Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Stay at home moms who send their kids to "school"
by Anonymous
October 11, 2012 at 8:27 AM

As a stay at home mom I find it so frustrating and pathetic to see other stay at home moms sending their kids to "school" at like ages 1-3. I see people posting about droping the kids off to school all day. Seriously people, that is not school that is daycare. If you are staying home your kids should be home with you. 

Replies

• Yogamom08
    October 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM
    I asked the school. I called our school district and they put me through to the right people to schedule an evaluation. Whoever is handling yor E.I. could get the ball rolling for you as well.

Quoting mali321:

Did you ask the school for this or was ds in EI and they assisted. Not trying to intrude but my dd will be going into the school system next year and will need the special needs class since she will not qualify anymore for birth to three.

Quoting Yogamom08:

I am a stay at home mom, but DS goes to a special needs preschool through our public school system two days a week. He gets speech and occupational therapy, and his teacher specializes in behavior modification.

I would have no problem with him staying home every day, but he NEEDS this to help prepare him for mainstream school. He is 4 by the way.

• Yogamom08
    October 11, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    Lol that's awesome!! Glad to hear she is doing well :)

Quoting -ZombieGirl-:

She is 5 now and in Kinder and is doing great! Before she wasn't speaking at all, not even a word. Now she is at about a 3yr speech level. She asks you a ton of questions and loves to sing now. She is amazing at math. They tell me she is at a second grade level. O.o

She didn't get her math skills from me, that's for sure. lol

Quoting Yogamom08:

He goes two days a week from 8-3...actually, the bus picks him up at 7:15 and drops him off at 4. He will get more days next year. I was so nervous about sending him, but he is doing great!

How old is your DD and how is she doing now?

Quoting -ZombieGirl-:

Quoting Yogamom08:

I am a stay at home mom, but DS goes to a special needs preschool through our public school system two days a week. He gets speech and occupational therapy, and his teacher specializes in behavior modification.

I would have no problem with him staying home every day, but he NEEDS this to help prepare him for mainstream school. He is 4 by the way.

This was the same with my DD, she is autistic and went to a special needs school when she was 3 up until she was 4 and started pre-K (also special needs)but it was 4 days a weeks for 5 hours. It's something she needed.

Everyone is different I don't know why OP is getting worked up over something that is different for everyone. There are several reasons why a parent may stay home and have a child in school, like the parent being disable. 

Also "school" is in a lot of daycares' names so that may be why they call it school.  

• kitchen.ninja
    October 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    Some kids need school that young.
  • RayOSunshine03
    October 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Yeah, you're just wrong. Completely. Special ed preschool always starts at LEAST by age 3, that's how the transition from ECI works. On an at risk child's 3rd birthday, they age out of early intervention services. And your assertion that "ECI agrees that young children belong at home" is ludicrous. Do you understand what ECI is? Do you understand the concept? The whole idea behind early intervention services is that from ages 0-3, at risk children are in danger of being UNDERSTIMULATED if they are only exposed to their caregivers. That's why they come to parents homes- because those homes provide insufficient developmental stimulation.

Children under 5 don't really need to be too concerned with academics. They need to be developing their social skills, and the best way to do this is through unstructured play time WITH THEIR PEERS. The idea that a fancy, private preschool is superior to a daycare is wrongheaded. Sure, the quality of child care will vary immensely from place to place, but the OP's assertion that EVERY SAHM who sends her young child to anything but an Ivy League Preschool is just being lazy doesn't fly. We get it- you don't understand why someone would stay at home but not be with their child every waking moment. You don't understand, though, mostly because you're willingly ignorant in order to feel sanctimonious. Your position comes from completely misunderstanding the function of childcare, the importance of peer interactions, and the developmental needs of young children after infancy. Many of us wonder why mothers with the means to put their children in childcare/other peer related activities choose to isolate their children until public kindergarten, but, in all fairness, most typically developing children will catch up. Most...

Quoting Lydlou02:

Sped preschool doesn't start until 4 anyway. Even early intervention agrees that younger jids belong at home. from birth-3 if a kid needs therapy the teacher comes to your home.

Quoting Yogamom08:

• sunshineeli
    October 11, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Pardon me, but at 3 years, it is indeed considered pre-SCHOOL.  And who are you to say what a mother should or shouldn't do with her children?  You have no idea what her situation is.  Maybe she works from home or she wants her kid(s) to be around other children for the social aspect before they start Kindergarten.  I'm a single mother who works full-time so I didn't have a choice but to put my son in daycare starting from when he was 5 months old.  Once he was old enough, he moved up into the PRESCHOOL room at 2 1/2-years-old. 

• Mazie0723
    October 11, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I want my kids to be kids and have fun before they spend a minimum of 13 years in school. So mine stay home with my until they start kindergarten like I did with my oldest 3. I have one starting next year(2013) and then my current youngest starts(2014) and then it will just be new little guy and me till 2018. lol

• Anonymous 53
    by Anonymous 53
    October 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM

DS started Headstart/Pre-School at 2 for early intervention he was in day care half the day pre-school other half the day. DD did pre-school at 2 also for intervention. Guess I was bad bad divorced mom. I should of been shot.

Quoting Anonymous:

As a stay at home mom I find it so frustrating and pathetic to see other stay at home moms sending their kids to "school" at like ages 1-3. I see people posting about droping the kids off to school all day. Seriously people, that is not school that is daycare. If you are staying home your kids should be home with you. 

• Anonymous 54
    by Anonymous 54
    October 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I sent my two youngest to preschool 2 days a week for 3 hours.  

• mali321
    by mali321
    October 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Thank you!

Quoting Yogamom08:

I asked the school. I called our school district and they put me through to the right people to schedule an evaluation. Whoever is handling yor E.I. could get the ball rolling for you as well.

Quoting mali321:

Did you ask the school for this or was ds in EI and they assisted. Not trying to intrude but my dd will be going into the school system next year and will need the special needs class since she will not qualify anymore for birth to three.

Quoting Yogamom08:

• RayOSunshine03
    October 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Sure sounds like you care and you're making it your problem. Nice how you didn't bother to think about what it may mean to have a disabled child or BE a disabled child, but you're willing to go ahead and form an opinion anyway.

Quoting angevil53:

Idc it's not my problem. I just wish they didn't qualify for free day care at all even if the kid is disabled. They should have to pay for it if they want it.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts