Mom Confessions

Anonymous
You know you're poor when...
by Anonymous
November 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM
You get excited to have hamburger in spaghetti! Noodles and sauce for as long as I can remember.

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 29, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Your problem wasn't that you were "poor" then, it was that you had extremely high expenses. HUGE difference, even if it doesn't feel like it. By the way, the people who make "just above" the qualifying levels wouldn't get much anyway, because the program is tiered. I know people who make "just below" the qualification and they receive about $30 a month in food stamps. So my statement still stands, if you don't qualify for food stamps then there is no reason why you can't afford your food. Obviously this doesn't apply if you have a family member with extreme medical expenses, but you didn't state that in your original post.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Oh dear. I do love it so when people make assumptions. Especially when they're so hilariously wrong.

I don't owe you any explanations, but I'm going to explain to help all of you understand where people like the OP are coming from.

See, there is this group of people who makes just above what it would take to qualify for assistance. Those people don't have anything paid for. Adding in insurance premiums alone can almost sink a family.

We were paying $1K/month in insurance premiums alone. Up until the "crisis", we had 2 cars that were paid off, no debt of any kind, & $20K in savings. Because of our savings goals, we fed our family of 5 on $200/month. We didn't have cable or fast internet. We lived frugally, but we didn't really struggle.

Within a year, we had sold both vehicles & purchased a high-mileage older van, we had exhausted our savings, it now cost $350/month (after insurance) just to feed & medicate our son (nevermind the rest of us). In addition to that, my son had at least weekly lab draws & doctor's visits...not including the frequent hospital stays or the blood transfusions that he needed. We ended that horrific year with over $42K in medical bill debt after having exhausted our every resource to pay what we could.

We made it through that year BECAUSE of my excellent money-management before we hit that crisis. We paid off those bills (finally) almost 8 years later & while continuing to manage his chronic illness & beginning the journey with mine BECAUSE of my excellent money-management.

So...next judgement attempt???

Quoting Anonymous:

If you didn't qualify for food stamps, there is no reason why you shouldn't have been able to afford pre-made bread and crackers. The food stamp program is very generous, it allows for some disposable income even, so if they determine that you make too much then you have PLENTY to eat off of. Your problem was that you were too dumb to manage your money properly. That isn't poor, that is stupid.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Sounds like you want that to be true. I'm sorry to disappoint you, though.

We were so poor that pre-made products & processed foods were a luxury that we couldn't afford. We didn't get food stamps or any government assistance. We didn't get the "luxury" of living off of Ramen noodles.

If we had bread or crackers, it was because we made them from scratch...from flour that we ground from whole grains. Because we had no other choice if we were to eat. Now THAT is poor.

We still eat that way today because we realized in the process how much healthier it was...but we have a choice now. HUGE difference from where we were.

Quoting Bluescorpia:

Sounds like someone never been poor

Quoting moneysaver6:

I agree with a previous poster here. If you can afford pre-made crackers & bread, then you're not that poor.

Quoting Bluescorpia:

Crackers & toasts lol

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Quoting purplerobin:

Quoting Anonymous:

If you didn't qualify for food stamps, there is no reason why you shouldn't have been able to afford pre-made bread and crackers. The food stamp program is very generous, it allows for some disposable income even, so if they determine that you make too much then you have PLENTY to eat off of. Your problem was that you were too dumb to manage your money properly. That isn't poor, that is stupid.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Sounds like you want that to be true. I'm sorry to disappoint you, though.

We were so poor that pre-made products & processed foods were a luxury that we couldn't afford. We didn't get food stamps or any government assistance. We didn't get the "luxury" of living off of Ramen noodles.

If we had bread or crackers, it was because we made them from scratch...from flour that we ground from whole grains. Because we had no other choice if we were to eat. Now THAT is poor.

We still eat that way today because we realized in the process how much healthier it was...but we have a choice now. HUGE difference from where we were.

Quoting Bluescorpia:

Sounds like someone never been poor

Quoting moneysaver6:

I agree with a previous poster here. If you can afford pre-made crackers & bread, then you're not that poor.

Quoting Bluescorpia:

Crackers & toasts lol

Maybe YOU are just a jerk, anon! She is in the area of income where she makes too much to qualify for any assistance, but not enough to totally be able to afford everything. Not only that, but the cost of food keeps going up and up all the time. There are coupons and sales and that helps, but food isn't the only thing she has to include in her budget.

Once again, if you make "just above" then there is STILL no reason why you shouldn't be able to afford everything your family needs to eat without having to ground your own flour or bake your own bread. If you made "just below" then you wouldn't suddenly receive hundreds of dollars and have everything paid for, you would get a TINY little bit of assistance but you would still be responsible for the bulk of it. If you made SIGNIFICANTLY below the qualification level, you would get a lot. As far as other expenses go, the amount you receive varies from region to region and takes cost of living into account, so if you're still having a hard time then it's due to your own poor money management.

• Redwoods_Mama
    November 29, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol I knew we had hit bottom when I hit dogs were a part of every meal. If they weren't a main dish they were a filler food. Good luck hun.

I swear I read this as "when THE DOGS were a part of every meal" and I was all *jawdrop* WTF?!  Do you just... prune off parts, you freaking psycho?

Uh.  Carry on. 

• blessed107
    November 29, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Reading this post makes me sad. I hope things get better for a lot of you!

• happymotherof6
    November 29, 2012 at 2:11 AM

this makes me sad too:( are you guys being truthful?

Quoting Famousglm714:

Me too. This whole thread. :(

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

Snakes! Omg I'm having anxiety thinking about that. This posts makes me so sad:/

Quoting Anonymous:

We didn't leave near any parks. We lived on a dirt road that had no name. We were pretty rural. We did have a small plum orchard in the back, but it didn't give fruits out all the time. We even ate snakes that we found and killed.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Yup. And learning which parks within walking distance have gardens or trees with edible fruit or leaves.

Quoting Anonymous:

Poor is going down the road to the cemetery to pick pears out of a tree there because you have nothing else.

• Devious333
    November 29, 2012 at 2:16 AM
    I believe it. I had neighbors as a kid once who would kill rattle snakes, rabbits, cats, and eat them.

Quoting happymotherof6:

this makes me sad too:( are you guys being truthful?

Quoting Famousglm714:

Me too. This whole thread. :(

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

Snakes! Omg I'm having anxiety thinking about that. This posts makes me so sad:/

Quoting Anonymous:

We didn't leave near any parks. We lived on a dirt road that had no name. We were pretty rural. We did have a small plum orchard in the back, but it didn't give fruits out all the time. We even ate snakes that we found and killed.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Yup. And learning which parks within walking distance have gardens or trees with edible fruit or leaves.

Quoting Anonymous:

Poor is going down the road to the cemetery to pick pears out of a tree there because you have nothing else.

• Devious333
    November 29, 2012 at 2:19 AM
    OP, ground turkey is cheaper, typically.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 29, 2012 at 2:19 AM
    Can be got for under $2.00

Quoting Anonymous:

You could afford pasta and sauce, that hardly qualifies as poor.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 29, 2012 at 2:24 AM
    Still makes my point . It's cheaper . 7 meals for a family of 5 or 4 meals for a family of 5 with rice and beans . May not be a meal but makes more people full

Quoting moneysaver6:

And ramen noodles isn't a "meal". Certainly one of them isn't. One package of those is equal to one serving for one person. You would need 5 of those packages for one meal for a family of 5.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where . Because a small bag here is 3.50. That will make maybe four cups . Then if you buy beans that like a 1.60. So with tax here your at about 6.00 for 4 meals . Not bad for one person .

Now ramen here is .15. So you can get 35 meals for 5.25 .

Quoting moneysaver6:

Again, I just don't get this when rice is cheaper & healthier.

Quoting mrsbrand:

When ramen counts as a food group in your diet.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 29, 2012 at 2:25 AM
    You know what! Go you. I've been on that boat. I have many mouths to feed and on food stamps. It doesn't cover through the mouth, so at the end of the month I am like that. Even if she makes too much for stamps. Bills and gas are expensive!!! Remember that.

Mom Confessions