Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
vinalex0581
At what age do you teach your children to be self sufficient?
October 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM

is 7 years old too young?

Replies

• kathislove80
    October 14, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    Since birth! No freeloaders around here!
  • bmommyx2
    October 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I don't think anyone is ever truly "self sufficient" I rely on my mom all of the time.  That said I don't know what specifically you are referring to but I think it's a great idea to teach kids to do age appropriate things anytime there is an opportunity.  I taught my son at a young age to get things for himself like drinks an snacks as soon as he was strong enough to open the fridge.  He can get a stool & climb up & get things out of the cupboard.  He's six & has been doing this & other things for several years.

• NYChicago
    October 15, 2012 at 8:05 AM

My twin daughters are 7 and are pretty independent. Of course, they have to be reminded EVERY DAY to pick up after themselves and bring dirty dishes into the kitchen, LOL!!

• StevensCare4u
    October 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM

See I agree! I am very adamit about my kids doing things on thier own. But I WILL NOT allow my children outside alone. EVER My DD9 would love to ride her bike outside with the other children without me like everyone else. But I always just tell her that Im NOT going to be one of those parents that is crying on the news begging for the return of her child. THere are so many children getting abducted that I dont want to take any chances. They arent even allowed in our yard without me. THe world gets scarier every day. So sad

Quoting ChibiMarronChan:

I think self sufficient is a pretty loose term! We had a 10 year old girl in colorado a few weeks ago who was abducted on her way to school. She only walks 2 blocks before she meets her friends at a park, and walks the rest of the way, but she didn't make it to the park. After a 10 day search, they found her body in a park 7 miles away. So....yeah I definately think you need to be careful about your kids! Doing something like getting themselves out of bed and pouring their own cereal is fine. Things like leaving your kids alone at home or letting them walk by themselves might not be. It's really dependent on every kid for what they are ready for, but you also can't just trust that the world is going to deliver your child home to you every day. It's important to stay with them and keep an eye until they are old enough to defend/take care of themselves.

• malissaL
    October 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM

what do you mean by that? I think it's something you teach them early on and in stages..by 3 or so they can dress themself and put their clothes in the hamper. 4-5 they can be expected to put clean, folded laundry away. 5-6 they can make theirself a sandwich and pour a small cup of water or milk. A 7-8 year old can be expected to come home from school and complete a couple chores like emptying a dishwasher or garbages...and so on and so forth. 

It depends on the kid. My stepson is almost 8 and cannot tie his own shoes or pour milk for the life of him because all the older kids do everything for him..If you start early, it's better. There is no "magic" age to begin expecting a kid to do for theirself.

• littlesuzyfrog
    October 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM

2-3.  The earlier you start it, the better.  Who wants to have a kid who needs someone to help them poop?  Not my kid, but friends.  This friend also had her 4yr old in diapers.  Explains the poop thing i guess.

• Tal0n
    by Tal0n
    October 15, 2012 at 9:14 PM

What the heck is your definition of self sufficient?????

• RhyneX2
    by RhyneX2
    October 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    It depends on what you mean...my 3 year old does a lot on his own. But not everything..
  • toomanygone1130
    October 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM

That's a hard one for me. There is a lot of grey area in there.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts