Mom Confessions

RoseBlossom
Drinking while BF??
November 20, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Okay so not exactly drinking WHILE breasfeeding, but afterwards, or a few hours before. is this safe? I dont do it, never have, but my ex was talking about how his gf drinks beer to help with 'letdown' or milk production, something like that, and i was shocked. i thought that the alcohol goes through the milk to the baby, or am i wrong?

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 20, 2012 at 3:19 AM
    The alcohol would metabolize before the next feeding, and it does help wonders with letdown.
  • RoseBlossom
    November 20, 2012 at 3:19 AM

BUMP!

• luvmymonkeys27
    November 20, 2012 at 3:20 AM

My best friend is a breast-feeding consultant, and she told me that by the time the alcohol reaches the baby, it's yeast. When I was breastfeeding my eldest and having trouble letting-down, my midwife told me to have half a pint... it would relax me and that lack of stress would help let down my milk. I wouldn't drink to get drunk, and take extra precautions if you co-sleep, but a drink here and there is fine. 

• RoseBlossom
    November 20, 2012 at 3:20 AM

so it doesnt go to the milk? it just kind of made me think twice because i know there was a lot of stuff i couldnt eat becauseit would through to the milk.

Quoting Anonymous:

The alcohol would metabolize before the next feeding, and it does help wonders with letdown.

• RoseBlossom
    November 20, 2012 at 3:21 AM

wow! i guess you learn something new everyday!

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

My best friend is a breast-feeding consultant, and she told me that by the time the alcohol reaches the baby, it's yeast. When I was breastfeeding my eldest and having trouble letting-down, my midwife told me to have half a pint... it would relax me and that lack of stress would help let down my milk. I wouldn't drink to get drunk, and take extra precautions if you co-sleep, but a drink here and there is fine. 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 20, 2012 at 3:22 AM
    Read above

Quoting RoseBlossom:

so it doesnt go to the milk? it just kind of made me think twice because i know there was a lot of stuff i couldnt eat becauseit would through to the milk.

Quoting Anonymous:

• luvmymonkeys27
    November 20, 2012 at 3:22 AM

By the time it reaches the baby, it's pretty much all yeast, or has left the milk. It's all to do with its half-life. Coffee is what you want to avoid, apparently.

Quoting RoseBlossom:

Quoting Anonymous:

• MumsTheWord571
    November 20, 2012 at 3:25 AM
    Safe to drive is safe to nurse. Less than 5 % of alcohol consumed will go into your breastmilk, and if she's drink as she's nursing it'll take a while to go into her milk.
  • usmc.momma
    November 20, 2012 at 3:26 AM

If you can feel the effects of the alcohol then it isnt safe to BF. 1 beer wont affect your milk.

• bellaamore
    November 20, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Its safe to drink as long as you dont get drunk.

And, yes, beer is good for letdown sometimes and is recommended by some lactation consultants.

Mom Confessions