Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Are you happy at the bottom?
by Anonymous
November 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I keep seeing all of these posts about how its unfair that powerful, educated people who innovate make more money than unskilled laborers. 

Isn't this America, the land of opportunity? Don't they let anyone over 18 with a hs diploma or ged into community college? The bottom rungs of the ladder that you need to climb are accessible to all. There may be obstacles along the way, but most everyone COULD climb if they wanted to. 

You lacking the ambition to get to the top doesn't mean we should punish those who do. Those who climb generally deserve the rewards that come with the climb. 

So if you have your diploma or GED and are sad with your current wages, why are you not climbing? Do you not want a better life? Are you happy where you are? 

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 19, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Exactly. I have a friend from HS who got her degree in some random health education field (not nursing or anything in high demand) and she couldn't figure out why she couldn't get a job, other than Starbucks, lol. She went back to school and got her masters, now she's working on her doctorate. She finally has a decent job, making good money, BUT, she still has no clue how she will ever pay off all the student loans. I'm not entirely sure all the hard work and loans were worth it, lol.

Quoting moneysaver6:

I agree.  There are a lot of people who are just flabbergasted that they have $125K in student loans, but poor them...they can't get a job.  You ask what their degree is in & they tell you that it's art appreciation, liberal arts or some other non-specific generalized degree.  They went to an over-priced private school for this degree &/or continued on & now have their master's in art appreciation which gets them...a stint as an art teacher at the local high school.  IF the high schools in their area still offer art electives.

You get a non-functional degree & expect to have a harder time finding work.  You might find a job in your field that pays well, but you will have a much harder time finding that job.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, I kind of have to agree on this one. My DH was all pissed off because after 9 years in the army he couldn't find a job making good money. Well. . .I had to tell him, that's fair! You didn't learn any skills usable in the workforce (shooting people is NOT work experience), and he never took advantage of college that you can get if you put forth a bit of effort while you're still in the army. So, after a few years of being disappointed with his income, he went back to school. He has now graduated and is making better money. I just don't get why people think they are owed anything. You get what you work for! I know people say they have a degree but can't find work, but there are a number of reasons for that. You're degree is not in high demand. You're in a bad area that is lacking jobs in your field. You're not trying hard enough. Sorry, but that's my opinion. No one I know who has a degree is in need of a job, and that includes family and friends in four different states.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    I'm good. I went to college and had a career before I married and had any kids. I am staying home now, and it's strange not making money.
  • beachbabies6
    November 19, 2012 at 9:10 PM

mobile dog grooming , ive been in a shop for years, i decided to make mine mobile its the only one in the area

Quoting elliem87:

Quoting Anonymous:

no im not happy were i am , thats why i started my own business last month and its doing great , i will be able to quit my regular job very soon

What is your business?

• marabie
    by marabie
    November 19, 2012 at 11:47 PM
    Quoting moneysaver6:

So people makin 10$ an hour are supposed to save up 7000 a year for community college and 11000 a year for their bachelors yes people have been paying for their education but that was also whem it cost the price of one year now for a bachelors then. My mom paid $2000 a year for her first three years at the uofm my brother pays 7500 a semester at thensame school.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 19, 2012 at 11:53 PM

and what you're spouting is one of the biggest myths in regards to poverty.  It's not because they're lazy. It's because the cycle of poverty is difficult and nearly impossible for many to overcome.

• marabie
    by marabie
    November 19, 2012 at 11:57 PM
    Quoting moneysaver6:

I have my bachelors and i worked extremely hard to get it so i could pay back my loans comfortably. If you think o chem genetics and biochem just to name a few isnt working hard then you are sorely mistaken. you dont know my history when i got pregnant or my past choices so you have nothing to go off of. I am glad obama won for others to have an opportunity. Im going to pa school eventually and pay out of pocket for that and ill work ,y ass off for that degree. Obama did vhange student loans i got some when i first started and some when i finishedbgramts and loan aid increased so it is more affordable for low income people. My parents made to much and they cosigned my loans from a private lender but after i got pregmant i was eligible for aid and i didnt take it for gramted.
  • TSNDDY
    by TSNDDY
    November 19, 2012 at 11:59 PM
    27 thousand a year????? omg your schools are expensive!!!!!!

Quoting moneysaver6:

It is possible to work your way through college.  Should someone not mind debt, they could obtain student loans &/or obtain grants.

You DO know that college doesn't have to cost $27K/year, right?

Quoting LectioDivina:

27 thousand dollars a year is not exactly accessible to everyone once the time comes for a Bachelors

• Ali5683
    by Ali5683
    November 20, 2012 at 11:43 AM

All wonderful questions.

Because people are lazy!! I work hard for what I have and because I'm upper middle class I have to pay more? That's crap. Just because I decided to work my tail off to get where I am and the lady down the street is barely making it financially is not unfair. That's what SHE chose, not me. I don't feel bad for driving a nice car or living in a nice home. I earned it. I didn't get these things handed to me. Oh I could go on forever!!

• moneysaver6
    November 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM

In most cases with random degrees like that, they weren't.

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly. I have a friend from HS who got her degree in some random health education field (not nursing or anything in high demand) and she couldn't figure out why she couldn't get a job, other than Starbucks, lol. She went back to school and got her masters, now she's working on her doctorate. She finally has a decent job, making good money, BUT, she still has no clue how she will ever pay off all the student loans. I'm not entirely sure all the hard work and loans were worth it, lol.

Quoting moneysaver6:

I agree.  There are a lot of people who are just flabbergasted that they have $125K in student loans, but poor them...they can't get a job.  You ask what their degree is in & they tell you that it's art appreciation, liberal arts or some other non-specific generalized degree.  They went to an over-priced private school for this degree &/or continued on & now have their master's in art appreciation which gets them...a stint as an art teacher at the local high school.  IF the high schools in their area still offer art electives.

You get a non-functional degree & expect to have a harder time finding work.  You might find a job in your field that pays well, but you will have a much harder time finding that job.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, I kind of have to agree on this one. My DH was all pissed off because after 9 years in the army he couldn't find a job making good money. Well. . .I had to tell him, that's fair! You didn't learn any skills usable in the workforce (shooting people is NOT work experience), and he never took advantage of college that you can get if you put forth a bit of effort while you're still in the army. So, after a few years of being disappointed with his income, he went back to school. He has now graduated and is making better money. I just don't get why people think they are owed anything. You get what you work for! I know people say they have a degree but can't find work, but there are a number of reasons for that. You're degree is not in high demand. You're in a bad area that is lacking jobs in your field. You're not trying hard enough. Sorry, but that's my opinion. No one I know who has a degree is in need of a job, and that includes family and friends in four different states.

• moneysaver6
    November 20, 2012 at 5:28 PM

When did we start discussing only those receiving a Master's degree?  When discussing college graduates are you typically only referring to those who have obtained a Masters?  No.  The standard assumption when discussing a college graduate is that one is referring to those who have received a Bachelor's degree unless it is otherwise specified.  Naturally, my answer was following the standard assumption.

Although a Bachelor's degree will get someone plenty far if they get an actual, working degree. 

Besides, I never said that it wouldn't cost $30K to go to school.  I simply said that it is possible to go to school and graduate without accumulating $30K in debt.  And it is.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Show me a masters degree that costs less then 30k? BAs in this economy are not going to get you far, trade school is the best rout to go, and that does cost less.... many trades dont have finacial assistance though.

Quoting moneysaver6:

It IS possible to go to school and graduate without accumulating $30K in debt.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Your post is short sighted.  And explain to me what motivation is there any more... go to college knowing your going to end up with 30k+ in debt without knowing if there will be any jobs at the end of your education?  

Mom Confessions