Mom Confessions

Cafe Amanda
Mom Confession: "I sent my kid to school with head lice!"
November 15, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Okay, this one gave me the heebie-jeebies JUST WATCHING IT.

My kids have already gotten a couple of "there has been a case of head lice in school" notices this year and if I found out a parent knowingly sent their kid to school with lice I would be PISSED.

And if they had the excuse THIS mom did, I'd be even MORE MAD!

What do you think about what she did - and why she did it?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

Replies

• mummy24
    by mummy24
    November 19, 2012 at 9:23 AM

It isn't standard procedure where I live but I am in England so........

I will say though that if a child at our school gets lice we are asked to come and collect them and if we cannot prove we have treated our children, they are not aloud back to school which in my opinion is a great policy to have.

Lol.....mine started itching the minute I saw the video lol.

Quoting mrswhite417:

In a daycare setting, it is standard procedure. Lice can live in stuffed animals or pillows for a day or 2 and can therefor reinfect anyone.

Ughhhh now my head itches ):

Quoting mummy24:

Not being funny...but closing the whole classroom for a deep clean was a bit excessive imo....especially when it is a known fact that lice CANNOT live off of hair for longer than a few minutes as they die very quickly from the cold. A major over reaction to a case of headlice I think but hey that's just me!

Quoting Dom519:

I had this same problem when i was Teaching a two year old class at a daycare the mother and father both knew the child had lice but sent him to school anyway. we had to close  the entire classroom clean every inch and tell each parent who were not happy at all then the next day he came back to school his head shaved but the parents didn't give him the lice treatment or treat their home.Sometimes i just don't  understand ppl. 

• robsgurl_23
    November 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM

that is wrong..when my oldst brought home lice from school and the second I found out they had it I was out at the store getting the treatment stuff and this was at 8 at night. I called the school and they said they would have the school nurse look at my daughter and if she had any lice or nits in her hair she would have to be sent home. They dont send home notes home either at my kids school. I think the school should so it prepares parents that they kids might bring home lice and for parents to keep an eye out for lice on their kids. 

• Lovesilky21
    November 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM

OMG she was so wrong to do that, and sadly we are fighting this right now in my daughters class(first graders), one kid got it and has clearly been at school because now another has it and its been 2 weeks, Im rather worried about my daughter getting it, because well our whole family will be at high risk, me my husband and her little brother and I even talked to the school nurse who tried to tell me that head lice isnt contagus in a school setting, WTH, and the office staff informed me that they don't even have to info us at all, and that if they see them they don't have to send the child home, thankfully their class teacher has informed us. When my husband got it as a kid it was from school their whole class got it, I just don't get how people don't get that  head lice spread and that a responsible parent would help to prevent it

I know as a family we are trying to prevent her from get it, when I heard of the first case I took our son to have his hair cut short, and the lady cutting his hair suggested tea tree hair products beacuse lice do not like it, hoping that has them stay away from us.

And I know as a mother I would not do this no matter how stressfully it would be to have to keep one or both kids home from school for however long, that's what needs to be done and would be done!!!

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

You must not understand that it can live on backpacks which touch the hair. 99% of time in elementry school jackets and backpacks are all hung next to eachother....

Quoting MomTeacher621:

They can't exclude kids from school because of lice anymore. There is SO much misinformation about it. You don't get lice because you are dirty or poor or whatever. Actually, lice like clean hair and a nice warm head. Most kids catch it from sharing combs or hats or at sleepovers. Very few actually catch lice at school. Lice don't fly, they can only crawl. Your best defense is to teach your children to NEVER share combs or pony holders or hats and to keep their heads away from their friends.

Now, if this woman knew, she should have treated it right away. But...most kids will not contract it if their parents teach them how to avoid it.

• Dom519
    by Dom519
    November 19, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I see your point but when you have a classroom of over 18 2 year olds and panicky parents closing down the room to clean and sterilize and remove linen and things for my sake of my mind and for the parents sake of mind and comfortability it was a good decision. the classoom was reopened the next day and everyone did their part to make sure the problem was gone. 

Quoting mummy24:

Not being funny...but closing the whole classroom for a deep clean was a bit excessive imo....especially when it is a known fact that lice CANNOT live off of hair for longer than a few minutes as they die very quickly from the cold. A major over reaction to a case of headlice I think but hey that's just me!

Quoting Dom519:

I had this same problem when i was Teaching a two year old class at a daycare the mother and father both knew the child had lice but sent him to school anyway. we had to close  the entire classroom clean every inch and tell each parent who were not happy at all then the next day he came back to school his head shaved but the parents didn't give him the lice treatment or treat their home.Sometimes i just don't  understand ppl. 

• Kitty_Myrick
    November 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Sound like my sisrer in law.  She always has the aditud that her kids are always an incoviance to her life.  And this lady didn't think that the school was going to call her and demand she take her home. Her day was going to be messed up eatherway.

• Vertical15
    November 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Thats awful!  I would never do that but I also have the ability to be home during the day to care for things like this and I have boys so I can just shave their heads LOL

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 19, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    I'm a single parent and even I wouldn't think twice about staying home with my kid and fixing that shit. My job doesn't trump my kids. It floors me when I see parents that do that kind of crap....Sending a kid with a fever (school policy is that they need to be fever free for 24 hours), had a night of throwing up, is coughing excessively, or that you can see has a bad cold and is miserable. We don't play around with that here- head lice, fever, throwing up, and pink eye are all a one way ticket home. Pink eye requires a doctors note. Head lice requires a check in the office before that kid sets foot back in the classroom.
  • hypersquirrel
    November 19, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I just went thru my 6 yr old dd having lice because of my brother  didnt tell me that my niece had lice for the last 4 months. he and his wife havent even told the school about it. I Called their school and told them and i sure as hell told my school about it. I already treated my dd   before i even sent her to school. I have been keeping reciepts , my bro will be paying me back. there are NO excuses for being a lazy parent! 

• rollinhard07
    November 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM

If there is ever a next time put some tea tree oil in the shampoo your family uses.

Quoting brettsmomma:

I would be pissed. We have already gotten two notices of head lice and ive been spending money on conditioners that help prevent it. *shudders i hope they work! 

And who would make their kid suffer like that. It has got to itch having a head full of bugs...  :'(

Mom Confessions