Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
I'm sorry but...
by Anonymous
December 10, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I do not think that athletes should be considered "heros' yes they have talent. But getting (over)paid millions of dollars to chase a ball around doesn't make someone special in my book.

I am tutoring my 14 yr old newphew. He had to write a report on a hero and asked me what athlete he should pick. I asked him why he wanted an athlete and he said "I don't know... thats who everyone says heros are" my heart broke a little bit. We did a lot of research and made some decisions and he wrote his paper about a local man who volunteers at the churchs and helps out elderly people in town. I was so proud. He was the only kid in his class who didn't write his paper on an athlete, and the only one who got a 100%.

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    December 10, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I agree that being an athlete doesn't make you a hero, but alot of athletes do volunteer and charity work too. Don't forget that athletes are individuals. I like the idea of doing the report on a local man, I am just saying an athlete is not only an athlete.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    December 10, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree that being an athlete doesn't make you a hero, but alot of athletes do volunteer and charity work too. Don't forget that athletes are individuals. I like the idea of doing the report on a local man, I am just saying an athlete is not only an athlete.

I just wonder how many of those athletes would be working for charity if they did not have a "famous" image to keep up with?

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    December 10, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Bump

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    December 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I just wonder how many of those athletes would be working for charity if they did not have a "famous" image to keep up with?

I agree that some may be that way, but alot of them came from nothing and feel that because of this they should give back because they have been so blessed. I am just saying I like to look at people as individuals instead of generalizing and stereotyping. I do think you did a good job finding a worthwhile hero for your nephew. :)

• TiffanyRose06
    December 10, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Good for him, and good for you showing him hero doesn't equal athlete.

• TTC2Long
    December 10, 2012 at 11:50 PM
    I agree. It takes a great deal of natural talent, discipline, dedication and thousands of hours of practice to become a professional athlete, but many, many other professions require that too, and a lot more, and are nowhere near as glorified, or well-paid. I'm happy and impressed that you found a MUCH better example of a hero for him to write about. :)
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    December 10, 2012 at 11:53 PM

That is wonderful !

• angie729
    December 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I agree to an extent. Look at Michael Orr..the guy in The Blind Side..look at all he overcame. That boy had it hard. I can see where he could be a hero or more so the Tuohys that took him in and made him part of their family.

• CrimsonRose01
    December 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I agree with you.

• NBean311
    December 11, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Some athletes do have incredible stories though! I mean Michael Oher, Jimmy Grahm, etc... So many of them came from very dark, ugly places. I see what you are saying, and I'm not disagreeing, just saying that there are some exceptions, and because they are in the public eye, it's easy to look up to them. 

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts