Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
acaisha
My employeer is forcing me to get a flu shot...
by acaisha
November 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM

they basically told us we have to get one or wear a mask from Dec 1st until March 31st. The problem with that is we work in a residential program.. we are expected to do day to day activities.. we are even going to have to wear it outside in the community with the youth. We are going to have to eat in the office.. which is crap because we will NEVER get time to eat and we are suppose to eat with the kids...

the union veto'ed them making us wear stickers if we didn't have the shot since it was stigmatizing.. so why the heck can they stigmatize us with face masks??

Just waiting to call my union..

Replies

• acaisha
    by acaisha
    November 30, 2012 at 11:26 AM

oh and these kids are out in the public.. they go to school.. they go to work.. they volunteer.. they are not immune compromised... they are teens. They do not have to get the flu shot.. but we do? wtf.. it makes no sense.

• ria7
    by ria7
    November 30, 2012 at 11:26 AM

You can join the "choosing not to vax" group for some great ways to fight this. 

• BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
    November 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM

That sucks.

Maybe you can get a doctor to write you a note, saying you can't have it. I dunno. I would try everything. Lol. I don't do flu shots. So, I wouldn't be happy about being forced to get one.

• mamakat070812
    My employer requires the same but i work with cancer patients so i understand.
  • Kylie819
    I don't see the problem. If you work with a higher risk group (elderly, children) they need to take measures to protect those people. The flu can be far more serious for them. My friend is a PICU nurse and is required to get a flu shot.

Oh, an I don't get flu shots for my family, so it's not like I think everyone should get one.
  • acaisha
    by acaisha
    November 30, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Quoting ria7:

You can join the "choosing not to vax" group for some great ways to fight this. 

I live in Canada.. does that matter? this is the letter from the union regarding stickers.. it seems pretty clear its not okay to stigmatize us.. so why the hell are masks okay??

Provincial Flu Shot Policy Information & Sticker Change

Community Bargaining Association (CBA) representatives met with representatives of the Health Employers Association (HEABC) on November 26 to raise concerns about the employers' influenza (flu) immunization policy. The union continues to encourage members to become immunized to protect vulnerable clients. But, several aspects of the policy are problematic.

For one, the lack of consultation between HEABC and the CBA prior to the employer creating the policy. This has created a number of difficulties. The employers' policy is broad and this has led to different practices across the province.

The CBA also raised concerns about health care workers having to wear a sticker indicating whether or not they’ve had a flu shot. This, we feel, stigmatizes workers. There was also concern raised about the process whereby members were required to notify the employer that they’d been immunized. 

Sticker Change
    The stickers were originally designed to inform the employer who has had the flu shot and who has not. Members were being required to visibly display a sticker or badge that clearly stated that the member had been immunized.  Members who were not immunized were required to wear a different sticker. Members objected strongly to this portion of the policy.

HEABC members have now informed us they’ve heard the concerns of workers and have changed the policy.

Effective immediately, only those workers who’ve had the flu shot will wear a sticker. We understand the sticker is white with a green graphic.

HEABC has agreed the sticker can be worn on the back of a worker's identification badge, allowing the worker's privacy to be respected. A worker has only to show the sticker if requested by a representative of the employer. 

The CBA will continue to follow this issue.

The CBA represents more than 14,000 members, the majority of whom are represented by the BCGEU. Other unions in the Association are UFCW, HEU, CUPE, HSA, and USWA.

• acaisha
    by acaisha
    November 30, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Quoting Kylie819:

I don't see the problem. If you work with a higher risk group (elderly, children) they need to take measures to protect those people. The flu can be far more serious for them. My friend is a PICU nurse and is required to get a flu shot.

Oh, an I don't get flu shots for my family, so it's not like I think everyone should get one.

teens are not higher risk.. and like I said.. they are not closed in.. they go out in the community all the time.. every day.. around everyone else who has not had the flu shot.. they are not required to wear a mask or get the shot.. we have to walk around like plague carriers because we choose not to put crap into our bodies? I take vitamin D and stay healthy.. I haven't had the flu for 4 years... I am fully prepared to burn my sick days if I get sick and not go to work..

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous

tell them you'll wear their damn sticker

• sparklebug86

seriously? they were going to makeyou wear a sticker? what does that remind you of????

• Kylie819
    November 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    Ah, I didn't see anything about teens in the OP.

If you are just working with average, healthy teens then it seems unnecessary.

Quoting acaisha:

Quoting Kylie819:

teens are not higher risk.. and like I said.. they are not closed in.. they go out in the community all the time.. every day.. around everyone else who has not had the flu shot.. they are not required to wear a mask or get the shot.. we have to walk around like plague carriers because we choose not to put crap into our bodies? I take vitamin D and stay healthy.. I haven't had the flu for 4 years... I am fully prepared to burn my sick days if I get sick and not go to work..

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts