.  We just kept buying new ones.  You have to keep the ph balance right and have the right food.  Good luck

• beachbabies6
    December 12, 2012 at 5:02 PM

are you decorinating your water ?

• puasaurusrex
    December 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM
    Could have been sick. With that many dead, I'd definitely clean out the tank completely and start over. If you were close to me, I'd give you some mollies. We currently have 9 babies that I would like to give to good homes before her next batch arrive.
  • TexasWife
    December 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Water temp. ph levels. Seriously there is a ton of things.

• kidlover2
    December 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    Why are you telling him the fish are sleeping? That's a little messed up. Any ways.... there are a lot of reasons your fish could be dying. Many good fish stores will test your water for you if you take them a sample and give you pointers.
  • ChocolateJunky
    December 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM

What's that? I've never owned fish before. I did everything the associates told me to do. Let the water run for a week before introducing the fish, set up a pump and filter, and I think I added water desensitizer or something. I've had a long day, so I'm not thinking clearly but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Quoting beachbabies6:

are you decorinating your water ?

• michiganmom5150
    December 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    Did you get the water prepared before you put the fish in? Did you float the bags to get them the same temp? If you put then directly into tap water, that could kill them. There are drops you have to put in. I had issues with my tank after 2 years and found a guy at the local pet smart who is very knowledgable. I'd seek out someone who knows and can help!
  • ChocolateJunky
    December 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Because he's 3, and I didn't want to upset him that the gift I got him was a total failure. We haven't dealt with death before, so I'm not sure how to explain it to him.

Quoting kidlover2:

Why are you telling him the fish are sleeping? That's a little messed up. Any ways.... there are a lot of reasons your fish could be dying. Many good fish stores will test your water for you if you take them a sample and give you pointers.

• mom2hadley
    December 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    Where did you get the fish?

Mom Confessions