Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Should a 3 year old know their letters?
by Anonymous
November 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM
My daughter turned 3 on may 28th. She can count to 15, sing her ABC,s, knows her colors and shapes and can write her name but she just can't remember her letters besides the ones in her name. Is that normal? Should she know all her letters by now?

Replies

• spizzarks1978
    November 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM

If it's not a daily exercise then i can understand why she can sing a song but not recognize.  My suggestion would be get some of those foam letters for the tub.  Every time she picks one up tell her what it is.  Stick them to the wall in the correct order and sing the ABC's while pointing at the correct letter.  My DD had those from day 1, we actually had to get her a new set because the first set got old and she would chew on them lol.  I think that's why she was able to recognize the letters at such an early age.  Read her ABC books and always point at the letter.  I bet she will catch on quickly. At that age they are little sponges and love love love to learn new things.  or you could get the magnets, just remember you will have to tell her which ones are which for a while before she does it herself.

• LizzieAnnesMom
    November 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM

IDK. DD will be 4 in February. She cant remember her ABCs and she cant write her name. We keep trying but she just cant get it down. She knows her shapes, and her colors. And not just the basic shapes and colors. She can count to 20.  I figure her teacher can work with her on the things she cant grasp before she goes to school.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    November 19, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    Good ideas!

Quoting spizzarks1978:

If it's not a daily exercise then i can understand why she can sing a song but not recognize.  My suggestion would be get some of those foam letters for the tub.  Every time she picks one up tell her what it is.  Stick them to the wall in the correct order and sing the ABC's while pointing at the correct letter.  My DD had those from day 1, we actually had to get her a new set because the first set got old and she would chew on them lol.  I think that's why she was able to recognize the letters at such an early age.  Read her ABC books and always point at the letter.  I bet she will catch on quickly. At that age they are little sponges and love love love to learn new things.  or you could get the magnets, just remember you will have to tell her which ones are which for a while before she does it herself.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    November 19, 2012 at 3:24 PM
    Ok!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

check out Starfall.com

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought kids were expected to know all letters BY kindergarten not learn them in kindergarten. That makes me feel better!

Quoting Anonymous:

She's fine. When DS went to K they were just starting to teach the letters to all the kids. They did one letter a week.

• smurfbitebug
    November 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    Consider getting those bath time number and letter toys that stick to the tub wall when they are wet.
    I got that for DD and she knows them all now. Not in order, she is only two. But she can tell you what each letter is in the alphabet and numbers one through ten. So.. it may be helpful for others as well.
  • MsRkg
    by MsRkg
    November 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM

She should defintiely know all of her letters by 3.

• Lovemyfamilyof8
    November 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM

LOL, mine don't. She can't spell her name or anything. None of mine have until 4. They sing ABCs and count, but no, not in my home.

• SterlingHeart
    November 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM

my kids did by that age but i worked with them constantly so not sure in comparison to other children?

• LizzieAnnesMom
    November 19, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Oh she can also speak a lot in spanish. 

She can count to ten, knows several colors, different animals, can say open, close, up, down, please, thank you, large, smal, ball, and a few others. I know I am forgetting some. Google translator has become my best friend.

• Anonymous 7
    by Anonymous 7
    November 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM
    That's no true in the slightest.

Quoting MsRkg:

She should defintiely know all of her letters by 3.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts