Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
one_on_the_way
Has your child ever had a tantrum in public?
November 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM

...or a tantrum at all?

Tonight I took my son to an ice cream shop.  Before going, I reminded him that he needed to be a good boy and sit nice and listen to Mommy.  He said "yes, I will be a good boy!" (which WAY MORE times than not, he is).

We sat together and enjoyed a Sweet Strawberry Sensation ice cream treat.  When we were done, he pretended to play some Pack-Man on their old-school video game.  When he was bored with that, he said he wanted more ice cream.  I told him "No, we already had our treat -- we're going to go home soon -- let's get your coat on."  --- This was followed by him laying on the ground, kicking and protesting.  This behavior has NEVER gotten him his way, so I'm frustrated that he still tests it (he's 3 1/2).

After asking him to please get up -- and to please listen -- it was obvious he had no intention of cooperating. I warned him that if he didn't stop and walk nice with me, that I would carry him out.  Still no cooperation.  I picked him up and carried him out - kicking and screaming.

Two minutes into our drive home he said "I'm sorry I didn't listen, Momma." 

For those who have had their kids tantrum in public, any advice?  Or have you just resorted to carrying them out like I did?

Replies

• MOMMY2ACR
    November 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM
    My dd is only 16 months. So her fits are usually bc she doesn't understand. Like at a resturaunt she'll get rambunctious while we're waiting. Right now I just take her in the rest room and we calm down. Idk if that will work when she's bigger though...
  • TiffanyRose06
    November 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Yeeeeeeeeeeeees. You did good. 

• svolkov
    by svolkov
    November 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    Nothing u can do. Mine have never thrown a tantrum but they have gotten grumpy. I usually just give a warning then leave .
  • one_on_the_way
    November 14, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

Lol!  So, I'm not alone?  Thanks for saying I did good.  It is rare when he acts that way so I don't always feel prepared to deal with it.  In hindsight I think "maybe I should have given him more 'warning' that we were going to leave".....but then I realize that my decision to leave was more based on his behavior, so the warning I usually give was no longer an option.

Sigh -- parenthood.  If there were only an 'if this, then that' manual for every situation!

• TiffanyRose06
    November 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    I know right? DS is usually behaved, but when he throws a tantrum its a head turner. I've been told by several people to 'throw a tantrum' myself to show him how ridiculous it looks but I'm not that brave.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

Lol!  So, I'm not alone?  Thanks for saying I did good.  It is rare when he acts that way so I don't always feel prepared to deal with it.  In hindsight I think "maybe I should have given him more 'warning' that we were going to leave".....but then I realize that my decision to leave was more based on his behavior, so the warning I usually give was no longer an option.

Sigh -- parenthood.  If there were only an 'if this, then that' manual for every situation!

• monkeyrhea
    November 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Oh yes...they both had one at the same time. One of the most embarassing moments of my life. I had them both in the cart at Target I think they were around 2 and 4. The 2 year old was in the front part and the 4 year old in the back. Well, they got mad because I was getting what they wanted fast enough so I told them we just weren't getting it at all and then all hell broke loose. The 4 year old was trying jump out of the moving cart so I had to put him under my arm and try to hang on while he was kicking and screaming and with my other hand drag the cart out of the store while my little one was screaming and kicking. I had soooooo many stares. Some were pity stares or understanding stares and some were from people who obliviously have never had children because they were just annoyed.

• Jade89
    by Jade89
    November 14, 2012 at 11:14 PM
    I can honestly say my son has never had a tantrum in public, or a tantrum... He's had a I'm sleepy melt down once or twice but never fall out on the floor screaming type of thing

• RunningMommaof2
    November 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM
    Yes my 3 year old has had a couple. You did the absolute right thing. Chances are that it won't happen again.

When your kid has a tantrum in public (which they ALL do at some point) and you give them want they want is when you're going to have a big problem on your hands.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM
    Yes my oldest at 3 and half yrs old did it before at the mall. i managed to get him up, i was 8 mths pregnant with my oldest. he fought me and slipped dropped to the floor and i went to grab him and i fell too.

He tried to take off running and i grabbed his shoulders got him on his knees and said breathe its ok relaxe. We sat on the floor together in the midst of the clothes and held him. attemp+ed to pick him up again and i couldnt.

a security officer who was alerted by a woman who said that i was being abusive went to him. i explain that my son just freaked out because he was frustrated (my son actually had a trigger moment, his dads family was yeah, why we left)and that itd pass. he picked my son up helped me up and walked us to our car.
    he said itll get better its k.

My son is now 7yrs old and rarely has triggers anymore. we meditate together.

Youngest attempted and saw it wasnt getting poistive feedback and stopped. Seeing his brother getting treats and not him helped.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM
    Idk what child hasn't had a tantrum anywhere

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts