Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Come in here and confess! *POLL
by Anonymous
December 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Are you "off put" by someone who is younger than you, trying to give you advice, or who tries to "educate" you?

Even if say, this younger person is very knowledgeable about a certain subject that you are not, is it off putting to have someone younger trying to teach you something or give you advice?

Say an 18yo is trying to educate you on childbirth, etc as she is very knowledgeable and has been through it, etc. Is it hard for you to accept that she knows what she is talking about just because she is young?

Is it difficult for you to take advice and be educated by someone who is younger than yourself?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 62% - No, I can learn and take advice graciously regardless of age.
  2. 24% - Yes, I find it off putting when a younger person tries to "enlighten" me.
  3. 13% - Other. Theres always another option.

Replies

• lilbit04
    December 12, 2012 at 2:47 AM
    I beg to differ with that I was 18 when I gave birth, graduated top of my class. I graduated June of 04 and had him November of 04, went to college in August with the rest of my classmates. I ended up being home bound after I had him due to the type of delivery and what happened during it. However I did go back full term spring semester. I went all 4 yrs of college with an infant. It really depends what kind of drive you have and how determined you are to get things done. For me the condom broke and although I was on bc at the time, I had no clue that antibiotics could affect it. I don't regret it at all, love my son more than anything and he gave me the drive I needed to finish school and now I'm going back to continue learning more and I have 4 kids now.

Quoting Anonymous:

Kids are stupid. That's why they're kids. If an 18 yr old is giving advice on childbirth, that means she was knocked up at 17 and knows little of contraception. I highly doubt she will be going on to a university education for a few years now that she has an infant, if she even managed to graduate hs. How knowledgeable can she be? Seems like a poor life choice at an early age.
  • landen1229
    December 12, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Certain people know certain things. I don't matter the age. If you are asking for advice who cares where or who you are getting it from. If it helps you in your situation then run with it. 

• Danapopcorn
    December 12, 2012 at 2:49 AM

That's not the point. And the majority of the time when you go pick up your meds you speak with pharm techs, not the pharmacist. That's not the point though, the point is that even at 18 I had a subject where I knew, and could give advice about, more than others did. 

And it depends on what you go for. Some do associate degrees for it. I did a 4 hour a night, 3 nights a week, for 4 months class. Both are given the same exam. The only difference is with the class I take, there is less time to prepare, so you need to have the time and motivation out side of class to educate yourself.

Quoting FL2AK:

In most states it doesn't take much to be a pharmacy tech. I go to the pharmacist not the tech when I need information.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Well when I was 18 I was a pharm tech, so I am sure I knew more about that subject than many others, including the ones who were older than me.

Quoting FL2AK:

I honestly cannot imagine what I would need to learn from an 18 year old. I have a child around the same age. If I need information or want to learn something I seek it from experts. What would an 18 year old be an expert at?

• mrs.miller89
    December 12, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Agreed. I was at the pharmacy just the other day and the tech had to ask the pharmacist for help 3 or 4 different times while helping me with one simple prescription. As for the OP's example, I would be put off by an 18 year old "educating" me on childbirth and really anyone else other than a professional. If the professional in whatever subject I'm learning about is younger than me, that's fine, although unlikely for a while since I'm only 23. =)

Quoting FL2AK:

In most states it doesn't take much to be a pharmacy tech. I go to the pharmacist not the tech when I need information.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Well when I was 18 I was a pharm tech, so I am sure I knew more about that subject than many others, including the ones who were older than me.

Quoting FL2AK:

I honestly cannot imagine what I would need to learn from an 18 year old. I have a child around the same age. If I need information or want to learn something I seek it from experts. What would an 18 year old be an expert at?

• Danapopcorn
    December 12, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Nope, it was a 4 month course, though you can get an associates in it. And as for the experience, the class I was in did internships, which probably helped me with getting a job. And pharm techs don't answer any type of questions about complex medical problems. The pharm techs who work in cancer divisions may, I don't know haven't worked in any type of situation like that, but it also requires more schooling to work with cancer patients. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry but I doubt it.  Phar tech is typically a 12 mos course, with an additional practicum of on the job work experience.  And I highly doubt a technician just barely out of school would have the experience to be able to answer my questions on your feet, or the questions of any other patients with complex medical conditions without a few years of experience at least.  No, I don't believe you.  

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Quoting FL2AK:

• FL2AK
    by FL2AK
    December 12, 2012 at 2:55 AM
    The question was asked specifically if we would seek advice from an 18 year old. I would not. I am 37, very educated and seek information from experts if I need it. I am fully aware of who my local pharmacist is versus the tech. Being an 18 year old pharmacy tech is great, but still not someone I would seek advice from.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

That's not the point. And the majority of the time when you go pick up your meds you speak with pharm techs, not the pharmacist. That's not the point though, the point is that even at 18 I had a subject where I knew, and could give advice about, more than others did. 

And it depends on what you go for. Some do associate degrees for it. I did a 4 hour a night, 3 nights a week, for 4 months class. Both are given the same exam. The only difference is with the class I take, there is less time to prepare, so you need to have the time and motivation out side of class to educate yourself.

Quoting FL2AK:

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Quoting FL2AK:

• Danapopcorn
    December 12, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Legally, I wouldn't be allowed to give you advice, only factual information.  And what I am saying is though I may have only been 18, there are many people who I knew more than they did when it came to things like medication, and answered many questions for a lot of people on a daily basis.

Quoting FL2AK:

The question was asked specifically if we would seek advice from an 18 year old. I would not. I am 37, very educated and seek information from experts if I need it. I am fully aware of who my local pharmacist is versus the tech. Being an 18 year old pharmacy tech is great, but still not someone I would seek advice from.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Quoting FL2AK:

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Quoting FL2AK:

• Danapopcorn
    December 12, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Never said all of them knew exactly what they were doing. 

Quoting mrs.miller89:

Agreed. I was at the pharmacy just the other day and the tech had to ask the pharmacist for help 3 or 4 different times while helping me with one simple prescription. As for the OP's example, I would be put off by an 18 year old "educating" me on childbirth and really anyone else other than a professional. If the professional in whatever subject I'm learning about is younger than me, that's fine, although unlikely for a while since I'm only 23. =)

Quoting FL2AK:

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Quoting FL2AK:

• FL2AK
    by FL2AK
    December 12, 2012 at 3:01 AM
    I am not talking about other people, I answered the question for myself. Great that other adults thought to ask you for help, but I wouldn't because I would not need to.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Legally, I wouldn't be allowed to give you advice, only factual information.  And what I am saying is though I may have only been 18, there are many people who I knew more than they did when it came to things like medication, and answered many questions for a lot of people on a daily basis.

Quoting FL2AK:

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Quoting FL2AK:

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Quoting FL2AK:

• Danapopcorn
    December 12, 2012 at 3:01 AM

When you apply to be a pharm tech, it is your exam score that matters. And you wouldn't have any idea how long  I had been in school. All pharm techs in the state get the same exam.  I passed it easily with a high score. So obviously I knew what I was doing. Seeing as how you get the same exam, would you rather me, with a higher score but less time in school, help you OR someone who was in school longer but barely passed their exam?

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok, well I don't have cancer, and I just visit a regular run of the mill pharmacy, but I guarantee you if you only have 4 months of education for pharm tech, you wouldn't be helping me.  I'm also sure you were not the most knowledgeable at 18, including those who were older than you as you have said.  Any pharm tech programs I've ever seen has been a 12 month course for a simple degree.

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Nope, it was a 4 month course, though you can get an associates in it. And as for the experience, the class I was in did internships, which probably helped me with getting a job. And pharm techs don't answer any type of questions about complex medical problems. The pharm techs who work in cancer divisions may, I don't know haven't worked in any type of situation like that, but it also requires more schooling to work with cancer patients. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry but I doubt it.  Phar tech is typically a 12 mos course, with an additional practicum of on the job work experience.  And I highly doubt a technician just barely out of school would have the experience to be able to answer my questions on your feet, or the questions of any other patients with complex medical conditions without a few years of experience at least.  No, I don't believe you.  

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Quoting FL2AK:

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts