Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Matriarch87
Why do you think it is so crazy? *EDIT*
November 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM

To prepare & have a plan for "the end of the world as we know it"... 

**EDIT**

By "the end of the world as we know it", I do not mean the world imploding destroying every life on the planet, nor do I mean the human race being wiped out in out one big sweep.  Obviously no one would ever prepare for that because there would be no point.  

Obviously the people preparing are preparing for things they know they can survive if properly prepared.  

Things such as weather related disasters, a great depression or total economic collapse, mabye even just poverty, martial law, a war, an emp, whatever.   Whatever the person "preparing" feels would end their world as they know it-not totally end their world, just end it as they know it, change it permanently in a diasterous way a way so different it ended their world and a totally different world began.  

So, that is mostly directed to anyone who has commented or is planning on commenting by saying something like, "Its crazy because there is no point, if the world ends it ends."....Well, no that scenario is entirely different, your are thinking of the end of the world as in BAM-GONE, im  referencing the world as we know it ending...Two completely different things.

Preparing doesn't mean im afraid, or paranoid, or crazy, or not living in the present, or that I must be sacrificing time with my family.

I lead a painfully normal life, getting my family to be self sufficient and able to rely only on ourselves to have our needs met in the very small chance that anything epic-ly horrible would happen truly is not a time suck at all.  Im sure many of you spend more time in the salon than it would take to become self reliant.  

& No, im not referencing that television show Doomsday Preppers- those are extremists and as far as normal prepping goes for the average american, they are not even in the realm of reality and this is why they have their own television show.  They are not an accurate depiction of someone who wants to be prepared.

My philosophy:  "Like a condom I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

or the other popular, "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."

or if you prefer a little Ben Franklin: "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail."

and the ever so common, "Better safe than sorry"

So I just wanted to edit that in and offer up my input...I was not very methodical about my responses to people, im sorry.  I got busy and threw in responses at random and then I got back to it, and I just...I messed it all up. lol.  

Replies

• Matriarch87
    November 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM

BUMP!

• jillbailey26
    November 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Because if the world is going to end, you're going to end with it.  Therefore, instead of spending time with the ones you love and having fun, you've officially wasted your days preparing for the inevitable.

• Melbornj
    November 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    Totally agree with the above poster. If it is the end if the works no preparation is going to make a difference so why waste the time.
  • beerabitch69
    November 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    When it's over it's over. What is there to prepare for?
  • caito
    by caito
    November 21, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Because I don't want to fight for survival in some post-apocalyptic hellhole. No thank you. I'm not built for that shit and neither is anyone else in my family. And I prefer to live for today. I only have one shot at this life and I'm not going to waste it squirreling away crap in preperation for a scenario that will absolutely most likely never ever happen.

• jillbailey26
    November 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Let's say, by some miracle, you do make it through this "end of the world" mess.  You hide in a bunker and you survive.  Would you want to live in the world that would exist after that point?

• Matriarch87
    November 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM

"as we know it", no one thinks the world is going to implode...just the world that we are used to will end, chaos and what not.  So why would you think we would end with it?  

Preparing your family for disaster and making changes to ensure that you will come out of the shit smelling like a rose in no way means that any amount of spending time with loved ones or having fun is sacrificed.  

Quoting jillbailey26:

Because if the world is going to end, you're going to end with it.  Therefore, instead of spending time with the ones you love and having fun, you've officially wasted your days preparing for the inevitable.

• Matriarch87
    November 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM

This is the exact mentality if it was to ever happen that will cause the chaos...sure everyone thinks, "whatever will be will be, fuckitol"...until your family is in danger, then what?  You just gonna lay around in your house and die of starvation or exposure?  

Quoting Melbornj:

Totally agree with the above poster. If it is the end if the works no preparation is going to make a difference so why waste the time.

• NiCo86
    by NiCo86
    November 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    were prepared and preparing more each day.
  • wkukid
    by wkukid
    November 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

They are wasting energy preparing for something you can't prepare for. No one knows if or how the world is going to end. 

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts