Mom Confessions

Anonymous
What do you think about a flat tax, across the board?
by Anonymous
November 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Say everyone had to pay 15% in taxes - off of their gross income.

Fair or Not Fair?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 63% - Fair
  2. 31% - Not Fair - explain
  3. 5% - Other - explain

Replies

• brittany208
    November 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I asked this same question awhile back, and one person called me ignorant, and no one else bothered to explain why it wouldnt work....

• erinsmom1964

Quoting Lurion:

I voted "other"--I'm for a flat tax, but it should be 10%.

IMO this would have to be done as a package deal for it to work--minimum wage would be automatically adjusted to keep up with inflation (high enough so that minimum wage workers don't also need food stamps to survive or buy health insurance with what's left) and basic health care would be provided to all (single-payer so rates can be negotiated and public cost isn't  outrageous). 

They've done studies that show a 10% worldwide flat tax would provide every person in the world with basic food, shelter and medical care. 

I disagree.  Minimum wage jobs are not meant for grown ups who are raising families.  Instead of making business pay more for menial non skilled jobs these people should be doing something to lift themselves up into anther sector and leave these types of jobs for who they are intended our youth to get work experience and to help put themselves through college.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous

It's fair in a sense, but the poor will continue being poor, and the rich will continue getting richer. I think what is fair, is that based on income you pay a certain amount. It should be capped at say... 20%. But I think it's unfair to let those who make considerably less to pay the same amount as those who can afford to give up more than half of their paycheck if they wanted! 

• Aislinn
    by Aislinn

Quoting Anonymous:

Not fair, those with lower income it would hurt, higher income it wouldn't bother.

Precisely why the FAIR Tax is a much better idea than the Flat Tax. The more you spend on non basic items, the more you pay. 

• numonestunar
    November 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    It's fair. Everyone should pay.
  • erinsmom1964
    November 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Quoting brittany208:

I asked this same question awhile back, and one person called me ignorant, and no one else bothered to explain why it wouldnt work....

You have to remember your audiance here on CM.  Many don't even understand how taxes work....how to properly fill out a W-4 or that EIC is really PA>  I mean how many times do you hear people say "I paid for my PA" yet when you get right down to it they got all they put in back PLUS more back.  They think as long as something was taken out they are owed it.

• Lurion
    by Lurion
    November 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM

That's a nice sentiment. Do you know how many people are raising children on minimum wage jobs? 

So do you believe that it is possible to run the entire US economy with young people doing minimum wage jobs and the other 95% of the adult population all doing higher-level jobs? How would that work?

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Lurion:

IMO this would have to be done as a package deal for it to work--minimum wage would be automatically adjusted to keep up with inflation (high enough so that minimum wage workers don't also need food stamps to survive or buy health insurance with what's left) and basic health care would be provided to all (single-payer so rates can be negotiated and public cost isn't  outrageous). 

They've done studies that show a 10% worldwide flat tax would provide every person in the world with basic food, shelter and medical care. 

I disagree.  Minimum wage jobs are not meant for grown ups who are raising families.  Instead of making business pay more for menial non skilled jobs these people should be doing something to lift themselves up into anther sector and leave these types of jobs for who they are intended our youth to get work experience and to help put themselves through college.

• numonestunar
    November 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    I agree

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Lurion:

• erinsmom1964
    November 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Quoting Aislinn:

I like the FAIR tax, not the FLAT tax.. Two different ideas. One is a flat tax across the board, the other is a heavy tax on luxury items and no tax on basic needs. 

They are very different as one is a sales tax and the other is a income tax

• brittany208
    November 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Not fair. I am low income - 15% would break me. When you make 18K a year, 15% is a whole lot of money.

This makes no sense to me? 15% for you is 2700$. 15% for a millionaire is $150,000. You make less, you pay less. They make more, they pay more.

Mom Confessions