Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Kitty lovers help please
by Anonymous
October 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM
I have a cat who is completely declawed sad I know I didn't do it anyways she doesn't poop in her litter box any ideas? Btw she did when we first got her but after a week she started pooping in hallway and has ever since.

Replies

• KyliesMom5
    October 13, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    How long has she been doing this? Has she been checked by the vet? How old is she?
    When cats doe this it is usually their way of telling us that they are not happy about something or that something is medically wrong. It could be the kitty litter, it could be that the litterbox is not clean enough for her. it could be anything.
    I would have her checked by the vet and do blood work especially if she is an older cat. Then start doing some behavioral modifications.
    How many litterboxs do you have? If you only have one I would get a second one. You might also get a comfort zone with feliway plug in because that can help with this issue. Also there is a kitty litter called cat attract that helps encourage cats to use the box
    Another option if the behavioral modifications don't work is medication like Valium or prozac.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    I have always had declawed cats and use a variety of different litters without issue. Your cat is new and something may be bugging him. If he is peeing in the litter, its not the litter.
  • TurtleSquish

some kitties still have pain, especially if their back paws are done. it's not unheard of...my kitten wouldn't touch the box that had clay in it after his declaw, but doesn't mind it at all now

Quoting Melanie420:

My cats are declaed and never had a problem with using the litter box. One of my cats went on the floor just for the hell of it cause she was a dumbass, their paws heal

Quoting Anonymous:

She doesn't like the litter because its hurting her paws. They make a special litter for declawed cats.

• slashteddy
    October 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    How old is she?
  • kansasmom1978
    October 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Sounds like an UTI. She would associate the pain to the litter box. 

• Destiny907
    October 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I have owned A LOT of cats over the many years. I'm 60..... I've had probably 10 cats over my life. ALL HAVE BEEN DECLAWED.   I don't feel one bit guilty over it either. It gave them a great long long lifetime in a good home with us.  They ruined far too much to let them be in and have those claws, sorry.

But, the declaw did not make any one of them stop using the box.  When they were recovering, we just used shredded newspaper. Then went back to the usual.

When they began to do odd potty things, I would observe everything.  I discovered I could NOT own more than two cats at a time, it seems 3 would trigger peeing, marking in the house!

My current cat was pooping out of the pan- I watched him close, his stools were too hard, he would begin in the pan, then leave it, still trying to defecate.

He is on a more canned food now than kibble, and he gets a small daily maintainence dose of Miralax which keeps his stools the right consistency. 

He stopped pooping in the hallway!  I keep the pans super super clean too.

Good luck! you will figure it out, just sleuth..

• Melanie420
    October 13, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I only had my cats front paws, I didnt know they even did the back ones, they still have to scratch

Quoting TurtleSquish:

some kitties still have pain, especially if their back paws are done. it's not unheard of...my kitten wouldn't touch the box that had clay in it after his declaw, but doesn't mind it at all now

Quoting Melanie420:

My cats are declaed and never had a problem with using the litter box. One of my cats went on the floor just for the hell of it cause she was a dumbass, their paws heal

Quoting Anonymous:

She doesn't like the litter because its hurting her paws. They make a special litter for declawed cats.

• mariesmama
    October 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM

switch her catlitter the one shes using is hurting her feet i learned this watching the show " my cat from hell"

• thefiregoddess
    October 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM

They do make special litter for declaws, try that.

Also they have this special kitten litter that 'attracts' them to it. I fostered kittens and my one kitten would NOT shit in the damn box. I put that in and it worked like magic. It was like 8$ a tiny bag but I only had to do it once!

• TurtleSquish
    October 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM

some vets still do :( they shouldn't, but they do. That is much more invasive than the front and causes a lot of pain

Quoting Melanie420:

I only had my cats front paws, I didnt know they even did the back ones, they still have to scratch

Quoting TurtleSquish:

Quoting Melanie420:

Quoting Anonymous:

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts