Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Are you Rh Negative?? (you might have received rhogam shot during pregnancy)
by Anonymous
November 18, 2012 at 3:44 AM
That post about the woman not getting prenatal care irked me.

I decided to do a spin off post to see if women knew why they get that shot during pregnancy. Not all moms will get it, if you are Rh positive you don't have to.

Rh is a blood group like A, B, O... Hence you can be O+ or B- etc

Well if a negative mama has a positive baby she can develop a deadly antibody. Her first pregnancy will be fine, but any subsequent pregnancies can be fatal for the neonate.

This disease is called hemolytic disease of the newborn.

It's important to know your blood type. The reason they give you that shot is to trick your brain to not developing antibodies. This protects future babies.

Replies

• JenB1983
    November 18, 2012 at 5:34 AM
    It had been about 4 months since I'd gotten the rhogam, which is why they pulled more blood from me on Friday to check my levels. It could have been elevated still because of that, but they feel as though the numbers were just too high, so rechecking would be a good idea.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JenB1983:

Anti-D is an antibody to the D antigen which is part of the Rh system (the pos/neg part of the blood type). By chance had you already received the rhogam shot before they did your work up? (like within 3 months)

I'm a blood banker too :). Anti-D's aren't our worst nightmare the bad ones are our sickle cell patients who get transfused a lot. They have every antibody in the book and you basically have to find blood that perfectly matches theirs. Sometimes we have to get blood from accross the country that's a match.

If a patient has an anti-D we just have to give them O neg blood. Easy peasy. :)

• mimi0815
    November 18, 2012 at 5:38 AM
    I'm a O- and my children and husband are all O+. I had to get the shot with both pregnancies. Like everyone said they do hurt like hell. I remember very well that the doctors and nurses kept a very close eye both times to make sure that I received the shots so I think it's a bigger deal than they would lead on. One of the nurses said that a mother who is Rh- an doesn't recieve the shots would definitely put her baby at risks because almost always the blood of the baby and mom mixes. So it's definitely a good idea to take the shots .
  • Ms.Pink.
    November 18, 2012 at 5:42 AM
    Lol no, that was just looked for. We had it bc Ds had an abnormal triple screen. His first set of chromosomes had extra bands hanging off. They didn't know what it meant so they mapped out xdh and mine. Said if either of us had it on our chromosomes, it was genetic and likely meant nothing. Neither of us did so they sent it out to be studied and all reports came back inconclusive. No one knew what it meant. They then suggested I abort :/ Bc they didn't know what it was, they didn't know what life he'd have, if he'd be "mutated", handicapped, etc. The amnio was done to check growth development and maturity. My Ds will be 11 on Wed and there is nothing wrong with him!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ms.Pink.:

I'm a little not sober lol and very sleepy so I can't recall my blood type at the moment, but I do know a genetic chromosome map out and a little later an amnio confirmed no need for the shot.

Wow! What did you need to do an amnio and chromosomal map for? Surely not just to see if you needed a rhogam shot??
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 18, 2012 at 5:42 AM
    B+ thank goodness! I had next to no prenatal care with my second :(
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 18, 2012 at 6:07 AM
    I'm rh- and all 4 kids are rh+, so I've had it 7 or 8 times
  • PinkyPan
    November 18, 2012 at 7:09 AM

I am Rh negative and had the shots. I am O+.

• The_Doodle
    November 18, 2012 at 7:17 AM

I am and that is basically what they told me. That my current baby would be fine but antibodies could cause my body to reject (miscarry) future babies.

• cowgirlsmommy
    November 18, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    Yep I had to get the shot. I'm O-
  • Nerdy_Mama
    November 18, 2012 at 7:24 AM

I am Rh- and I had the shot during and after both of my pregnancies.

• IncognitoOne
    November 18, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    My mom had to get it, I haven't. My blood type is O+

Mom Confessions