Mom Confessions

mary841108
why i think pot should be illegal
December 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM

this was taken from webmd.com. i personally am against smoking weed. its not safer than cigarettes like most think (i dont smoke cigarettes either by the way) and the mental effects are not something i want to deal with when taking care of children.

How Does Marijuana Affect the Brain?

Scientists have learned a great deal about how THC acts in the brain to produce its many effects. When someone smokes marijuana, THC rapidly passes from the lungs into the bloodstream, which carries the chemical to the brain and other organs throughout the body.

THC acts upon specific sites in the brain, called cannabinoid receptors, kicking off a series of cellular reactions that ultimately lead to the "high" that users experience when they smoke marijuana. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors; others have few or none. The highest density of cannabinoid receptors are found in parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thinking, concentrating, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement.1

Not surprisingly, marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory. Research has shown that, in chronic users, marijuana's adverse impact on learning and memory can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off.2 As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a suboptimal intellectual level all of the time.

Research into the effects of long-term cannabis use on the structure of the brain has yielded inconsistent results. It may be that the effects are too subtle for reliable detection by current techniques. A similar challenge arises in studies of the effects of chronic marijuana use on brain function. Brain imaging studies in chronic users tend to show some consistent alterations, but their connection to impaired cognitive functioning is far from clear. This uncertainty may stem from confounding factors such as other drug use, residual drug effects, or withdrawal symptoms in long-term chronic users.

Addictive Potential

Long-term marijuana abuse can lead to addiction; that is, compulsive drug seeking and abuse despite the known harmful effects upon functioning in the context of family, school, work, and recreational activities. Estimates from research suggest that about 9 percent of users become addicted to marijuana; this number increases among those who start young (to about 17 percent) and among daily users (25-50 percent).

Long-term marijuana abusers trying to quit report withdrawal symptoms including: irritability, sleeplessness, decreased appetite, anxiety, and drug craving, all of which can make it difficult to remain abstinent. These symptoms begin within about 1 day following abstinence, peak at 2-3 days, and subside within 1 or 2 weeks following drug cessation.3

Marijuana and Mental Health

A number of studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia. Some of these studies have shown age at first use to be an important risk factor, where early use is a marker of increased vulnerability to later problems. However, at this time, it is not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or reflects an attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence.

Chronic marijuana use, especially in a very young person, may also be a marker of risk for mental illnesses - including addiction - stemming from genetic or environmental vulnerabilities, such as early exposure to stress or violence. Currently, the strongest evidence links marijuana use and schizophrenia and/or related disorders.4 High doses of marijuana can produce an acute psychotic reaction; in addition, use of the drug may trigger the onset or relapse of schizophrenia in vulnerable individuals.

What Other Adverse Effect Does Marijuana Have on Health?

Effects on the Heart

Marijuana increases heart rate by 20-100 percent shortly after smoking; this effect can last up to 3 hours. In one study, it was estimated that marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack in the first hour after smoking the drug.5 This may be due to increased heart rate as well as the effects of marijuana on heart rhythms, causing palpitations and arrhythmias. This risk may be greater in aging populations or in those with cardiac vulnerabilities.

Effects on the Lungs

Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50-70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which further increase the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. Marijuana smokers show dysregulated growth of epithelial cells in their lung tissue, which could lead to cancer;6 however, a recent case-controlled study found no positive associations between marijuana use and lung, upper respiratory, or upper digestive tract cancers.7 Thus, the link between marijuana smoking and these cancers remains unsubstantiated at this time.

Nonetheless, marijuana smokers can have many of the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, and a heightened risk of lung infections. A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers.8 Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.

Effects on Daily Life

Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has the potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person's existing problems worse. In one study, heavy marijuana abusers reported that the drug impaired several important measures of life achievement, including physical and mental health, cognitive abilities, social life, and career status.9 Several studies associate workers' marijuana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers' compensation claims, and job turnover.

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    December 12, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    Wow

You're a good mom, argue with a pot head, while your kids are hanging with you child molester cousin.

Dcf should take your kids away, a non pot smoking bad mother, who argues on cm, while her kids are being molested.

Quoting armstrong7984:

how do you know if they use drugs or not? im not arguing anything, i know i cant argue with a druggie.

Quoting Anonymous:

Rapist and molesters do what they do because they want too. Not because of some drug.

No one is supporting a rapist.

Youre just losing your argument.

Quoting armstrong7984:

so what happens when the rapists or molestors think that what they are doing arent harming people?  it's their life...  where does it stopwhen do people say okay were going to draw the line? because everyone will have different opionions and some may see nothing wrong with it while others' do.

As long as nobody is being harmed, you shouldn't care what people do in their personal lives, even if what they are doing is against your morals.

Children can't get married to adults because its harmful to children (both emotionally and physically).

You are harming someone with rape them.

I have heard stories of people marrying their cars or other objects. Meh, I don't care, no one is being harmed.

An animal does not have the cognition of an human so to have sex with them is rape because they can't really consent.

Quoting armstrong7984:

Well if we dont care about what others do in their personal life than old men can marry children, rapists can collect women in their basement and people can marry their cars or doggies. Their needs to be a limit to things and there's beginning to not be one which is going to become very dangerous.

Quoting semamaearth:

that's like saying, "if we let gays get married, we might as well let men marry their dogs"

how about doing some actual research and then get back to us. oh, wait, still won't care what you think!

Quoting mary841108:

it was illegal in the first place for a reason, it is still a drug and i dont think it should be legal at all. i mean if we make this legal why not meth or herione or crack?

Quoting Liyoness:

So.... Why do you think it should be illegal?

• ShellGardner
    December 12, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    Zomg I agree if I take one hit of weed I'm put out I can't think I can't do anything. I can't imagine trying to take care of my kids high. I am not even playin either that stuff is lethal to me.
  • alexsmomma06
    December 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    I personally have no issue with pot but simply this- wheather or not you think it is ok, it is on fact illegal at this time in most places. Which means if you were to get caught, you are risking being sent to jail which equals time away from your child/children. You are also setting an example that as long as you don't agree with a law, It's perfectly acceptable to break it. To me, It's selfish and a disservice to your child. It is not worth the risk to me.

Quoting SevenKisses:

I don't need you or anyone else tell me that I am too 'mentally impaired' to care for my children. I do it 100 percent just fine thank you. Marijuana doesn't make you stupid or moronic - apparently whatever YOU are on DOES though.

Quoting mary841108:

so you think if people want to be mentally impared its ok to let them attempt to take care of their kids?

Quoting SevenKisses:

So don't smoke it. But don't think it's ok to take it from others who like it and who NEED it for any reason. All I read in this bullshit article was 'the potential to' 'it may be known to' and other BS statements that are most all inaccurate.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    December 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    Us pot heads, have the same experience.

Quoting mary841108:

both of my kids are in school all day. my house is spotless, dinner is cooking and laundry is done.

Quoting Anonymous:

Being on CM during the day means they do not have your 100% attention. Your logical reasoning seems hazy. I can see why you wouldn't want to dilute it even further.

Quoting mary841108:

lol i may be stupid to you but at least im not a druggie and my kids have my 100% attention, im not in a doped up haze. i can think clearly

• JLo1486
    by JLo1486
    December 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    That's YOUR mom. Everyone else isn't your mother.

Quoting mary841108:

i know what the effects of chemo are. my mother was a cancer patient and she used diet, excercise and meditation to help cope with the effects...and she was fine. you don't need pot. *my mother had lung, brain and uterine cancer. she is now in remission*

Quoting Anonymous:

Some people have cancer and need chemo. The effects of chemo are horrible. Weed helps these people out greatly. You would deny them that all because you wouldn't smoke it?

Quoting mary841108:

I have severe OCD but im not about to smoke weed

Quoting JLo1486:

I'm sorry, do you have cancer? Do you have chronic pain? Do tou have MS? Do you have chronic depression? Do you have uncontrollable anxiety? Are you disabled? Do you know the wonders marijuana can do for these people? To let them eat,drink and live a semi normal life again? To be able to love and care for their children because they aren't being crippled by pain and weakness. To not be so fatigued they can't get out of bed?

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    December 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM
    Is armstrong going to come back. I miss her stereotype responses.

Hey,
    Did you pry yourself off the pc, so you could yank the child molesters dick, out of your kids pants. Or are you more concerned with his pot smoking?

Or are thinkinking of some witty response?

I bet the witty response.

Guess you're not coming back after all.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    December 12, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    Did your cousin molest you, was he high? Does he molest your kids? Is he high doing it?

How do u know he is high?

Did u used to smoke with him?

Quoting armstrong7984:

ooh no im losing an argument on cafemom according to a bunch of pot smokers, its really hurting my feelings LMAO

Quoting Anonymous:

Lmao

She is losing her argument.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow you really are a dumb cunt lol.

Quoting armstrong7984:

LOL my cousin is a child molestor and guess what? hmmm......hes a pot head!!!! too funny

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry it didn't fit your stereotype of a druggie.

Quoting armstrong7984:

Thank You for that laugh! omg LMAO

Quoting Anonymous:

Im a druggie, who has worked with sex offenders before.

Quoting armstrong7984:

how do you know if they use drugs or not? im not arguing anything, i know i cant argue with a druggie.

Quoting Anonymous:

Rapist and molesters do what they do because they want too. Not because of some drug.

No one is supporting a rapist.

Youre just losing your argument.

Quoting armstrong7984:

so what happens when the rapists or molestors think that what they are doing arent harming people?  it's their life...  where does it stopwhen do people say okay were going to draw the line? because everyone will have different opionions and some may see nothing wrong with it while others' do.

As long as nobody is being harmed, you shouldn't care what people do in their personal lives, even if what they are doing is against your morals.

Children can't get married to adults because its harmful to children (both emotionally and physically).

You are harming someone with rape them.

I have heard stories of people marrying their cars or other objects. Meh, I don't care, no one is being harmed.

An animal does not have the cognition of an human so to have sex with them is rape because they can't really consent.

Quoting armstrong7984:

Well if we dont care about what others do in their personal life than old men can marry children, rapists can collect women in their basement and people can marry their cars or doggies. Their needs to be a limit to things and there's beginning to not be one which is going to become very dangerous.

Quoting semamaearth:

that's like saying, "if we let gays get married, we might as well let men marry their dogs"

how about doing some actual research and then get back to us. oh, wait, still won't care what you think!

Quoting mary841108:

it was illegal in the first place for a reason, it is still a drug and i dont think it should be legal at all. i mean if we make this legal why not meth or herione or crack?

Quoting Liyoness:

So.... Why do you think it should be illegal?

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    December 12, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    Very close minded.

Her cousin is a pot head, and a child molester. Seems she's more concerned, about him smoking pot.

So if he's not smoking pot, he gets to baby sit.

Quoting gemikris82:

lol so now people who smoke pot cant even graduate college?  wow you ARE closed minded.  sad.

Quoting armstrong7984:

Ya seriously I feel like im back in 7th grade again and the 'cool' ones are making fun of me for not doing drugs. guess what they all ended up being the losers in life, i went on to college, they couldnt even make it past the 10th grade. Why the hell would i want to teach my children that drug use is okay! what is this world coming to, no limits, no boundaires, no common sense, its all gone, makes me afraid to even raise kids in a society like this one.

Quoting mary841108:

i'll stay small minded then lol i guess i'll teach my kids to be small minded after all children live by example. hey armstrong, lets go get high and teach our kids that it ok because we are soooo open minded!

Quoting armstrong7984:

yes because i will never ever believe in drug use im small minded.  its about whether or not im down with everything and if im not im close minded lmao.

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting armstrong7984:

yup agreed, washington state will be full of jobless losers!

now thats the dumbest statement ever!  my mothers boss, the president of a union smokes weed

It really is a dumb comment. Another example of small minded thinking.

• elijahXmom
    December 12, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    Not sure if agree with way they slant things. The lung thing is like hello no different then smoking without a filter or a fire fighter taking in too much smoke. Warm/hot smoke entering a cooler place always leaves tar.

Quoting mary841108:

this was taken from webmd.com. i personally am against smoking weed. its not safer than cigarettes like most think (i dont smoke cigarettes either by the way) and the mental effects are not something i want to deal with when taking care of children.

How Does Marijuana Affect the Brain?

Scientists have learned a great deal about how THC acts in the brain to produce its many effects. When someone smokes marijuana, THC rapidly passes from the lungs into the bloodstream, which carries the chemical to the brain and other organs throughout the body.

THC acts upon specific sites in the brain, called cannabinoid receptors, kicking off a series of cellular reactions that ultimately lead to the "high" that users experience when they smoke marijuana. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors; others have few or none. The highest density of cannabinoid receptors are found in parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thinking, concentrating, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement.1

Not surprisingly, marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory. Research has shown that, in chronic users, marijuana's adverse impact on learning and memory can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off.2 As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a suboptimal intellectual level all of the time.

Research into the effects of long-term cannabis use on the structure of the brain has yielded inconsistent results. It may be that the effects are too subtle for reliable detection by current techniques. A similar challenge arises in studies of the effects of chronic marijuana use on brain function. Brain imaging studies in chronic users tend to show some consistent alterations, but their connection to impaired cognitive functioning is far from clear. This uncertainty may stem from confounding factors such as other drug use, residual drug effects, or withdrawal symptoms in long-term chronic users.

Addictive Potential

Long-term marijuana abuse can lead to addiction; that is, compulsive drug seeking and abuse despite the known harmful effects upon functioning in the context of family, school, work, and recreational activities. Estimates from research suggest that about 9 percent of users become addicted to marijuana; this number increases among those who start young (to about 17 percent) and among daily users (25-50 percent).

Long-term marijuana abusers trying to quit report withdrawal symptoms including: irritability, sleeplessness, decreased appetite, anxiety, and drug craving, all of which can make it difficult to remain abstinent. These symptoms begin within about 1 day following abstinence, peak at 2-3 days, and subside within 1 or 2 weeks following drug cessation.3

Marijuana and Mental Health

A number of studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia. Some of these studies have shown age at first use to be an important risk factor, where early use is a marker of increased vulnerability to later problems. However, at this time, it is not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or reflects an attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence.

Chronic marijuana use, especially in a very young person, may also be a marker of risk for mental illnesses - including addiction - stemming from genetic or environmental vulnerabilities, such as early exposure to stress or violence. Currently, the strongest evidence links marijuana use and schizophrenia and/or related disorders.4 High doses of marijuana can produce an acute psychotic reaction; in addition, use of the drug may trigger the onset or relapse of schizophrenia in vulnerable individuals.

What Other Adverse Effect Does Marijuana Have on Health?

Effects on the Heart

Marijuana increases heart rate by 20-100 percent shortly after smoking; this effect can last up to 3 hours. In one study, it was estimated that marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack in the first hour after smoking the drug.5 This may be due to increased heart rate as well as the effects of marijuana on heart rhythms, causing palpitations and arrhythmias. This risk may be greater in aging populations or in those with cardiac vulnerabilities.

Effects on the Lungs

Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50-70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which further increase the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. Marijuana smokers show dysregulated growth of epithelial cells in their lung tissue, which could lead to cancer;6 however, a recent case-controlled study found no positive associations between marijuana use and lung, upper respiratory, or upper digestive tract cancers.7 Thus, the link between marijuana smoking and these cancers remains unsubstantiated at this time.

Nonetheless, marijuana smokers can have many of the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, and a heightened risk of lung infections. A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers.8 Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.

Effects on Daily Life

Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has the potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person's existing problems worse. In one study, heavy marijuana abusers reported that the drug impaired several important measures of life achievement, including physical and mental health, cognitive abilities, social life, and career status.9 Several studies associate workers' marijuana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers' compensation claims, and job turnover.

• shawnypooh4
    December 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I like how Mary is so super Holy and judgemental at the sametime.  If you don't want to smoke Mary, then don't smoke.  Don't judge anyone else that does because that really isn't your place to do so.  I smoke to calm my nerves.  I don't smoke in front of my kids nor will I advocate it to them, but for you to say why you don't think it should be legal, then judge or criticize those that do is just plain wrong.  Its really none  of your business personally.  I think your trying to get someone that agrees with you, but your not getting the responses you thought you would.

Mom Confessions