Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
one_on_the_way
White privilege -- if you are white are you aware it exists? If you are not white are you aware it exits?
November 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Are you aware of the reality which has been labeled 'white privilege'?

(it takes 2 seconds to find out what 'white privilege' is (google is our friend) ---- it takes a lot longer to accept it exists --- whether an indiviual accepts it or not does not change the fact it DOES exist).

Replies

• Anonymous 66
    by Anonymous 66
    November 25, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    Is it "fair" that illegals are being allowed into america left and right and being catered to? You go to another country, you learn that country's language, there is no reason they should have to learn yours. If I go to mexico, I'll learn spanish. If I go to italy, I'll learn italian. But if you come to america? Fuck it! We'll bend over and learn YOUR LANGUAGE. That, is bullshit.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

I know that if I lived in an area with a large Spanish-speaking population - and that learning Spanish would increase my human capital - I would learn Spanish.  The simple fact you think that people 'shouldn't have to' learn a different language is an example of white privilege.  Why should you have to go against the 'norm' of speaking English?  That just isn't fair?  (Yet, expecting others to learn English IS fair?  Why?) --- Also, while some companies may have goals to increase their ethnic, cultural and racial diversity in their workforce can be difficult when laws require "no discrimination" (remember, Affirmative Action was created to encourage NO discrimination ---- up until it was enacted, minorities and those from other cultures were discriminated against).  You're right -- while it is illegal to have minority 'quotas' doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  Just like the fact it is illegal to not hire someone simply based on being black, or middle eastern, or native american  - doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Quoting Anonymous:

Just because its "illegal" doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Of course, most can learn to speak Spanish, but shouldn't have to so we can get a job in San Diego.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm white and have had a very hard time finding a job in San Diego. If you don't speak Spanish, the person who does will get the job. If they have to fill their minority spots, they get the job. I've worked with HR 3 times, I know how it works.

White people can't learn to speak Spanish?  I wasn't aware of that.

It is illegal to have 'quotas' to 'fill minority spots'.   

• AdellesMom
    November 25, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    That's not "special treatment." That represents a company that has to fill their "quota." The fact that you think that a white person should automatically get the job proves the existence of white privilege.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you aware that minority priviledge exists?

I've known many whites to be passed up for jobs & given to a minority; either same experience & schooling or the white person was actually more qualified than the minority.

Special treatment happens on ALL sides.

• AdellesMom
    November 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    Your statement is incorrect. Affirmative Action was instituted because of white privilege. Besides, Affirmative Action applies to all minorities. That includes women, the disabled, and veterans.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

if there is such a thing as "white privilege", affirmative action counters it.  Get over yourself.

• Anonymous 23
    by Anonymous 23
    November 25, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    Um how did you get that I feel a white person should automatically get the job? Yeah didn't even imply that.

Learn to read. When a white person is passed over when they are more qualified and the job is given to a minority less qualified, that is a privilege as far as I'm concerned.

Quoting AdellesMom:

That's not "special treatment." That represents a company that has to fill their "quota." The fact that you think that a white person should automatically get the job proves the existence of white privilege.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you aware that minority priviledge exists?

I've known many whites to be passed up for jobs & given to a minority; either same experience & schooling or the white person was actually more qualified than the minority.

Special treatment happens on ALL sides.

• wooly
    by wooly
    November 25, 2012 at 3:00 PM

OMG, is today going to turn in to a Race Day?? First i read ANAL SEX is a black thing and now this? No, I have no idea of a white priviledgedand in todays world i really think the idea of it is bullshit in the US we're not even in the Majority anymore, we're a minority!

• one_on_the_way
    November 25, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I think blacks, hispanics, and other nationalities get more privileges than whites. Black history month, hispanic history month, BET... Etc. Black scholarships, hispanic scholorships...chinese scholarships.. The list goes on and on... What do white people have? Nada zip ziltch...nothing. Why? Because to create something like that for white people is racisim. Ignorance is bliss I suppose. You just keep being stupid.. Must be a wonderful world you live in.

Why do you think there are things like "Black History Month" "Native American History Month", etc?  Whites have NOTHING?  How about every history text book you've been given in school?  As far as scholarships --- there are scholarships for women, for single mothers, for low-income, for first-generation students, for Accounting majors, for Psychology majors, for ANY major you can think of, scholarships based on academic performance, based on athletic talent, based on essays, based on dancing ability, based on music, based on European decent (Polish-Americans - Irish-Americans, German-Americans, etc....) --- Yet you say people who are white get nada, zip, ziltch?  I will certainly not feel upset that minorities, who HAD NO SCHOLARSHIPS offered to them for many, many, years while white people had all the opportunities available to them, now have scholarships focusing on them.  Why would that bother someone?  Historically, minority populations were NOT ALLOWED to get higher education.  I think our country has some catching up to do and I would never resent any opportunites ANYONE has to reach their goals.  

Your reply is an absolutely prime example of the existence of white privilege.  You notice EVERYTHING that doesn't have to do with being white ---- why?  Because we live in a society where being white is the 'norm'.  God forbide WE ever feel 'left out' or 'segregated'.  

• Anonymous 56
    by Anonymous 56
    November 25, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    Really, that's white privilege if we shouldn't have to learn Spanish? Then is it Hispanic privilege when they shouldn't have to learn English to live a area that has a large English speaking population?

Quoting one_on_the_way:

I know that if I lived in an area with a large Spanish-speaking population - and that learning Spanish would increase my human capital - I would learn Spanish.  The simple fact you think that people 'shouldn't have to' learn a different language is an example of white privilege.  Why should you have to go against the 'norm' of speaking English?  That just isn't fair?  (Yet, expecting others to learn English IS fair?  Why?) --- Also, while some companies may have goals to increase their ethnic, cultural and racial diversity in their workforce can be difficult when laws require "no discrimination" (remember, Affirmative Action was created to encourage NO discrimination ---- up until it was enacted, minorities and those from other cultures were discriminated against).  You're right -- while it is illegal to have minority 'quotas' doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  Just like the fact it is illegal to not hire someone simply based on being black, or middle eastern, or native american  - doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Quoting Anonymous:

Just because its "illegal" doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Of course, most can learn to speak Spanish, but shouldn't have to so we can get a job in San Diego.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm white and have had a very hard time finding a job in San Diego. If you don't speak Spanish, the person who does will get the job. If they have to fill their minority spots, they get the job. I've worked with HR 3 times, I know how it works.

• marabie
    by marabie
    November 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM

white privelege does exist, very sad but true. I see it ALL the time at my work and it's for nothing just ignorance.

• Anonymous 67
    by Anonymous 67
    November 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Cus you know... everything you read on google is true.

• one_on_the_way
    November 25, 2012 at 3:05 PM

English is not 'our' language.  If you ask me, we should all speal Oglala Sioux if we're going to talk about a native language.  We came to THEIR country --- why didn't we learn THEIR language?  White privilege is certainly alive and well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Is it "fair" that illegals are being allowed into america left and right and being catered to? You go to another country, you learn that country's language, there is no reason they should have to learn yours. If I go to mexico, I'll learn spanish. If I go to italy, I'll learn italian. But if you come to america? Fuck it! We'll bend over and learn YOUR LANGUAGE. That, is bullshit.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting Anonymous:

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts