Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Should a 3 year old know their letters?
by Anonymous
November 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM
My daughter turned 3 on may 28th. She can count to 15, sing her ABC,s, knows her colors and shapes and can write her name but she just can't remember her letters besides the ones in her name. Is that normal? Should she know all her letters by now?

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    November 19, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    Ok good. I stress myself worrying lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

She's right on schedule
  • Anonymous
    November 19, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    Little Einstein you have there!

Quoting BShip2010:

Mine knew her letters and could recognize them at 18 months.  She now, at 3, counts to 15 in English and 8 in Spanish, knows colors and shapes and writes some letters.

• mom2ljh
    by mom2ljh
    Yes it's normal, she's 3.
  • AutymsMommy

I think she's fine.

My son knows his letters (sight recognition and verbally) and he was also 3 in May... BUT my daughter did NOT know them at that age.

Your dd will not be behind - letter recognition is something they are still *working on* in most kindergarten classes.

• Bethsunshine
    November 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM

That's normal.

• Anonymous
    November 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    She sings the abc song. But if I have an "H" and ask what letter it is she doesn't know.

Quoting PeaceLoveZ:

She can sing them but not say them? I don't understand that.
    I too have a 3yo, (he turned 3 in August) and we are working on our ABC's... He can remember up to K. We are just starting on LMNO.

• BShip2010
    November 19, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Do you send your DD to preschool?  I put mine in preschool in the class with kids who were already 3 (she was 2, turned 3 in September) and she keeps up.  Maybe try that!

Quoting Anonymous:

Little Einstein you have there!

Quoting BShip2010:

Mine knew her letters and could recognize them at 18 months.  She now, at 3, counts to 15 in English and 8 in Spanish, knows colors and shapes and writes some letters.

• -PB
    by -PB

All kids learn different things at different paces.  Just keep working with her.  She'll get it.  I've seen kids know all their letters by 2 years and I've seen kids in kindergarden only know a handful of letters. 

• Anonymous
    Bump
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 19, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Most children I have worked with, and including my own, were able to recognize all the letters in the alphabet by the time they were 3, but that doesn't mean that there is a "normal". She may just need a different way of learning it, then how you are presenting it to her at home. She could completely excel in pre-k and kindergarten despite not knowing those basics right now.

Mom Confessions