Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
usmc.momma
Breast cancer month irks me
October 15, 2012 at 2:41 AM
As terrible as it sounds, I hate that breast cancer gets so much recognition and awareness. Cancer is cancer!! It all sucks, it all can kill. Sure breast cancer is most common in women, but why should that make it more important? I think all cancers should be supported and have equal awareness!! That's my confession for the night.

Eta: don't turn this around to make it sound like I'm bashing survivors or people currently fighting breast cancer. I'm totally NOT!!

Replies

• AnjalisMommy07
    October 15, 2012 at 2:43 AM
    I feel that breast canccer gets so muc recognition because it deals with breasts.
  • usmc.momma
    October 15, 2012 at 2:47 AM
    They focus it exclusively to women when lots of men get breast cancer too. I think that if other types of cancer had the awareness that breast cancer had, more people would get screened and diagnosed way sooner.

Quoting AnjalisMommy07:

I feel that breast canccer gets so muc recognition because it deals with breasts.
  • eyeheartsin
    October 15, 2012 at 2:50 AM
    I agree. Cancer awareness and fundraisers irk me in general because people are being lied to. CANCER IS CURABLE. It has been since the 1940's but Big Pharma keeps it hidden to fuel their profits.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    October 15, 2012 at 2:56 AM

I agree that they need to spend more time on other cancer awareness as well. My guess as to why they focus on breast cancer so much is because early detection is key and in a lot of instances can be found at an early stage by examining yourself.

I had an aunt pass away with breast cancer so I'm a ribbon wearer. I've also had family pass away with colon cancer and i support that too. Cancer is horrible and all victim of it deserve to be honored. It's a horrible thing to go through, and a horrid way to die. I've watched one too many suffer and pass away from cancer.

• sheramom4
    October 15, 2012 at 2:59 AM

My kids have PTSD awareness ribbons which they have been told they can't wear at school because they are "political" (my DH has PTSD), but this month most of the kids are wearing pink ribbons....that part irritates me. And that every product available turns pink.

• usmc.momma
    October 15, 2012 at 3:01 AM
    My mom had colon cancer too. Her doctors said she was incredibly lucky. She went in for something totally different when they discovered it. She was only 36 too!

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree that they need to spend more time on other cancer awareness as well. My guess as to why they focus on breast cancer so much is because early detection is key and in a lot of instances can be found at an early stage by examining yourself.

I had an aunt pass away with breast cancer so I'm a ribbon wearer. I've also had family pass away with colon cancer and i support that too. Cancer is horrible and all victim of it deserve to be honored. It's a horrible thing to go through, and a horrid way to die. I've watched one too many suffer and pass away from cancer.

• noble427
    October 15, 2012 at 3:01 AM
    I totally agree!!
  • got2monsters
    October 15, 2012 at 3:02 AM
    That's bullshit, I'm sorry, take it higher and fight for their rights.

Quoting sheramom4:

My kids have PTSD awareness ribbons which they have been told they can't wear at school because they are "political" (my DH has PTSD), but this month most of the kids are wearing pink ribbons....that part irritates me. And that every product available turns pink.

• usmc.momma
    October 15, 2012 at 3:02 AM
    WTF?? Since when is PTSD political?? I'd tell that school to kiss my ass. DH had mild PTSD, hugs momma!!

Quoting sheramom4:

• sheramom4
    October 15, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Quoting got2monsters:

That's bullshit, I'm sorry, take it higher and fight for their rights.

Quoting sheramom4:

I just send it with it on them anyway and they also have bracelets....if it becomes an issue again, I will be peaking to the district.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts