Mom Confessions

Anonymous
i'm worried dd is not ready for school..
by Anonymous
December 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM
School starts in September. DD will be turning 4 2 months after September. I don't think she is ready...

No one can understand what she says. I do, because I know what she means because I'm around her 24/7... but some person off the street has no clue what she's saying 90% of the time.

She has a lisp to.. so it doesn't help.

Aside from that, she is very bright and catches on quickly. She's smart and very polite to everyone. She understands right from wrong. She very much enjoys learning, sharing and helping.

Just her speech... she's been like this since 18 months.. I work with her everyday on words and how to say them. She tries so hard. Would a school still accept her with a speech delay?

Replies

• barrelracer1699
    December 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM

You have almost a year. Sometimes the lisps will grow out, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the school will take a child due to it and put them in a speach class. My son wasn't in speach in Preschool but in Kindergarten they put him in for his "V" sound. If your worried talk to her pedi and see if they think she is on track or not. My daughter will be 4 in May and not many outsiders can understand her, unless they have kids. I'm not worried at all!

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    December 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Pre-school?

• notjstanothrmom
    December 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM

You don't think she is ready for preschool? It's not like a pass or fail type of thing, that is what will prepare her for Kindergarten if you cannot do so yourself. If you can and don't want to send her then don't. My kids never went to preschool.

• lucky2Beeme
    December 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM

have you sought help for her speech? if not do it.

• Amy_M
    by Amy_M

Check with your school district, they may be able to offer her speech therapy.  (if that is where the preschool is located)

• Christie825

She'll be fine and most likely your school will have a speach therapist on staff that can get an early start helping her.

Are you sure your school will take her? DD's bday is the end of Sept and I thought for sure she'd be able to attend the year she turned 4 but the rule here is they are 4 before the first day of school or they wait till next year

• sweetmissy_05
    December 5, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Here at age 4 they go to school readiness for a year to prepare them for kindergarten. It's a great program.

• baquick
    by baquick
    You can try talking to your pedi about some speech therapy, also the school might have a program
  • ginger813

I hope you're talking about preschool and not kindergarten. Have you thought about having her evaluated by Early intervention to see if she needs speech therapy? My middle child started speech therapy right after she turned 2, and continued with it until just after she turned 4.

• MrS.GiFFord

She will go to speech therapy while at school. My husband had a lisp when he was young and thats what happened with him. He is really smart but hardly anyone could understand him lol. My oldest is Autistic and goes to speech therapy. Is she in speech therapy now? You should really look in to it.

Mom Confessions