Mom Confessions

thetrollcat
A Teenager is NOT a CHILD...
November 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I have a teenager she is seventeen, she will always be my child even as an adult. However...

She is not a child. I do not allow my young children to drive cars, work, make decisions that require maturity and ability to think about your decision. She is a teenager, neither a child or an adult (yet).

My job is not to baby her like she is five years old. My job is to PREPARE her for the adult world. She is a Senior in High School not a first grader in Elementary school.

I honestly cannot figure out why any rational woman thinks that a teenager is a "child" and treats them like one.

Replies

• thetrollcat
    November 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM

BUMP!

• louzannalady
    November 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM
    Is this about the "I want to know every detail of my teenager's gyno visit and violate her rights." post?
  • SAnders224
    November 15, 2012 at 12:23 AM
    Agreed
  • ElitestJen
    November 15, 2012 at 12:23 AM

A child is someone under 18.  An adult is someone 18+. 

Treating someone like a "child" can be age appropriate.  Obviously, a 17yo has different needs and expectations than someone who is 6yo.  The 17yo is still a child.

Biologically, there's an argument that one is a child until their brain is fully developed at around age 25. 

• beeonit
    by beeonit
    November 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM
    Teenagers are a special breed of terrible, and 98% cause of grey hairs. I'm sure I can source that
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but yea, a teenager is a child! When you get to be my age, you realize that they are still kids. Shit, even a 21 year old is still a kid to me even though they are legally an adult at age 18.
  • thetrollcat

I havent seen that post but no I was inspired by the SD being pregnant AGAIN lol

Quoting louzannalady:

Is this about the "I want to know every detail of my teenager's gyno visit and violate her rights." post?

• thetrollcat
    November 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM

whatever. Im sorry but my daughter is not a CHILD, she is adolescent she is a teenager.

Quoting ElitestJen:

A child is someone under 18.  An adult is someone 18+. 

Treating someone like a "child" can be age appropriate.  Obviously, a 17yo has different needs and expectations than someone who is 6yo.  The 17yo is still a child.

Biologically, there's an argument that one is a child until their brain is fully developed at around age 25. 

• Mrs.Bryant1201
    November 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM

She is your adult child. 

• AllofFive19
    November 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Until a person is 19 (in my state) they are a child. An older child, but nonetheless a child. You can treat a child as an adult and still ask that he or she follow the rules of the house because they are not yet an adult. 

Mom Confessions