Mom Confessions

weirdkids
My toddler is going to be the death of me!!
October 12, 2012 at 9:10 AM
He can't go a single day without getting hurt. Its not even 9am and he already bruised his cheek and has an egg on his head. I can't win with him. He has a sensory disorder where he seeks out impact or pain(though he doesn't respond to pain) He is constantly doing something risky just for the "ooff" factor. If he's not doing it on purpose its a consequence of whatever it is he's doing. Like the bruised cheek. Playing with cabnet door slipped hit the door lol egg on his head? Got mad and threw his toy in the air....it came back down. We can never have a period of time bruise free lol I swear he's gonna be the death of me. Just now he smacked his nose. Today just isn't his day.
Ok vent over.

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    October 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    We too were told it wasn't a HUGE concern, just meant caring for him would be a little different. We first noticed the head banging when he was just a tiny baby, and as he got older we noticed he had a difficult time with textures. he has been doing this running into things for about a year now. (he's 3 now) Part of our bed and morning routine is body checks (he calls it checking to see of he's man or machine. Lol) we're military, so my kids don't always see the same doc. THAT is really stressful. His bruises make me feel terrible as is, but explaining again and again (though I'm glad they ask, even though it's in his charts!) is tough. It's SO hard to keep eyes on him all the time.. Impossible, really ,with other kids in the home. It's so frustrating that it can happen literally if I turn my head to pick something up, or something.. even when I can see him I can't necessarily stop him from running into the wall as he turns the corner, you know? :( I just want to put him in a bubble! We
    Looked into getting a Danmar or protector cap, but he is old enough I take it off now, and I'm not sure it would do us much good at this point.

When he was 2 he fell and smacked his head on the corner of the foot of his crib. Needed stitches, and he didn't make a sound. I had no idea unit I came back in from filling his cup and he was bleeding. I was out of his totally baby-friendly room maybe a minute or two. He was Just playing with his cars like nothing even happened. That's really when I thought something was up.

DH is a nurse, thank GOD, and was a line medic before. So we have lots of hospital/army grade tools like otoscope, stethoscope, thermometer.. Those things don't run cheap, but I know exactly what you mean with having to really check to find out if something is wrong.

Sigh. Crazy kids!

Quoting weirdkids:

it definatly brings your anxiety up but other than that..... it just means your kid is a little more rough than most. my sons dr said to act like i would with any of the other kids just to watch his bumps and bruises and read his body. like if hes sick? we have to rely on weither or not he has a fever to know if hes sick. im actually going to buy one of those tools to check his ears because he doesnt tell me if something is bothering him because even he doesnt realize it. its alot of reading up on signs and symptoms because 9 out of 10 times you have to figure out whats wrong on your own through process of elimination. web md will be your best friend lol

Quoting Anonymous:

We are having my oldest tested for an SPD for this same reason. He intentionally walks, scratch that, ins into walls sometimes, bangs his head, etc. They knew us on first name basis at the ER before he was even three. :/

• weirdkids
    October 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    Mine hasn't been seriously hurt knock on wood. The worst was his black eye from meeting grandmas table when he tried to climb over his Mega blocks bag and slipped off. Mainly just bruises. People look at me like I beat him.
  • CeeGee81
    October 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Sounds like my boy.  He's 4.5 now but has been this way since he started to crawl lol

Couldn't even be bruise free when we had his picture taken last weekend lol

• weirdkids
    October 12, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    That's too funny. My lo has a fresh bruise in the same spot lol

Quoting CeeGee81:

Sounds like my boy.  He's 4.5 now but has been this way since he started to crawl lol

Couldn't even be bruise free when we had his picture taken last weekend lol

Mom Confessions