Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
I have to buy another Christmas gift I wasn't planning
by Anonymous
December 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Dds friend spent the day with us yesterday. Her friend told us that they got my dd a gift.  Not just a gift.....but one my dd has wanted (I had planned on getting it for her birthday next month). It is $40. I didn't plan on them exchanging gifts....much less $40 ones. What do I do?

Replies

• bellaamore
    December 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Just allow your daughter to choose something she thinks her friend really wants.

• touchingstars
    Get her a gift and leave it at that
  • Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2

Guess you're going to have to go out & buy the friend a gift.

• twinmommy27
    December 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    Get a gift. I don't think the price should have to necessarily match though.

Sucks, but what can ya do.
  • ButterMeUp
    December 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    Damn! That's expensive. Normally people cap gifts for their children's friends at 15-20. I would just give your DD a twenty and let her pick out something.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    December 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah. Except I struggled just to give my kiddo and nephew presents. My husband took off with all our money in Sept and left me with all our bills..  I got my dd her presents and was able to get my nephew stuff.  I bought stuff to make the adults presents....but I really don't have the money to be going out and buying extras. My friend knows this. 

• Kris_PBG
    December 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Ugh - go buy something...  Not fun when that happens!

There are some great sales - so you can probably find something that retails for a LOT more than you will pay for it....

Dh got 2 $17 board games yesterday for $8 each...  So we are bringing a gift that retails for $34 for just under $20.  (I am adding on a couple things - but you get the idea).  :)

• MommyFlood
    December 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    Maybe she doesn't expect you to get anything. If she's a good friend and knows your situation she shouldn't be giving your DD a present with the expectation of a return present. Maybe she just wanted to do something nice.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah. Except I struggled just to give my kiddo and nephew presents. My husband took off with all our money in Sept and left me with all our bills..  I got my dd her presents and was able to get my nephew stuff.  I bought stuff to make the adults presents....but I really don't have the money to be going out and buying extras. My friend knows this. 

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    December 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Ugh - go buy something...  Not fun when that happens!

There are some great sales - so you can probably find something that retails for a LOT more than you will pay for it....

Dh got 2 $17 board games yesterday for $8 each...  So we are bringing a gift that retails for $34 for just under $20.  (I am adding on a couple things - but you get the idea).  :)

The issue is that I struggled to provide presents for my dd and nephew.  I just don't have money to spare.  Literally I get paid on Friday and have less than $100. I need gas and food for the week.  My soon to be ex screwed me royally and until we go to court in Jan he will continue.  

• darcibeisheim
    December 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Are you sure that this friend got the gift for your dd, or maybe her mom bought it for her instead and used your dd as a cover up...?

Talk to the other mom... tell her xxx mentoioned that you have purchased xxx as a gift for dd... while, I don't mind the kids exchanging gifts, but that is out of my price range..

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts