Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Stress, growing pains, or ?
by Anonymous
December 7, 2012 at 8:49 AM
ds is 4 1/2 yrs old. For a couple weeks he's been complaining on and off (at least once a day) that he either does not feel good or a certain body part hurt. sometimes his tummy. Last night was legs. It's been his head before too. No fever. Normal appetite. Been sleeping more and is more Tired than usual. He has been refusing to visit dad and I know is stressed about that but not sure if there's more to this or is it just overwhelming stress. What do you ladies think?

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    December 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    Bump
  • JC2223
    by JC2223
    December 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM

When does he complain about these things? Is it right before or after he has to do something he doesn't want to do? What's going on in his environments that would trigger a stress response? If there is nothing causing a stress response, then it could be growing pains or a growth spurt. Growing pains or aches from a growth spurt are more likely to happen at night or when he is sleeping. Also after a periods of high physical activity. He could also have a viral infection.

• Anonymous
    December 7, 2012 at 9:52 AM
    Quoting JC2223:

When does he complain about these things? Is it right before or after he has to do something he doesn't want to do? What's going on in his environments that would trigger a stress response? If there is nothing causing a stress response, then it could be growing pains or a growth spurt. Growing pains or aches from a growth spurt are more likely to happen at night or when he is sleeping. Also after a periods of high physical activity. He could also have a viral infection.

Sometimes it's when he first wakes up. Sometimes mid day. Sometimes at night which he normally resists going to bed but now he's asking to sleep:O his tummy hurts everytime his dad comes to try to pick him up. It's Been a couple weeks and no fever. Still could be viral?
  • Anonymous
    December 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    Bump
  • JC2223
    by JC2223
    December 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JC2223:

Sometimes it's when he first wakes up. Sometimes mid day. Sometimes at night which he normally resists going to bed but now he's asking to sleep:O his tummy hurts everytime his dad comes to try to pick him up. It's Been a couple weeks and no fever. Still could be viral?

The tummy hurting in relation to his father's visits is probably anxiety and nerves. Find out what is going on there that is causing him to stress. That's a HUGE red flag you need to look into. Not all viruses cause the body to run a fever, so yes it could be viral. Kids sleep more during growth spurts and aches and pains are not unusual during one. But the tummy thing with his dad is a concern. Kids his age can't process stress and anxiety feelings and usually complain of stomach aches instead.

• melissam21
    December 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    It sounds like anxiety. I know when I was younger and didnt know that I had anxiety I always felt sick especially before doing something I didnt want to do like go to school. I always had headaches, stomach aches, body aches.
  • mom2priceboys
    December 7, 2012 at 1:31 PM

sounds a bit like stress and growing pains.

• jdfmommy
    December 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Do you think his dad could maybe be abusive emotionally, physically, mentally, or even sexually???? I'd be worried. It sounds like hes getting anxiety about his dad...

• Anonymous
    December 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    Quoting jdfmommy:

Do you think his dad could maybe be abusive emotionally, physically, mentally, or even sexually???? I'd be worried. It sounds like hes getting anxiety about his dad...

Verbally/emotionally possibly. He yells a lot.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    December 7, 2012 at 1:49 PM

i had horrible anxiety as child. a situation occured where my aunt and cousins came to live with us and turned my calm, quiet loving family of three into a freakin war zone of constant yelling and fighting. For a year i threw up several times a day every day. and in kindergarten i was afraid of a certain teacher and every day when it was time for computer class i would get the worst upset stomach that they put a couch in the computer room and instead of participating i just laid down and watched. maybe go talk to his ped? 

If it's stress/anxiety maybe they can suggest something you can do to help? If it's something else I sure they will have suggestions as well. And as a pp said, look into why he doesn't want to go to his dads? Maybe talk to his dad and tell him you think it would be a good idea to take a break on going there. Maybe give him some time off of the stress to go, just take it off the table for awhile so he can relax ya know?

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts