Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
thetrollcat
A Teenager is NOT a CHILD...
November 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I have a teenager she is seventeen, she will always be my child even as an adult. However...

She is not a child. I do not allow my young children to drive cars, work, make decisions that require maturity and ability to think about your decision. She is a teenager, neither a child or an adult (yet).

My job is not to baby her like she is five years old. My job is to PREPARE her for the adult world. She is a Senior in High School not a first grader in Elementary school.

I honestly cannot figure out why any rational woman thinks that a teenager is a "child" and treats them like one.

Replies

• thetrollcat
    November 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM

BUMP!

• louzannalady
    November 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM
    Is this about the "I want to know every detail of my teenager's gyno visit and violate her rights." post?
  • SAnders224
    November 15, 2012 at 12:23 AM
    Agreed
  • ElitestJen
    November 15, 2012 at 12:23 AM

A child is someone under 18.  An adult is someone 18+. 

Treating someone like a "child" can be age appropriate.  Obviously, a 17yo has different needs and expectations than someone who is 6yo.  The 17yo is still a child.

Biologically, there's an argument that one is a child until their brain is fully developed at around age 25. 

• beeonit
    by beeonit
    November 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM
    Teenagers are a special breed of terrible, and 98% cause of grey hairs. I'm sure I can source that
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but yea, a teenager is a child! When you get to be my age, you realize that they are still kids. Shit, even a 21 year old is still a kid to me even though they are legally an adult at age 18.
  • thetrollcat

I havent seen that post but no I was inspired by the SD being pregnant AGAIN lol

Quoting louzannalady:

Is this about the "I want to know every detail of my teenager's gyno visit and violate her rights." post?

• thetrollcat
    November 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM

whatever. Im sorry but my daughter is not a CHILD, she is adolescent she is a teenager.

Quoting ElitestJen:

A child is someone under 18.  An adult is someone 18+. 

Treating someone like a "child" can be age appropriate.  Obviously, a 17yo has different needs and expectations than someone who is 6yo.  The 17yo is still a child.

Biologically, there's an argument that one is a child until their brain is fully developed at around age 25. 

• Mrs.Bryant1201
    November 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM

She is your adult child. 

• AllofFive19
    November 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Until a person is 19 (in my state) they are a child. An older child, but nonetheless a child. You can treat a child as an adult and still ask that he or she follow the rules of the house because they are not yet an adult. 

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts