Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
How many kids to a room?
by Anonymous
December 9, 2012 at 11:56 PM

My DH's sister has a lot of kids. Because of this multiple kids share rooms. I think it is a bit much to expect a 6th grader, 4th grader and 2nd grader to share a room together.... 

How many kids would you be willing to put in a room together?

My kids all have separate rooms and that is how I was raised so maybe multiple kids per room is common and I am just naive.

Replies

• ACsLady
    by ACsLady
    December 26, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Our plan is to have a boy's room and a girl's room. As long as they fit, we'll have as many in there as we need to. If the rooms get to be too small, then we'd split them up by age (older girls' room, younger girls' room and same for the boys).

We currently have three girls - ages 3.5, 2.5, and 1. The two older girls share a room and the youngest is still in our room. We're expecting our fourth baby in April and plan to move our youngest in with her sisters before then. Just need to get her a crib so my older two don't mess with her too much.

Another reason why we've kept our youngest with us this long is because of the layout of the house we're in. The girls are on the other side of the house from us. If they were older I wouldn't mind so much, but being little and us not being able to hear them is an issue sometimes. We'll be moving about a month after baby arrives, so I'm hoping to have a better set up at our new place.

Having a separate room for each child is a totally different thing when you have more than 1-3 kids. To me, it just isn't realisitic after a point because then you'd have to have a ton of bedrooms. Our kids' rooms are for sleeping and keeping their clothes in, so a ton of space for each kid is kind of a waste in my opinion. Just depends on how you live....what works for one family isn't always best for another.

• Audreysmommy123
    December 26, 2012 at 1:37 PM

i have a 3 bedroom town house and 4 kids.. i wouldn't go more then 2 to a room. unless that's just a room for sleeping. i could see two sets of bunk beds in a room. but for us not an option.

• MamaPeanut
    December 26, 2012 at 1:38 PM

1 kid per room.

I strongly believe each child deserves their own personal space.

If I couldn't afford to provide proper shelter for my kids, I wouldn't have that many.

• Anonymous 51
    by Anonymous 51
    December 26, 2012 at 1:41 PM

My brother and I shared a room up until I was 11 or 12, he is 3 years younger than me. We got along fine and it was never really a big deal. I always felt I had my own space. My kids don't share a room though, I think it's important for them to have their own rooms and they don't get along as well as my brother and I did. It just depends on what works in that family. One of my daughters friends doesn't have a room at all because her older sister insists on having her own room. She either sleeps on the floor in her mom's room or in the living room. I think that's wrong. They should either share or mom should give up her room.

• Anonymous 52
    by Anonymous 52
    December 26, 2012 at 1:44 PM

We have 4 kids in a 3 bedroom townhouse. Two kids in each room.

• countrymomma81
    December 26, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I only had two kids because I never wanted my kids to have to share a room. I did when I was younger and I hated it. 

• Anonymous 53
    by Anonymous 53
    December 26, 2012 at 2:08 PM

If I had to put three kids in a room, they would have the master bedroom, but in a small bedroom. I would fit in two only. I only have two kids. They have always shared. They are old enough to have their own rooms, but they don't want to. They are in 6th and 4th.

• Anonymous 54
    by Anonymous 54
    December 26, 2012 at 2:10 PM

As many as I want to put in a room!

• kfroz0415
    December 26, 2012 at 2:22 PM

It's actually fairly common for kids to share bedrooms. I know all kinds of people who did and they ranged from poor to rather wealthy. 

For me I think 2 per room is plenty. I would go as far as 3 in a room if we had 3 rooms and they wanted to share a room and have a toy/game room, but it would be up to them.

In my life my family has lived with the following arrangements. 7 people in a 3 bedroom trailer. My parents had their room, I had mine, my grandma had hers, and my 3 brothers shared. Then we moved into a house and my grandma moved out, all 3 boys shared, I had mine, my parents had theirs. We moved into another hous where for awhile my oldest brother had his room, I had mine, 2 other brothers shared, and my parents had the their room. Eventually in that house my dad turned the attached garage that sat under the kitchen into a family room, the family room into 2 bedrooms, the downstairs bathroom into a laundry room and this old concrete wash area into a bathroom. So we all had our own rooms until we all moved out. Of course as my brothers moved out we turned one room into my piano room, then the next into a guest room, then the last into the computer room/office. I still miss that house it was awesome. I would LOVE to have a house with 2 bathrooms, family room, 5 bedrooms, laundry room, two 3 season rooms, living room, and huge eat in kitchen...  

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN