Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
holiday food drives
by Anonymous
November 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM
I'm about to start one for people who don't get foodstamps. I think its terrible that to get help one must be of the income level to get welfare. So many families are struggling who make just above the help zone. For example at my kids school, they give backpacks full of food to those families who get foodstamps or tnaf. If you are not on foodstamps or tnaf you don't qualify for the food even if you may need it.

Would you donate to a organization who only helped income levels slightly higher than welfare cutoff limits?

I'm seriously considering starting a charity for this purpose. I don't know where I would even start.

Replies

• Dzyre1115
    November 19, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Our food pantries are, "don't ask", facilities, meaning anyone who walks in and asks for help can get it.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    November 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    Really? They are not like that here. I've called. Your income has to be within a certain range.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Our food pantries are, "don't ask", facilities, meaning anyone who walks in and asks for help can get it.

• mariesmama
    November 19, 2012 at 8:07 AM

my hubby just got a job his first day is today, but foodstamps had to go off the fact our only income was his unemployment, so next month we 'll get 400$ we really wont need all of it to feed 3 people

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    I don't think if you get food stamps you should be eligible for food drives or pantries.
  • mommy_me
    November 19, 2012 at 8:48 AM

We have donated 100lbs of food to our local food bank since October. I love this local one, its the only one I give to

• anyotherday
    November 19, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I would rather donate to a family just above the welfare cut offs than a family who is already getting hundreds of dollars a month in stamps. 

Or maybe donate for familys who get 100 or less in stamps a month. Because I know a few families who are really honestly struggling, have no "entitlement" issues, and only get 28 bucks or so on stamps. 

If you are getting 400 or more a month in SNAP you could budget a decent holiday meal in there somewhere. 

• auntietotty
    November 19, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Quoting Dzyre1115:

That's how our Harvester's Mobile food bank is.  They come once a month (I think) and all you have to do is show proof you live in this county.

I donate food to it regularly.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 19, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I'm sure you donate more than just in the fall, so I don't mean this toward you...

But I donate less during the fall... I try to donate during the times of year when most people arent in the giving spirit and more families are actually struggling. Late winter/early spring especially. 

Quoting mommy_me:

We have donated 100lbs of food to our local food bank since October. I love this local one, its the only one I give to

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 19, 2012 at 8:54 AM

The church I belong to does a food drive all the time. No questions asked, no attendance to church necessary.

• 1lv2stks3nlz4ev
    November 19, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I want to start a Non-Food bank. For things like toilet paper, shampoo, cleaning supplies, dish soap, tooth brushes, pet supplies ect. Most times people have access to food supplies through a food bank or church or charity but can't get these things. And dang it... TP is EXPENSIVE!

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts