Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Spanking!!!
by Anonymous
November 7, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Horrible I dont do it I think this is the best way to teach children how to loose your cool. I think showing them you can be mature about your actions then they will as adults deal with stress better.
Get a grip on yourselves and quit hitting your kids!!!
If you dont believe in this form of parenting maybe you can share your ideas..

Replies

• sugareemommee
    November 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM

no they know I've lost my cool when I'm yelling. 

I have only spanked when they do something dangerous...

liiiiiiiike perching on a 2nd floor windowsill with the screen down and storm windows up..

• gabby416
    November 7, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I personally hate spanking my kids.  I have done it when I feel need be, but that is not very often, I would much rather my child listens to me out of respect not out of fear.  That is just my personal opinion and me and my girls have an understanding I don't usuallly have to disiplin very often.  Every family is different though and it is their choice to disiplin how they see fit.  These days with my older DD I have implamented the wall sit.  it works wonders.

• CanadianMom12
    November 7, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    Cry me a river, shit me a bridge and get the hell over it! I was spanked and grew up to not be a little shit head.
  • alexsmomma06
    November 7, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Biting is also an aggressive behavior and all 3 of my children did that- Do you think I was biting my children at 9months old? Of course not.  We as humans are aggressive and violent. That has been proven throughout history. They see aggressive behavior everywhere. Are you stating that your child has never hit another person, yelled, screamed, etc?Because if you say that they haven't, then I think we all know it would be BS.  Obviously you don't spank, so where did your children learn that?

Quoting lkeyes143:

Why do you think your child hit someone, though? Could it be because they've learned that behaviour?...from momma? Aggression is a learned behavior.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

If I see my child hit someone after being told not to, then yes. I simply say "does that feel good? Do you want me to hit you like you hit them?' The answer is always no and they get the picture.

You walk up to a grown adult and punch them after they take the last loaf of bread you wanted, do you think they will stand calmly by? No, they will hit back. Cause and effect, it works.

My children do not fear me, they fear punishment. You don't obey the law because you're afraid of the judge, you do it because you are afraid if going to jail. Once again, cause and effect teaching.

Quoting lkeyes143:

But WHY would you want your child to fear you? Why would you teach your child that it's acceptable to be aggressive to someone who is helpless or smaller than you? *smh*

It irks me when I see parents say, "Don't hit!"...as they're hitting them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do people assume that those who spank do so in anger? Many do not. Sure, there are some but I don't and the people I know who spank do not either. So why the assumption?

• fitnessdanielle
    November 7, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    I was not spanked as a child and I did not grow up to be a disobedient, wild, out of control, rule/law breaking teen/adult. I hear so may people talk about how my kids will turn out because I choose not to spank. In my opinion (shit is gonna hit the fan maybe I should post anon) spanking is lazy parenting. Hitting a child is an easy form of discipline. I cannot justify hitting someone or hurting someone physically that I love the way I do my children. Nothing breaks my heart more than seeing them in pain and I am the last person who would inflict that on them. I always want them to know their father and I are.the ones who are.going to love and protect them and will not allow anyone especially us to hurt them. There are.so many better forms of discipline and we have gotten creative with it and grounding, extra math sheets, etc have been very effective.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    November 7, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    That was put so well! I guess I was kind of shocked at all the moms who openly admit almost to the point of bragging that they hit their kids. Thanks:-)

Quoting fitnessdanielle:

I was not spanked as a child and I did not grow up to be a disobedient, wild, out of control, rule/law breaking teen/adult. I hear so may people talk about how my kids will turn out because I choose not to spank. In my opinion (shit is gonna hit the fan maybe I should post anon) spanking is lazy parenting. Hitting a child is an easy form of discipline. I cannot justify hitting someone or hurting someone physically that I love the way I do my children. Nothing breaks my heart more than seeing them in pain and I am the last person who would inflict that on them. I always want them to know their father and I are.the ones who are.going to love and protect them and will not allow anyone especially us to hurt them. There are.so many better forms of discipline and we have gotten creative with it and grounding, extra math sheets, etc have been very effective.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 10, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    I agree with you completly, as a wife, a mother of two lovely, confident, happy, intelligent, funny and never spanked teenage daughters as well as a clinical therapist. There is not one shred of evidence that spanking has any long term benefits in changing a child's behavior in any thing beyond an immediate reaction offear or intimidation and many, many unintended negative consequences. Can you imagine how quickly I would lose my professional license and job if a bewildered and confused parent came to me for help with a child who had emotional or behavioral issues and I whipped out a belt or stick and gave them a quick recommendation to simply strike their son or daughter?
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    November 10, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    Quoting CanadianMom12:

Cry me a river, shit me a bridge and get the hell over it! I was spanked and grew up to not be a little shit head.

Not the most articulate or intelligent response of the evening. As human beings, we are perhaps the worst judges of ourselves. To say being hit had no effect on your life is quite difficult to believe, if you hit your own children, it certainly did have an affect.
  • msmom29
    by msmom29
    November 10, 2012 at 8:36 PM

we dont spank when we are angry, my daughter gets spanked , if she is doing something that is going to harm her, like messing with the stove, climbing on counters and getting into stuff that will make her sick.We try to link the to together, if you touch this it will hurt you, so we give her a spank on the butt, not hard but she understands then what she did was really bad. Our normal form of punishment is time out in the corner, and now that she is getting bigger we have started to take toys away, and do early bedtime. We also praise her when she is doing good things, and being helpful.

• haunted.mommy
    November 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Here is an idea!

You parent your kids and I will parent mine.

Have a nice day.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts