Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
So you don't cry it out.
by Anonymous
October 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM
What about when the baby is older and not "crying" so much as "yelling in anger".

My dd is 14 months, she goes to sleep just fine in her crib but wakes up at least once. I come in with a sippy of water and leave the room. She throws a temper tantrum like when she's not allowed to play with something she wants. The longest it ever lasted was 15 minutes. Since that it has lessened to less than 2 minutes.

Honestly up until about a week and a 1/2 ago I would sit in there until she settled down,often falling asleep on the floor, but the second she heard a footstep she was up screaming. It was one night after playing this game from 2:30am to 4am that I had enough and just walked out, shut her door and laid in my bed across the hall. She screamed for all of 5 minutes before she was out without a peep until 7:45.

I was such a sucker giving into her tantrums. We all have gotten so much more sleep now that she is only yelling for one burst instead of repeatedly through the night.

Would you ladies have handled it any differently? Co-sleeping is out because she is a damn bed hog. :)

Replies

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    October 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM
    bump.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    October 11, 2012 at 12:38 AM
    bump
  • brittani
    October 11, 2012 at 12:40 AM
    Nope I would have done the same thing.
  • kansasmom1978
    October 11, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I rocked my daughter till she was 3. It just worked. I never tried to keep her from crying. A lot of times i would hold her and she did not want to go to sleep and she would fight and scream. I let her. She would cry for a few minutes and fall asleep. My kids are not allowed to yell at us or each other. We've taught them that you talk to everyone with respect. It took time. 

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    October 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM
    I hate CIO, but that's mostly for smaller babies. My DD is 11 months old, and while I feel she is still too young, I am beginning to see a difference in her cries for something she needs, and the fact that she plain doesn't want to go to bed. Another few months and I would probably walk out and shut the door as well.
  • amber710
    October 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I have no problem with kids crying it out when they are old enough. A newborn/small baby who is crying because they are uncomfortable or not having their needs met should not be ignored.

But once they are old enough to know that they are crying to try to get attention and get out of bed, they need to learn that bedtime is bedtime and that crying and screaming at you wont make them get their way all the time. As long as you know nothing is really wrong with her.

• kimmie678
    October 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM
    I could never do that to my baby .. they don't understand why u are doing it.. its mean jmo
  • AlekD
    by AlekD
    October 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM
    You are doing fine. Ive done the same thing. Sometimes they just need to get that last burst of energy out before they can fall asleep.
  • MusicMuse1991
    October 11, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Quoting kimmie678:

I could never do that to my baby .. they don't understand why u are doing it.. its mean jmo

& how old is your baby?

• cassi_d_m
    October 11, 2012 at 12:45 AM
    Babies and toddlers are two totally different subjects when jr comes to CIO. Jmo

Quoting kimmie678:

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN