Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
I have to buy another Christmas gift I wasn't planning
by Anonymous
December 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Dds friend spent the day with us yesterday. Her friend told us that they got my dd a gift.  Not just a gift.....but one my dd has wanted (I had planned on getting it for her birthday next month). It is $40. I didn't plan on them exchanging gifts....much less $40 ones. What do I do?

Replies

• bellaamore
    December 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Just allow your daughter to choose something she thinks her friend really wants.

• touchingstars
    Get her a gift and leave it at that
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous

Guess you're going to have to go out & buy the friend a gift.

• twinmommy27
    December 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    Get a gift. I don't think the price should have to necessarily match though.

Sucks, but what can ya do.
  • ButterMeUp
    December 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    Damn! That's expensive. Normally people cap gifts for their children's friends at 15-20. I would just give your DD a twenty and let her pick out something.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    December 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah. Except I struggled just to give my kiddo and nephew presents. My husband took off with all our money in Sept and left me with all our bills..  I got my dd her presents and was able to get my nephew stuff.  I bought stuff to make the adults presents....but I really don't have the money to be going out and buying extras. My friend knows this. 

• Kris_PBG
    December 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Ugh - go buy something...  Not fun when that happens!

There are some great sales - so you can probably find something that retails for a LOT more than you will pay for it....

Dh got 2 $17 board games yesterday for $8 each...  So we are bringing a gift that retails for $34 for just under $20.  (I am adding on a couple things - but you get the idea).  :)

• MommyFlood
    December 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    Maybe she doesn't expect you to get anything. If she's a good friend and knows your situation she shouldn't be giving your DD a present with the expectation of a return present. Maybe she just wanted to do something nice.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah. Except I struggled just to give my kiddo and nephew presents. My husband took off with all our money in Sept and left me with all our bills..  I got my dd her presents and was able to get my nephew stuff.  I bought stuff to make the adults presents....but I really don't have the money to be going out and buying extras. My friend knows this. 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    December 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Ugh - go buy something...  Not fun when that happens!

There are some great sales - so you can probably find something that retails for a LOT more than you will pay for it....

Dh got 2 $17 board games yesterday for $8 each...  So we are bringing a gift that retails for $34 for just under $20.  (I am adding on a couple things - but you get the idea).  :)

The issue is that I struggled to provide presents for my dd and nephew.  I just don't have money to spare.  Literally I get paid on Friday and have less than $100. I need gas and food for the week.  My soon to be ex screwed me royally and until we go to court in Jan he will continue.  

• darcibeisheim
    December 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Are you sure that this friend got the gift for your dd, or maybe her mom bought it for her instead and used your dd as a cover up...?

Talk to the other mom... tell her xxx mentoioned that you have purchased xxx as a gift for dd... while, I don't mind the kids exchanging gifts, but that is out of my price range..

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts