Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
RoseBlossom
Drinking while BF??
November 20, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Okay so not exactly drinking WHILE breasfeeding, but afterwards, or a few hours before. is this safe? I dont do it, never have, but my ex was talking about how his gf drinks beer to help with 'letdown' or milk production, something like that, and i was shocked. i thought that the alcohol goes through the milk to the baby, or am i wrong?

Replies

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    November 20, 2012 at 3:19 AM
    The alcohol would metabolize before the next feeding, and it does help wonders with letdown.
  • RoseBlossom
    November 20, 2012 at 3:19 AM

BUMP!

• luvmymonkeys27
    November 20, 2012 at 3:20 AM

My best friend is a breast-feeding consultant, and she told me that by the time the alcohol reaches the baby, it's yeast. When I was breastfeeding my eldest and having trouble letting-down, my midwife told me to have half a pint... it would relax me and that lack of stress would help let down my milk. I wouldn't drink to get drunk, and take extra precautions if you co-sleep, but a drink here and there is fine. 

• RoseBlossom
    November 20, 2012 at 3:20 AM

so it doesnt go to the milk? it just kind of made me think twice because i know there was a lot of stuff i couldnt eat becauseit would through to the milk.

Quoting Anonymous:

The alcohol would metabolize before the next feeding, and it does help wonders with letdown.

• RoseBlossom
    November 20, 2012 at 3:21 AM

wow! i guess you learn something new everyday!

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

My best friend is a breast-feeding consultant, and she told me that by the time the alcohol reaches the baby, it's yeast. When I was breastfeeding my eldest and having trouble letting-down, my midwife told me to have half a pint... it would relax me and that lack of stress would help let down my milk. I wouldn't drink to get drunk, and take extra precautions if you co-sleep, but a drink here and there is fine. 

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    November 20, 2012 at 3:22 AM
    Read above

Quoting RoseBlossom:

so it doesnt go to the milk? it just kind of made me think twice because i know there was a lot of stuff i couldnt eat becauseit would through to the milk.

Quoting Anonymous:

• luvmymonkeys27
    November 20, 2012 at 3:22 AM

By the time it reaches the baby, it's pretty much all yeast, or has left the milk. It's all to do with its half-life. Coffee is what you want to avoid, apparently.

Quoting RoseBlossom:

Quoting Anonymous:

• MumsTheWord571
    November 20, 2012 at 3:25 AM
    Safe to drive is safe to nurse. Less than 5 % of alcohol consumed will go into your breastmilk, and if she's drink as she's nursing it'll take a while to go into her milk.
  • usmc.momma
    November 20, 2012 at 3:26 AM

If you can feel the effects of the alcohol then it isnt safe to BF. 1 beer wont affect your milk.

• bellaamore
    November 20, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Its safe to drink as long as you dont get drunk.

And, yes, beer is good for letdown sometimes and is recommended by some lactation consultants.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts