Mom Confessions

epoh
When did your kid learn to dress him/herself?
by epoh
November 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM
My DD started putting forth a good effort around the time that she was two. She was very independent and would insist on doing it by herself.

My DS is 2 and 5 mos and is just beginning to assert his independence and try it himself. Moreso than getting dressed, he wants to undress. DD was the opposite and wanted to dress herself before she attempted to learn to undress herself.

I'm just looking for an average age range and of the child attempted to dress or undress him/herself first.

Replies

• New.OrleansLady
    November 17, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    DS made 2 in July. I was doing my hair yesterday and for the first time DS came in and said I ready!! I had to laugh he had on his bathing suit shorts in backward and a grey baseball shirt with his boots. But hey... He tried!! Lol
  • vinalex0581
    November 17, 2012 at 6:55 AM

at age of 5

• New.OrleansLady
    November 17, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    Wait... As far as taking off cloths and trying to put it back on. He started taking off at like 18 mos but putting on at 2yrs. Yesterday was the first time he went to his room and got dressed
  • JLah
    by JLah
    November 17, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Before 2 He could 100% dress himself.

• velvetkitty
    November 17, 2012 at 6:57 AM

My son was about 3 when he could fully dress himself from head to toe.  My daughter was 2 and could do everything except pull the shirt over her big ol' head.  My 2nd daughter that is NOW 2 years 4 months, is stubborn, and tries to do everything herself, but her clothes end up backwards, and inside out.  But the effort is there.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 17, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Age 3.5. Maybe she could have done it sooner if I encouraged it/let her. She has a bit of trouble with the socks, though.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 17, 2012 at 7:01 AM

at 15mos

• Livv066
    by Livv066
    November 17, 2012 at 7:02 AM
    Kara's three, and is learning to get undressed. She can take her bottoms, socks & shoes off and on, but has trouble with her shirts. She's very impatient & gets upset quickly.
  • epoh
    by epoh
    November 17, 2012 at 7:08 AM
    My DD is five and still gets frustrated with her shirts sometimes.

I think the funniest part is when they're learning to pull up their pants and forget to pull up the back part. They'll have the pants on with the exception of their heiny hanging out. Lol

Quoting Livv066:

Kara's three, and is learning to get undressed. She can take her bottoms, socks & shoes off and on, but has trouble with her shirts. She's very impatient & gets upset quickly.
  • usmcwifey11
    November 17, 2012 at 7:08 AM
    Sydney could undress before 2, but she was 3 before she dressed herself. Probably because she loved being naked so much she didn't want to try.

Mom Confessions