Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Not sure if I should bring this up to my daughter....
by Anonymous
October 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM

My daughter received an invitation to a birthday party for Sat.

The problem is, this girl was likely made to invite her whole cheer team. I have heard her mock the newer girls (dd included) and I understand a little bit. She and her "bestie" take tumbling classes and live and breath cheer, meanwhile there are girls who are first years who can't even do a tumble, on the same team not to mention that these girls are 10 and dd is 8.

DD asked her what she wanted for her birthday and the girl told her "oh well I really like Alex and Ani bracelets" I am sorry kid, I am not getting you a $30 bracelet, you're 10.

If dd's friends from cheer are not going, I am considering trying to influence DD to not go. The girl goes to a private school, so dd definitely will not know anyone, and I feel like they are just doing it to "include everyone" and to get more presents.

I am not terribly happy to bring her to this party, but I also don't want to say no.

Replies

• nocalmegan
    October 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    I'm not sure. I thought that was about owls. But I could be confused. Lol I've never read them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Used books are 50% off and new books are 30% off, so I am thinking maybe a $15 certificate will be adequate.

Mom said she likes cats, I think there is a book series called The Guardians? that is about cats

Quoting nocalmegan:

Well that's different entirely. Not buying a 30$ gift because you cant afford it and not buying it because the child is only 10 is very different. if 30$ will hurt your budget then don't spend 30$ but if it won't and it's solely based in the fact the kid is 10 then that's cheap. Kwim

Quoting Anonymous:

If by cheap you mean I live on a tight budget yes.

Both my husband and I are, and were raised lower middle class. In my world, $30 is expensive, that is the line where things are started to be considered "expensive" unless it is an electronic. We don't need assistance but we don't have it easy.

When I just went to pick up dd from cheer, mom had 8 ( yes, I counted) A&A bracelets on. No wonder the girl wanted one.

Anyway mom said the girl really loves to read and suggested a gift certificate for the local used book store.

Quoting nocalmegan:

I dunno. Sounds like you are just cheap all around. If you don't have the money that's a whole other story, but you haven't mentioned that at all so I'm going to assume that you are just cheap. If that's not the case then please correct me and then I take it back but until then.....

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    October 11, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Warriors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warriors_%28novel_series%29

Maybe buy her the first book in the series and then get a gift certif

Quoting nocalmegan:

I'm not sure. I thought that was about owls. But I could be confused. Lol I've never read them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Used books are 50% off and new books are 30% off, so I am thinking maybe a $15 certificate will be adequate.

Mom said she likes cats, I think there is a book series called The Guardians? that is about cats

Quoting nocalmegan:

Well that's different entirely. Not buying a 30$ gift because you cant afford it and not buying it because the child is only 10 is very different. if 30$ will hurt your budget then don't spend 30$ but if it won't and it's solely based in the fact the kid is 10 then that's cheap. Kwim

Quoting Anonymous:

Both my husband and I are, and were raised lower middle class. In my world, $30 is expensive, that is the line where things are started to be considered "expensive" unless it is an electronic. We don't need assistance but we don't have it easy.

When I just went to pick up dd from cheer, mom had 8 ( yes, I counted) A&A bracelets on. No wonder the girl wanted one.

Anyway mom said the girl really loves to read and suggested a gift certificate for the local used book store.

Quoting nocalmegan:

I dunno. Sounds like you are just cheap all around. If you don't have the money that's a whole other story, but you haven't mentioned that at all so I'm going to assume that you are just cheap. If that's not the case then please correct me and then I take it back but until then.....

• PinkieRed
    October 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    I would just get her a $15 gift card to the bookstore then. She can get at least a few used books for that. I wouldn't feel obligated to get her the bracelet.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting nocalmegan:

• nocalmegan
    October 11, 2012 at 8:38 PM
    That sounds like a very good present. I always liked getting books when I was her age. My whole family reads a lot and growing up my parents hated buying us books because we'd read a 20$ book in one day. Same reason i don't buy them for myself now lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Warriors

Quoting nocalmegan:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting nocalmegan:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting nocalmegan:

• Anonymous 7
    by Anonymous 7
    October 11, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    It's kinda part of life
  • PinkieRed
    October 11, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    That's a good idea. Or the gift card with a cute bookmark.

Quoting Anonymous:

Warriors

Quoting nocalmegan:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting nocalmegan:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting nocalmegan:

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN