Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
So you don't cry it out.
by Anonymous
October 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM
What about when the baby is older and not "crying" so much as "yelling in anger".

My dd is 14 months, she goes to sleep just fine in her crib but wakes up at least once. I come in with a sippy of water and leave the room. She throws a temper tantrum like when she's not allowed to play with something she wants. The longest it ever lasted was 15 minutes. Since that it has lessened to less than 2 minutes.

Honestly up until about a week and a 1/2 ago I would sit in there until she settled down,often falling asleep on the floor, but the second she heard a footstep she was up screaming. It was one night after playing this game from 2:30am to 4am that I had enough and just walked out, shut her door and laid in my bed across the hall. She screamed for all of 5 minutes before she was out without a peep until 7:45.

I was such a sucker giving into her tantrums. We all have gotten so much more sleep now that she is only yelling for one burst instead of repeatedly through the night.

Would you ladies have handled it any differently? Co-sleeping is out because she is a damn bed hog. :)

Replies

• malexander2009
    October 11, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I wouldn't have waited I would have walked out of the room as soon as she had what she wanted. My oldest tried the temper tantrum routine on me the other day as we were both sick and he thought he could pull one over on me. I was putting car seats and bases back in our van after cleaning it out the day before. Had DS in the front seat playing with the wheel like he loves to do. When I was done I took him out of the van and said we were going inside for nap time. He threw himself on the ground and started screaming at the top of his lungs. I told him one time to stand up. When he tried screaming louder I walked away. His tantrum lasted a whole minute from start to walking inside with me. I don't allow my children to control my schedule.

• 1stpreggers
    October 11, 2012 at 1:36 AM
    I would've done the same.
  • Sanctimommy
    October 11, 2012 at 1:37 AM

I read three story books per child, then sang three songs per child. My little ingrates still screamed their asses off the second I tiptoed to the door and left the room. I just turned up the tv and read my books, though. That's the way it was done back in the day. 

• Sunshine257
    October 11, 2012 at 1:40 AM
    I didn't do cry it out. We just had a bedtime routine bath books cuddle sleep. If it was a real bad night bath books and rock him in the recliner..
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    October 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM
    I have done all the sweet ways. At bedtime she gets a story then sung to until sleep. The tantrum happens later at night when she wakes up.

Quoting Sunshine257:

I didn't do cry it out. We just had a bedtime routine bath books cuddle sleep. If it was a real bad night bath books and rock him in the recliner..

• Sunshine257
    October 11, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    The only time my son wakes up in the middle of the night is when his nose is stopped up from being sick. I guess I am lucky.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have done all the sweet ways. At bedtime she gets a story then sung to until sleep. The tantrum happens later at night when she wakes up.

Quoting Sunshine257:

• Anonymous 1
    October 11, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    Very lucky. She wakes at least once a night. Nothing wrong, just wants me to check on her.

Quoting Sunshine257:

The only time my son wakes up in the middle of the night is when his nose is stopped up from being sick. I guess I am lucky.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Sunshine257:

• andersongirl562
    October 11, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    Nope I wouldn't have done it....I coslept with each of my kids and though the youngest is 4.5 and the oldest is 14 with three in between I still occassionally end up with a kid in my bed. I lost my youngest son almost six years ago and since have learned to value the little things with my kids.
  • Anonymous 6
    by Anonymous 6
    October 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I know this is bad, but my 2 1/2 year old still has this problem...She usually wakes up in the middle of the night once calling my same and sounding so sad and I go lay down in bed with her and sleep the rest of the night in her bedroom.  I can't bring myself to just let her cry because it's not like she's having a temper tanturm...she just wants to be cuddled :-(  We co-slept with her until she was around 18 months by the way.

• Anonymous 1
    October 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    We both sleep better when we sleep separate. She is a light sleeper, so mommy or daddy coughing or moving woke her up. Any light wakes her up, rolling over wakes her up, moving her foot out of your mouth wakes her up. Ever since she's been sleeping in her own room she only needs 10 hours instead of 12-14. She did cosleep until 11 months.

Even though I loved cuddling her I have to do what would get her the most real sleep. Her own dark quiet room.

Quoting andersongirl562:

Nope I wouldn't have done it....I coslept with each of my kids and though the youngest is 4.5 and the oldest is 14 with three in between I still occassionally end up with a kid in my bed. I lost my youngest son almost six years ago and since have learned to value the little things with my kids.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts