Mom Confessions

LucyHarper
What Are Your Kids Reading?
November 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I'm always looking for good books to turn my kids onto. Right now my kids are reading-

Four year old son (almost five)- Finished Leonardo da Vinci from the Magic Treehouse Series tonight

Ten year old brother (I'm the guardian of my siblings)- To Kill a Mockingbird

13 year old sister- A Tale of Two Cities

17 year old brother- The Great Gatsby

and I read our (almost) month old son Stellaluna tonight.

What are your kids reading?

Also, our church is having a book sale, people from all over town donated books, the church is selling them and the profits go to charities, each of the kids are getting three books for Christmas and we have the books for all of the kids except for our four year old, who will be turning five five days after Christmas. So far we got him Leonardo da Vinci's Journal of Inventions which is a pop up book of his inventions and sketches, but we are looking for two more reading books as well, we wanted two more reading books as well. Theres one that we are considering called The Tree of Life: A Book Depicting the Life of Charles Darwin: Naturalist, Geologist & Thinker, we would probably have to read it with him because it's a little more difficult and dense then what he's used to but he loves science so we know he would like it, and we are looking for one more book, something that's more "fun." He can read basic childrens chapter books, like Little House on the Prarie and Magic Treehouse, but has trouble with books with larger more complicated words. It's okay if it has some more challenging language, we can help him along, just not anything too tough. He likes chapter books that he can read on his own. Any suggestion and have you read the other two that we are getting him?

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Wanna cookie? :)

• LucyHarper
    November 26, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Um, no, I want ideas for books for my kids to read and to know what others are reading...

Quoting Anonymous:

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 26, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Those are rather advanced books for their ages, so I think that many responses here won't be of much help to you. But I'll try. My youngest is reading the newest Diary of The Whimpy Kid and my oldest is reading Brave New World.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Um, no, I want ideas for books for my kids to read and to know what others are reading...

Quoting Anonymous:

• mommyof11050307
    November 26, 2012 at 1:01 AM
    Captin underpants.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 26, 2012 at 1:01 AM
    My son (3) and I are reading Winnie the Pooh. It's the first chapter book for us. He loves it and I excited to read a "Mommy book". We also read a large variety of picture books daily. His favorites right now are: Freight Train, Skippy John Jones, Pete tue Cat, Knuffle Bunny, How are you Feeling, ABC feelings, Elf on the Shelf, and Sesame look, see, find. He has so many books we could build a house.

I'm an avid reader so e is too.
  • armywifey26
    November 26, 2012 at 1:02 AM

My DD is way into Goosebumps right now 

• LucyHarper

All kids read on different levels, I'm just looking for ideas. They aren't interested in Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but what's Brave New World about?

Quoting Anonymous:

Those are rather advanced books for their ages, so I think that many responses here won't be of much help to you. But I'll try. My youngest is reading the newest Diary of The Whimpy Kid and my oldest is reading Brave New World.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Quoting Anonymous:

• Mrs.Miller11
    Harry Potter. She will be 5 next month.
  • Irenesmommy

my 5 year old is loving "A home for bunny" she can read the shorter words, she insists I read "Charlotte's web" to her

• WesternNYmom

My daughter loves the Magic Tree House series.  Has your son every read any books from the Choose Your Own Adventure series? My daughter loves these books because everytime you read them the story changes.  I loved these books growning up as well. If your child is into mysteries try the Encyclpedia Brown series or even the Hardy Boys series. 

Mom Confessions