Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Why can't people live within their means?
by Anonymous
November 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Instead of down grading so they aren't broke all the time, they decide to stay in the house they can't afford, and keep the cars they can't afford and so on?  Why keep up with the debt?  Not being bitchy, but honestly curious. 

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM
    My brother and his wife do this. He works and she stays at home. They can't afford their lifestyle. They are way upside down o. Their car note and have credit card debt. She posted her credit card bill on fb to get a radio show to pay her bills. Dumbass
  • tennisgal
    November 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM

this question coming after all the "bigger and better Christmas present" posts. 

We are taught and reinforced to LIKE stuff to NEED it to be fulfilled and content. Obtaining stuff is it's own hobby like in no other previous generation. 

Now, we do have a mortgage, but our vehicles are older and paid for (and still drive as perfectly well as BIL's new $36,000 minivan that I do think is awesome...but it's more awesome that we don't have the car payment to go along with it). 

• brittany208

Please tell me you forgot a zero. What does he do??

Quoting jb022210:

how can we downsize anymore, we live in a house that has the cheapest rent (350 a month) a do not have tv, we have internet because i work from home, and before that i attending online college, we buy dollar tree everything, i mean seriously, we dont have cell phones or anything. yet we still struggle with my fiance working close to 60 hours a week. our annual income is barely over $10000. there is no more downsizing we barely have the nessecary furinture needed 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    its all a magic piece of plastic. Charge now pay never. Ive never had a credit card and dont plan to ever. We have no debt and are slowly saving up in our account. Weve have come so far in 6 yrs. We started with nothing but our clothes and now own 3 cars not brand new but they are paid for. We can afford extras like phones cable internet and doing fun things. Lot better than eating ramen like we use to.
  • jb022210
    November 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

minimum wage is $7.25 an hour, she just started getting this many hours a week, and they take well over a hundred out in taxes each check, and I just started my job i havent even gotten my first check yet.

Quoting Lydlou02:

10k?? a year?? Is that two jobs, or is he making that little with 20h overtime?

Quoting jb022210:

how can we downsize anymore, we live in a house that has the cheapest rent (350 a month) a do not have tv, we have internet because i work from home, and before that i attending online college, we buy dollar tree everything, i mean seriously, we dont have cell phones or anything. yet we still struggle with my fiance working close to 60 hours a week. our annual income is barely over $10000. there is no more downsizing we barely have the nessecary furinture needed 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM
    Well we drive cars we can afford and live in a home we can afford and send DS to a school we can't afford. We get a scholarship for a huge portion and make sacrifices to pay the rest because that's what is important to us. There is NOTHING in this world we can give him more valuable than his education.
  • Mrs.Kubalabuku

Debit cards have played a major role in the developement of this mentality.  You no longer physically SEE the "resource" leaving your hands.  Humans are hardwired to see what they have left and make it last, b/c you never knew when you'd find that next berry bush, or when the next game would be hunted.  We were very well programmed, so much so that when money came into the picture, we'd use physical coins that had some weight.  We'd FEEL our purses get lighter,  and it triggered the same as it did when we ate berries in a drought.  We know we need this resource to survive, and we know we used some.  We'll be very careful with the rest.

And then came credit and debit.  That mental repercussion is gone, all that is left is the reward center of the brain.  I walked in here, got this.  I am happy.  Hours, days, or even months later we are hit with the bill.  Then it is more surreal.  The repercussion is now placed more on answering the phone or checking the mailbox than it is on the items we purchased.

People who truly want to live within their means usually find themselves practicing this one method:  Pay for EVERYTHING in cash.  Leave the cards at home.

Most people in big homes with cars can honestly afford the purchases.  Credit companies look at their assets and make the loans.  But they can't have their cake and eat it, too.  They make those minor purchases for quick rewards, and when the bills come due they avoid them.  If they would budget properly, their house would be paid for.   If they downsized, they still wouldn't be able to afford it.  B/c their mentality is going to say "Well, that freed up $300!  I can buy more stuff!"

• Jess0915

It's sad really. People want the appearance of wealth, even if it drives them into debt. They also want instant gratification. They want the newest, best item NOW. So, they charge it. And I admit it is tempting, lol. There are so many fascinating gadgets and stuff you can buy, but at what cost? Credit card debt, ruined credit, bankruptcy? I think people are encouraged to dig themselves into debt. I think I got 9 credit card offers when I was in college, lol. No way I could afford it, but I didn't realize it at the time.

Anyway, my DH and I have no more credit cards, our cars are paid off, and we don't have any outstanding loans. It's great! We will be building our house in the spring, buying all the materials ourselves, at a discount, without loans. :D

• peachesforme
    November 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM

my house is a piece of crap. but, we have an unheard of mortgage, only $663/month.  Many people I know have much better houses than me but pay sooo much more.  I'm embarrassed to have company over but try to cheer myself up by reminding myself that at least we are not house poor and we can take a nice vacation sometimes.

• Mom2Boys9501
    November 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Because this society is so judgmental if you don't have fancy stuff that they keep/get it so they won't be judged by society's standards.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts