Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
one_on_the_way
White privilege -- if you are white are you aware it exists? If you are not white are you aware it exits?
November 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Are you aware of the reality which has been labeled 'white privilege'?

(it takes 2 seconds to find out what 'white privilege' is (google is our friend) ---- it takes a lot longer to accept it exists --- whether an indiviual accepts it or not does not change the fact it DOES exist).

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 25, 2012 at 11:02 PM

All large succesful organizations are run by white americans.  Just take a look at the house of representatives, congress and the cabinet and not to mention every police department and fire department.   I work for a large not-for-profit sucessful organization which is run by white executives.  In the part of the org, that I work in, there's a white male boys club.  They look for white young males to promote.  Today, there are more minorities that were born and raised in the USA  that are also college educated and speak english well, it is more obvious because it cannot be said that it is a language or immigration issue.  I have seen a white person get chosen for the position even though a more qualified person who was not white get the job.  I do not understand when whites state that they are being passed up for jobs when they run all major organizations.  In the 'working class' world and especially where education is required, there is white privilidge that cannot be mistaken for anything else.  Now, I do believe that the true war in this country is between the rich and the poor, I wish I could say racism didn't exist but it does and falls in line as second, then as a woman sexism is third.  If  a person was truly the patron of the core of any religion then love should be their lifes' purpose, people just interpret shit into possession, money, and control to benefit themselves.  I am sad about the world today.  I hope that one day my children see the day when none of that exists and every person is valued for the content of their character-we have just made a few baby steps but we need more.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 26, 2012 at 2:43 AM
    It’s only you who gets to kill people and have everyone jump to your defense. 

It’s only you who creates a media market wherein PoC are stereotyped for your entertainment.

It’s only you who imperializes the known world and then has the nerve to tell brown people to get out of “your” country.

It’s only you who comes into other people’s spaces and demands that your needs be attended to.

It’s only you who excludes PoC from your spaces and it’s only you who then accuses PoC of racism when we decide to make our own spaces.

It’s only you who rewrites world history to make yourselves look great by erasing every PoC but a handful that you choose to include on the condition that they be portrayed as peaceful, quiet, and never willing to rock the boat.

It’s only you who creates slurs to oppress and dehumanize every kind of brown person, but throws a hissy fit when someone calls you a cracker.

It’s only you who owns most of the world’s wealth and rules most of the world’s countries by office or by influence, and then have the audacity to call yourselves the 99%.

No, not ALL white people do this, but ONLY white people do this. That’s why I will not add a modifier when I say white people have ruined this world ten times over. It wasn’t all of you, but it was only you.

*this was taken from a blog on tumbler. It explains some of the things we are trying to get through to you. Poc=people of color

When you say things about black colleges, scholarships, and BET
    Why do you think those things exists in the first place? Because ALL other colleges/scholarships/channels were for the WHITES. People of color weren't allowed to have them. So we made our own. What do you not get?

White privilege is having the luxury to be ignorant to the fact that predujices still exist because they are not thrown at your face constantly for being a non white American
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 26, 2012 at 2:49 AM
    Keeping racism alive and well I see. No, there is no such thing. I grew up a poor hispanic and became successful as anyone else who wants to can.
  • AtillaTheHun
    November 26, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I was not aware that something like that was defined. That might be simply because I do not judge people by their looks but how they interact with and treat others. They could be green with purple polka dots for all I care. 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 26, 2012 at 2:51 AM
    Lmao. Oh boohoo im black. Bullshit. You know its shit like that that makes some people racists.

Quoting Anonymous:

It’s only you who gets to kill people and have everyone jump to your defense. 

It’s only you who creates a media market wherein PoC are stereotyped for your entertainment.

It’s only you who imperializes the known world and then has the nerve to tell brown people to get out of “your” country.

It’s only you who comes into other people’s spaces and demands that your needs be attended to.

It’s only you who excludes PoC from your spaces and it’s only you who then accuses PoC of racism when we decide to make our own spaces.

It’s only you who rewrites world history to make yourselves look great by erasing every PoC but a handful that you choose to include on the condition that they be portrayed as peaceful, quiet, and never willing to rock the boat.

It’s only you who creates slurs to oppress and dehumanize every kind of brown person, but throws a hissy fit when someone calls you a cracker.

It’s only you who owns most of the world’s wealth and rules most of the world’s countries by office or by influence, and then have the audacity to call yourselves the 99%.

No, not ALL white people do this, but ONLY white people do this. That’s why I will not add a modifier when I say white people have ruined this world ten times over. It wasn’t all of you, but it was only you.

*this was taken from a blog on tumbler. It explains some of the things we are trying to get through to you. Poc=people of color

When you say things about black colleges, scholarships, and BET

Why do you think those things exists in the first place? Because ALL other colleges/scholarships/channels were for the WHITES. People of color weren't allowed to have them. So we made our own. What do you not get?

White privilege is having the luxury to be ignorant to the fact that predujices still exist because they are not thrown at your face constantly for being a non white American
  • AnastasiaKorsh
    November 26, 2012 at 2:52 AM

I'm white and I know it exists.

• Nicky2911
    November 26, 2012 at 2:57 AM

I don't know... I believe that it likely exists but have been fortunate enough not to witness anything beyond my aged great-grandmother spouting some surprisingly racist garbage. Even though I grew up as the only white girl within a 2 or 3 block radius I was never taught to notice. I was shocked and appalled at my great-grandmother's words but quickly realized that she was raised in a much different era and didn't necessarily represent the current times. To be perfectly honest, in the community I lived in, the white girls were much more stuck-up and unfriendly than those of other races and I found most of my friends from my younger childhood were all black. It wasn't until late middle school that I actually got friends who were of my own race but no one ever raised an eyebrow at it.

• iman34
    by iman34
    November 26, 2012 at 6:40 AM
    The only thing i am going to say is WTF!!!!!!

Quoting karla85:

I'm not white and I'm not aware. Care to explain?

• ebbierowe
    November 26, 2012 at 6:50 AM
    Affirmative action isn't based on just skin color.....

Quoting LuLuThatsWho:

Look at the fact that every decent employer is an affirmative action employer and then tell me more about this privilege given to white people based on skin color alone.

Look at the fact that crimes by whites against blacks have additional punishments for being more hateful than crimes by blacks against whites.

Oh please, yes.  Let's talk about all of the unearned privileges that we get.

• one_on_the_way
    November 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Keeping racism alive and well I see. No, there is no such thing. I grew up a poor hispanic and became successful as anyone else who wants to can.

Actually, being aware and knowegable about the presence of white privilege in our society is an anti-racism effort.  After all, how can you be an ally or help make change when you refuse to acknowdge there is a problem?  I'm happy you became successful in your life, but HOW exactly does that mean there is no white privilege in our society as a whole?  White privilege does NOT mean people who aren't white can't be successful ---- it also does NOT mean that white people can't ever be in very poor and struggling situations.  It is an undercurrent in our society that is all over the place (once someone takes the time to look around).  

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts