Mom Confessions

Anonymous
DF wants me to return some of the gifts I got for my kids to buy for his
by Anonymous
December 8, 2012 at 12:43 AM

He got laid off 2 weeks ago, then his car needed work that cost a lot more then he had planned. On top of that, when they did the walk through for him to move out of his apartment, they are charging him for BS damage that was done before he even moved in. Basically, he is broke.

He was supposed to be getting a Christmas bonus from his work, instead they laid him off and the Christmas bonus was going to go to buying his kids presents. We are moving in together now but we decided that this would be the last Christmas we buy stuff for our kids separately. I have already gotten my kid's presents and a few things for his kids but he hasn't gotten anything for his kids.

Since there was a problem with my last paycheck (instead of putting 5% of it into my 401k and me getting the rest, they gave me a check for 5% and put the rest in my 401K) I don't have much extra money, espcially now knowing that I will be supporting all of us (well his kids while they are with us) on my paycheck alone until he can get a new job. Now, they will be fixing my pay check but it could take a little bit so in the meantime, I have enough to pay the bills and buy food.

DF said that since there is no money to buy his kids stuff, I should take back some of the stuff I got for my kids to buy his kids stuff. The way I see it 1. we agreed to do separately this year so it's not fair for him to expect me to do this 2. I did buy his kids a few things so it's not like they will have nothing 3. They will be getting stuff at their mom's house so it's not like that's all they are getting for Christmas (I am widowed so my kids don't have a dad's house to go to)

What would you do?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 8% - Take back a few of your kid's gifts to buy his more
  2. 91% - Just give his kids what you already have for them

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    December 8, 2012 at 12:49 AM

I forgot to put this: I got my kids about $200 worth of stuff each, I got his kids $50 each

• svolkov
    by svolkov
    December 8, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I thin k u should borrow from your 401k

ours allows us to borrow a certain percentage once a year without penalty as long as its paid back within a certain time frame

• queencreekmom
    December 8, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Nope. My kids would get their stuff. 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    December 8, 2012 at 12:53 AM
    Maybe this is insensitive but it is not your responsibility and you shouldn't have to take from your kids for his. He should have planned better. And like you said, you already got his kids a few things, you didn't have to do that at all. I say just give them what you already have for them.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    December 8, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Quoting svolkov:

I thin k u should borrow from your 401k

It takes 30 days to do that so there isn't enough time for that

• beaularson91
    December 8, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Yeah, his situation is unfortunate, but it's unfair for him to expect you to take from your kids.

• PitbullPrincess
    December 8, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Umm. You porovided for yours. It's his reaponsibility to provide for his. Period.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    I wouldn't take anything back. I would feel horrible for taking my children's Christmas presents back. They are your chdren so they come before anyone else's. it would be different if they didn't have anything but like you said, they'll be getting stuff from their mothers.
  • LizzieAnnesMom
    I agree

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe this is insensitive but it is not your responsibility and you shouldn't have to take from your kids for his. He should have planned better. And like you said, you already got his kids a few things, you didn't have to do that at all. I say just give them what you already have for them.
  • lilblu399
    There is still like 2 weeks til christmas, he better get off his ass and find some work if he wants his kids to have stuff. I wouldn't take from my kids.

Mom Confessions