Mom Confessions

thetrollcat
Gossip post about Christians! That's right.
December 7, 2012 at 2:10 AM

So, how many christians in this group believes that the world is only 4,000 years old?

Replies

• thetrollcat
    December 7, 2012 at 2:39 AM

I have never met any christian (but then again I do not really hang out that much or discuss this topic in general with christian) that honestly believes the earth is only 4,0000 years old or 6,000 for that matter. Im not saying they dont exist, perhaps some really do believe.

I also know that not all christians dismiss science. Science is also proving existance of things that happened in the bible.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Stop blowing their minds with rational hard science sassy. They might start speaking in tongues.

Quoting Sassy762:

Age of the Earth

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Earth as seen from Apollo 17

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.05 billion years (4.54 × 109 years ± 1%).[1][2][3] This age is based on evidence from radiometric age dating of meteorite material and is consistent with the ages of the oldest-known terrestrial and lunar samples. Following the scientific revolution and the development of radiometric age dating, measurements of lead in uranium-rich mineralsshowed that some were in excess of a billion years old.[4]

The oldest such minerals analyzed to date – small crystals of zircon from the Jack Hills of Western Australia – are at least 4.404 billion years old.[5][6][7] Comparing the mass and luminosity of the Sun to the magnitudes of other stars, it appears that the solar system cannot be much older than those rocks. Ca-Al-rich inclusions (inclusions rich in calcium and aluminium) – the oldest known solid constituents within meteorites that are formed within the solar system – are 4.567 billion years old,[8][9] giving an age for the solar system and an upper limit for the age of Earth.

It is hypothesised that the accretion of Earth began soon after the formation of the Ca-Al-rich inclusions and the meteorites. Because the exact accretion time of Earth is not yet known, and the predictions from different accretion models range from a few millions up to about 100 million years, the exact age of Earth is difficult to determine. It is also difficult to determine the exact age of the oldest rocks on Earth, exposed at the surface, as they are aggregates of minerals of possibly different ages.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    December 7, 2012 at 2:40 AM

I have but a clue, honestly. There are so many different types of Christians, it is unbelievable.
    But I do know that many do believe in this, because many believe the Big Bang theory as blasphemy.

Quoting thetrollcat:

So which christians believe the earth may only be 4,000-6,000 years old?

Quoting Anonymous:

If you go off of the creationalist standpoint, as in the generations from Adam and Eve and so forth, it is somewhere around 4,000-6,000 years old.
    That's a certain type of christian though, not all.

Quoting thetrollcat:

according to which bible, what verses and so forth?

Quoting Anonymous:

If you read the bible, it clearly states the world is around 4,000 years old.

• thetrollcat
    December 7, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Broad term yes, loosely used yes, too much generalizing yes, too many practices in Christianity yes, there is no one blanket statement that fits all. I agree.

Quoting Anonymous:

Many do. It is their belief. Many believe divorce iforbidden, dinosaurs never existed, they will populate other worlds, wives must be beaten regularly, and so on. Christian is a broad broad term.

Quoting thetrollcat:

I believe alot of christians believe this as well, but according to an anonymous in another post, she claims that CHRISTIANS believe the earth is only 4,000 years old. I just dont buy it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Of course not. The dating of lives in the Bible is not properly understood. I believe it is still a mystery to us.

• thefiregoddess
    December 7, 2012 at 2:41 AM

I knew one back in a myspace group back in the day.. TurtleChick87 or something.

She also believed dinosaur bones were planted by the devil to trick us all.

I know someone, his new wife believes the earth is 4k old, shes a tongue speaking pentacostal nutto.

Quoting thetrollcat:

I have never met any christian (but then again I do not really hang out that much or discuss this topic in general with christian) that honestly believes the earth is only 4,0000 years old or 6,000 for that matter. Im not saying they dont exist, perhaps some really do believe.

I also know that not all christians dismiss science. Science is also proving existance of things that happened in the bible.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Stop blowing their minds with rational hard science sassy. They might start speaking in tongues.

Quoting Sassy762:

Age of the Earth

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.05 billion years (4.54 × 109 years ± 1%).[1][2][3] This age is based on evidence from radiometric age dating of meteorite material and is consistent with the ages of the oldest-known terrestrial and lunar samples. Following the scientific revolution and the development of radiometric age dating, measurements of lead in uranium-rich mineralsshowed that some were in excess of a billion years old.[4]

The oldest such minerals analyzed to date – small crystals of zircon from the Jack Hills of Western Australia – are at least 4.404 billion years old.[5][6][7] Comparing the mass and luminosity of the Sun to the magnitudes of other stars, it appears that the solar system cannot be much older than those rocks. Ca-Al-rich inclusions (inclusions rich in calcium and aluminium) – the oldest known solid constituents within meteorites that are formed within the solar system – are 4.567 billion years old,[8][9] giving an age for the solar system and an upper limit for the age of Earth.

It is hypothesised that the accretion of Earth began soon after the formation of the Ca-Al-rich inclusions and the meteorites. Because the exact accretion time of Earth is not yet known, and the predictions from different accretion models range from a few millions up to about 100 million years, the exact age of Earth is difficult to determine. It is also difficult to determine the exact age of the oldest rocks on Earth, exposed at the surface, as they are aggregates of minerals of possibly different ages.

• mama_of_tw0
    December 7, 2012 at 2:42 AM

I never really thought about it lol 

• RoseBlossom
    December 7, 2012 at 2:43 AM

there is nothing wrong with speaking in tongues, have you ever tried it? if not, please dont make fun of a sacred thing for us

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Quoting Sassy762:

Age of the Earth

• thetrollcat
    December 7, 2012 at 2:43 AM

I am positive that some christians and churches are nuts. Afterall that one baptist church is a good demonstration of just that. I also know there are many non denomination church believers that have different views and belief of the bible.

Like others have said, I think there are so many different types of christianity you really cannot blanket statement the term anymore. They all seem to have their own views, opinions, statements, practices and so forth.

Nothing surprises me though.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

I knew one back in a myspace group back in the day.. TurtleChick87 or something.

She also believed dinosaur bones were planted by the devil to trick us all.

I know someone, his new wife believes the earth is 4k old, shes a tongue speaking pentacostal nutto.

• BluePandaDreams
    December 7, 2012 at 2:44 AM
    I thought it was 6,000 years old, based on the notion that since a day equals 1,000 years to God and since He created everything in 6 days.....oh well, things don't add up in the cafemom universe half the time.

For the record, no I don't believe the planet is only a few thousand years old. I believe evolution explains how creation happened.
  • black.eyeliner
    December 7, 2012 at 2:45 AM
    You are lucky. Most of the homeschooling moms I know believe this. Homeschooling books often teach this. I have tlobe careful buying books because of this.

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Quoting Sassy762:

Age of the Earth

• thetrollcat
    December 7, 2012 at 2:47 AM

I guess that would depend what branch teaches this... Ya know JW, or Catholic, or so forth.

Quoting black.eyeliner:

You are lucky. Most of the homeschooling moms I know believe this. Homeschooling books often teach this. I have tlobe careful buying books because of this.

Mom Confessions