Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
My very unpopular opinion **eta
by Anonymous
November 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM
I know that hardly anyone agrees with me on this and I understand perfectly well why that is. Expensive requests on Angel Trees: I'm ok with it.

It's rude and inappropriate to ask strangers for electronics, it really is. However, I can't really fault a child for it. Some kids don't understand how much a DS really costs. All they know is that the other kids their age have them and they're cool. Mom and dad might even know how tacky it is to ask for one, but they also know they'll never be able to buy it. They might think, heck, this is the one time of year that someone could possibly be generous enough to buy their child what they're wishing for. I think when you ask for charity, you take what you get, but what's the harm in trying?

The only actual harm I see is that a child that otherwise wouldn't get a Christmas is now being skipped over because someone thinks a dirt poor 6 year old has entitlement issues. I'm sure some do, but I'm betting most just don't know what they're asking for is too much.

I completely get why no one wants to buy a Wii or an Xbox, but could we maybe look past that and get the kid something else on their list? Does he/she now deserve a gift any less because they had the audacity to hope they might get what they really want one time this year?

**I tried to read all the replies, but it got a little hard to keep up. I'm definitely not saying everyone should go out and buy big, expensive items. There are usually more things on their list than just a DS or iPod. I just mean, try to look at their WHOLE list and see if there's something you can afford. It seems like from what I've seen on here so far, people see an expensive item and automatically put that tag back.

And, it's also fine to look for things you can afford. No matter what you can afford, it's a blessing to someone.

***edit again. I think some people aren't reading past the first couple sentences. In a normal situation, I think it's rude to EXPECT electronics and high dollar toys from strangers. Those would be the snotty parents raising entitled kids. I DON'T think it's bad for a kid to have a Christmas wishlist. Being poor doesn't mean a child should have to ask for socks, they have as much right to want cool gifts just as much as a rich kid.

Replies

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    November 20, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I agree with you.  The problem is not the kids.  Having experience with this in my own family the problem is you buy the kid the DS and then the parents pawn or sell it.  I'm sure not all do but after witnessing it all first hand it's hard to get past that.   I help people I personally know in our community or thru organizations I belong to.  No Angel trees for me.

• lovinmyboys...
    November 20, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    How about the teenagers who ask for the spendy electronics knowing full well how much they cost?
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    November 20, 2012 at 9:31 AM

We did angel tree once.  My kids were in another room playing while I was filling out the forms and the angel.... Mom and dad filled it out. Not little one!

• zoegirlsmom
    November 20, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    We try to buy for people we know who need help, we buy them electronics, Itunes cards or Go cards. My kids love electronics, why would I expect needy kids not to have the same wants.
  • owl0210
    by owl0210
    November 20, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I get what you're saying.

• Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    November 20, 2012 at 9:33 AM

They let teens do this ? I would have thought after 13 they wouldn't, most kids that age are old enough to understand.

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

How about the teenagers who ask for the spendy electronics knowing full well how much they cost?

• Anonymous 5
    by Anonymous 5
    This is slightly unrelated but back when webkins were huge a lady got on free cycle and requested webkins but the security code had to still be there. I thought that was highly rude and put her on my list on 'do not accept' So yes her family missed out because of her selfishness.
  • randi1978

When I see Angel Tree cards with kids asking for top of the line electronics or game consoles, my honest first thought: "Parents who want it for themselves or to sell".  If a child is writing down a wish list, the parent should encourage the child to be realistic about it. 

• IncognitoOne
    November 20, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I tend to spend forever reading what is on the list of kids on the tree....I do look for kids that ask for things like coats or warm socks. I buy other things for them too, but obviously, I can't afford to buy them most electronics.....but I'll just skip over that THING if it's on the list. 

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    November 20, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    See, ours at our local charities have the kids do it. If they're old enough to write, they fill it out themselves and if not, there's a volunteer that helps them.

Quoting Anonymous:

We did angel tree once.  My kids were in another room playing while I was filling out the forms and the angel.... Mom and dad filled it out. Not little one!

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN