Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
vinalex0581
At what age do you teach your children to be self sufficient?
October 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM

is 7 years old too young?

Replies

• th78
    by th78
    October 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM

i don't think it's too young, but i suppose it really depends on the individual. some mature faster than others. that being said, my 13 yr old has been self sufficient for ever. my 9 yr old, not so much. 

• 3earthangels
    October 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    What do you mean by self sufficient? Can get themself dressed, shower alone, make their own food, do work on their own, go to bed and wake up on their own....

Depends on what your definition of self sufficient is.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    October 12, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    Isn't that something you teach little by little until they are 18?
  • norwgnwood
    October 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    Nope. I start teaching it as soon as they can walk. With little things of course, like throwing away their own trash or picking out their own PJs or toy.
  • mom2cheesebug
    October 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM
    Depends on what u want him to be sufficiant at.

At 7, my ss can make his own cold breakfast or lunch, he can shower on his own, he can pick his own clothes out (although i always have to tell him if there is snow outside or its cold out he needs pants), he gets up on his own, he has a bedtime, he picks up after himself.....
  • Not_A_Native
    October 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

It's something they learn, little by little.  Starting very young is good - throw away their own garbage, put away their own clothes and toys, and so on.   As they get older, staying home alone, cooking food.  As teenagers, interviewing skills, managing money, planning ahead.  Ideally, so that by the time they are legally an adult, they can make good decisions on their own without parents telling them what to do.

• Aislinn
    by Aislinn
    October 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

What is your definition of self sufficient?

• alwayskk
    October 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I guess that depends on how you're going to teach them.

As soon as my children could walk, they started doing household chores.

My daughter is about to turn six and she now gets her own snacks and drinks and can make sandwiches for herself and her little brother.

• kryptomom
    October 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

So, like, pay their own bills and move out?

• UgtaBkdnMe
    October 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

What do you mean? My DD is 7, she takes showers alone, gets herself dressed, cleans her room (sort of) lol 

Thats about it.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts