Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
acaisha
My employeer is forcing me to get a flu shot...
by acaisha
November 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM

they basically told us we have to get one or wear a mask from Dec 1st until March 31st. The problem with that is we work in a residential program.. we are expected to do day to day activities.. we are even going to have to wear it outside in the community with the youth. We are going to have to eat in the office.. which is crap because we will NEVER get time to eat and we are suppose to eat with the kids...

the union veto'ed them making us wear stickers if we didn't have the shot since it was stigmatizing.. so why the heck can they stigmatize us with face masks??

Just waiting to call my union..

Replies

• lovinmykiddo07
    November 30, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    Yup. Landed myself in the ER.

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

I had a reaction to the flu shot. So glad I'll never be forced into getting one again!

What bullshit.

• justinnaimee
    November 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    Lmao. I think your auto correct is funny!

Quoting joshlor2:

I totally understand this!!!! My DH is required to get a flu shot every year. He always gets dick directly after, and he also gets the flu every year(yes confirmed by doctors)

My son used to get fly shots and he would spent the winter sick. Chronic bronchitis they said, caused by constand colds/flu......but once I stopped getting him his flu shot he never got bronchitis again. He hardly catches colds now.

My dd has never had a flu shot and rarely gets sick, and has never had the flu.

Coincidence?....maybe, but I won't force a flu shot on my family. Not worth the risk.

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

Oh geez.

Go away now. Stop quoting me. Lol.

You're not very good at picking up on hints. This is something I'm not going to research or am I going to go back and forth on with you.

Like I said, I was giving my personal experince. Drop it already.

Quoting Shermy:

Yes, why would you inform yourself when scientifically, you are making incorrect statements. That is crazy. 

You wouldn't have had the virus in our body before getting it (I mean you could have), you could have gotten one of MANY illnesses after. I just had a bad stomach bug for the first time in, crap, like 9 years. Was it the flu, nope. Did everyone call it the flu because I was throwing up pretty seriously? You betcha. It was just a stomach bug. I highly doubt it was the flu. There are lots of things people "thing" are the flu, and very few of them are guarded against with the flu shot.  

I don't get the flu shot, I have no stake in the game, this train o thought just isn't correct. 

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

Im not going to bother researching anything. Lik

It e I said, I'll take my personal experience. That's enough to keep me away from flu shots.

I'm not buying that everytime I had a flu shot I just happened to already have the virus in my body before getting it or it was some other illness. That would be some shitty luck on my end, I suppose. Lol. 

It really isn't a big deal. I was just sharing my experience.

Quoting Shermy:

Hey, if that is more fun to believe, more power to ya. 

I only know about the flu shot, but the flu shot is a dead virus -- not some weird zombie virus that comes back kicking to infect you. I would love to know more about your research based ideas about how this virus is able to make you sick The nasal spray though....I believe that is a live, but weak virius, right? Someone?

Fun study - double blind study where adults were given either the flu shot or a shot of saline water
    http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=193139

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

I haven't had a flu shot in 9 years now, and I can count on one hand how many times I've been sick in those 9 years.

However every time I've ever got a flu shot, 2-3 days later, I'm sick as a dog. When I used to get them. 

I read most of the article. Not believing it. Lol. I'll take my personal experience over what it's saying, to be honest.

Quoting Shermy:

...and boom goes the dynamite 

http://coldflu.about.com/od/fluvaccinequestions/f/illafterflushot.htm

Quoting Anonymous:

Everyone I've known who's gotten the shot has gotten sick from it. It's a friggen scam.

• momof3superkids
    November 30, 2012 at 2:01 PM

All of my kids except our 5 month old got their flu shots and I will be getting mine as soon as I get over the crap I am sick with right now.

• acaisha
    by acaisha
    November 30, 2012 at 3:19 PM

so everyone who goes into public should have to get a flu shot?

Quoting thanush:

I think they are right to make you get it, OR wear a mask. Specially because you work with public. If you don't want to get the shot fine. Wear the damn mask!

• TranquilMind
    November 30, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Oh, that's ridiculous....the sticker is "stigmatizing" but the face mask, making you look like a danger to all, is NOT? 

Idiots.  Didn't you tell me you had a religious exemption?  Or didn't you visit that alternative doctor that wrote you an exemption? 

• caito
    by caito
    November 30, 2012 at 3:26 PM

That's what happened to my dad last year. As you can imagine pretty much everyone got the shot. 

• acaisha
    by acaisha
    November 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM

you could but they would just say "wear the mask" the thing is we are suppose to be a home like setting.. we do everything with the kids.. we generally don't even get a break... they aren't just asking us to put a mask on when we go into someones room like a nurse.. they are expecting us to out ourselves as not having a flu shot.. walk around in public wearing a mask..etc..

Quoting TranquilMind:

Oh, that's ridiculous....the sticker is "stigmatizing" but the face mask, making you look like a danger to all, is NOT? 

Idiots.  Didn't you tell me you had a religious exemption?  Or didn't you visit that alternative doctor that wrote you an exemption? 

• angevil53
    November 30, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    Bc the masks are a barrier to stop the disease hopefully. The stickers do nothing.

Quoting acaisha:

Quoting ria7:

You can join the "choosing not to vax" group for some great ways to fight this. 

I live in Canada.. does that matter? this is the letter from the union regarding stickers.. it seems pretty clear its not okay to stigmatize us.. so why the hell are masks okay??

Provincial Flu Shot Policy Information & Sticker Change

Community Bargaining Association (CBA) representatives met with
    representatives of the Health Employers Association (HEABC) on November
    26 to raise concerns about the employers' influenza (flu) immunization
    policy. The union continues to encourage members to become immunized to
    protect vulnerable clients. But, several aspects of the policy are
    problematic.

For one, the lack of consultation between HEABC and the CBA prior to
    the employer creating the policy. This has created a number of
    difficulties. The employers' policy is broad and this has led to
    different practices across the province.

The CBA also raised concerns about health care workers having to wear a
    sticker indicating whether or not they’ve had a flu shot. This, we
    feel, stigmatizes workers. There was also concern raised about the
    process whereby members were required to notify the employer that they’d
    been immunized. 

Sticker Change

The stickers were originally designed to inform the employer who has
    had the flu shot and who has not. Members were being required to visibly
    display a sticker or badge that clearly stated that the member had been
    immunized.  Members who were not immunized were required to wear a
    different sticker. Members objected strongly to this portion of the
    policy.

HEABC members have now informed us they’ve heard the concerns of workers and have changed the policy.

Effective immediately, only those workers who’ve had the flu shot will
    wear a sticker. We understand the sticker is white with a green graphic.

HEABC has agreed the sticker can be worn on the back of a worker's
    identification badge, allowing the worker's privacy to be respected. A
    worker has only to show the sticker if requested by a representative of
    the employer. 

The CBA will continue to follow this issue.

The CBA represents more than 14,000 members, the majority of whom are
    represented by the BCGEU. Other unions in the Association are UFCW,
    HEU, CUPE, HSA, and USWA.

• thanush
    by thanush
    November 30, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    Yes. if not wear a mask during the flu season when interacting with kids.
    Quoting acaisha:

• Mandy575
    December 1, 2012 at 3:13 AM
    You have no idea what is going on in their bodies. So you PERSONALLY know each and every kids health records? BS!

Quoting acaisha:

they are teens..they are not a vulnerable population for illness.

Quoting Mandy575:

Just because they are out in the community does not mean they don't have a compromised immune system. If you think that you are very mistaken.

Quoting acaisha:

Quoting Kylie819:

I don't see the problem. If you work with a higher risk group (elderly, children) they need to take measures to protect those people. The flu can be far more serious for them. My friend is a PICU nurse and is required to get a flu shot.

Oh, an I don't get flu shots for my family, so it's not like I think everyone should get one.

teens are not higher risk.. and like I said.. they are not closed in.. they go out in the community all the time.. every day.. around everyone else who has not had the flu shot.. they are not required to wear a mask or get the shot.. we have to walk around like plague carriers because we choose not to put crap into our bodies? I take vitamin D and stay healthy.. I haven't had the flu for 4 years... I am fully prepared to burn my sick days if I get sick and not go to work..

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN