Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
is this legal? update×2
by Anonymous
November 21, 2012 at 9:24 PM

ok so i have a sd (17) will be 18 july 13th .i have a 3 year old and my husband is a truck driver hes only home for a day a week sometimes less .

in the end of march im going to england my dad and aunt are getting married and im taking my 3 year old with me .im going to be gone for a month i havent seen my family in over 2 years .

i cant take my sd with me not only can i not afford another 1400$ ticket she has her last bit of school before she graduates.

and because she has a history of blatant lying my family asked me to leave her home .il be staying with my mum .

right now sd  keeps telling me she will call cps for abondonment if i leave her for a month on her own (yes shes a bit of a drama llama and she hates me so she will do anything to piss me off ).

i want to know is that true can i get in trouble for leaving a almost 18 year old at home alone for a month even though her dad will be home every now and then ??? i googled it but i cant find what im looking for

anyone have any idea ? oh i live in missouri .

Update

OK so I called the cops and asked about the situation. Legally in my state
She is a adult at 17 so I wont get into trouble. But because she keeps whining about it I
Called dh and he's going to try to arrange something with either
SD friends family or sil.

Also just to clear this up my dad is not marrying my aunt they
Are marrying other people 3 weeks apart.

Also I'm sorry for my grammar and spelling I'm dyslexic. But I'm really trying to make this understandable so bear with me.

Update2

Sil has agreed to take SD for the time that I'm not home. Problem solved
Thanks to those that did not bash me.

Also I want to add I do love my SD. She's a mess and I dislike her behavior
But other wise she's a good kid.

Replies

• silverdawn99
    November 21, 2012 at 9:53 PM

i would think so

good grief she is 17 not a child

• silverdawn99
    November 21, 2012 at 9:54 PM

i would do this

Quoting Anonymous:

yeah she talks to dh every day she will have food and gas she has her own bank account that dh puts money in she drives and can buy food though i will leave her some .im hoping this will help her prepare for the real world she goes off to college shortly after i come back .

but then again because i dont trust her i might just call her friends mom and have her stay with them .

Quoting acrogodess:

She can't actually get you for abandonment, but her dad. Honestly, he is accessible to her, I'm assuming by phone. She will have food, clothing, a roof over her head. I'd say let her reap what she sows. If things go badly, she'll end up in a group home and those are no fun. 

• svolkov
    by svolkov
    November 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM
    This. Or a neighbor?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yep, could get you in trouble.  I would have her travel with dad, and if not that, see if a friend will keep her.  Sign paperwork so she can for medical care.

• JTROX
    by JTROX
    November 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM

It would be her dad's responsiblitly to find someone to watch her, and to provide for her, unless you have court ordered custody.

• 4kids4tara
    November 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Unless a minor child has a baby, they are considered a minor and yes, it is abandonment.

• TasteOfCollapse
    November 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM

A teen NOT being thrilled of being home alone when 2 parents out of town? The future seems bright after all...

Well, she does realize if she does make the call and IF something does happen that she will be affected just as much if not, even more right? Drama llama alright haha. Bribe her or something..

• Anonymous 6
    by Anonymous 6
    November 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Your dad and aunt are getting married to each other????

Anyway, I believe you CAN get in trouble for leaving her home alone that for more than just a short time (a few hours)

• lullabylily

She sounds like a brat.  Ask her to pay her own tickets, work her ass off after school.  You are not oblige to take her anyway.

Good luck.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster

yes she likes to remind me when ever she can that im legally nothing to do with her and i have no rights to her ...untill it suits her that is . same with the attitude of im a adult untill it suits her and then shes a innocent child .

she enjoys playing victim thats why shes making this out to be awful abuse already if i do leave .in july she called the cops because i interupted her eating a pop tart to go shopping witch she chose to leave at home she could have eaten it or took it with her  (she asked me to take her that morning to get some pizza rolls ) basically she lied to the cops caused a huge argument with me and said she hadent eaten all day .but i made her lunch about 2 hours before .i even showed the cop the plates in the sink .like i said any exscuse to piss me off and play victim .

Quoting opal10161973:

Isn't SD legally your DH's responsibility?  How could you get into trouble for that?  If someone is stopping in to visit with her regularly, I don't see how you could get into trouble at all.  She will be almost 18 at that point. 

OMG....  what I would have given at 17 to have the house to myself for a month.  Why does she not realise how great that is?

• sugarcrisp
    November 21, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Interesting... I lived on my own at 17 and was able to get medical exams and treatment without my mother.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Yeah, you actually probably can.  She isn't an adult, she can't get medical treatment if needed, she could have a party and people get hurt (and YOU would get sued).  Lots of things.  Under 18, in the eyes of the law, she IS stilla child.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts