Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
So you don't cry it out.
by Anonymous
October 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM
What about when the baby is older and not "crying" so much as "yelling in anger".

My dd is 14 months, she goes to sleep just fine in her crib but wakes up at least once. I come in with a sippy of water and leave the room. She throws a temper tantrum like when she's not allowed to play with something she wants. The longest it ever lasted was 15 minutes. Since that it has lessened to less than 2 minutes.

Honestly up until about a week and a 1/2 ago I would sit in there until she settled down,often falling asleep on the floor, but the second she heard a footstep she was up screaming. It was one night after playing this game from 2:30am to 4am that I had enough and just walked out, shut her door and laid in my bed across the hall. She screamed for all of 5 minutes before she was out without a peep until 7:45.

I was such a sucker giving into her tantrums. We all have gotten so much more sleep now that she is only yelling for one burst instead of repeatedly through the night.

Would you ladies have handled it any differently? Co-sleeping is out because she is a damn bed hog. :)

Replies

• GatorsWife4Life
    October 11, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I have never done the CIO thing. I just don't have the heart for it. NO< I am NOT saying you or anyone who does it is heartless. It's just not something I could do. I rocked both of my children till they went back to sleep at night.

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    October 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM

my 14 month old is the worst. she gets a sippy of water but that's it at night. she knows that night night means night night

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    October 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM
    If I take her out, she wakes up when I put her down and we are in the same situation. I hated the idea of letting her cry. But once I realized she was slept better not worrying about when mommy is going to try and sneak away, I decided 1 quick but louf tantrum is better than 12 spread out over a 2 hour period.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

I rocked my daughter till she was 3. It just worked. I never tried to keep her from crying. A lot of times i would hold her and she did not want to go to sleep and she would fight and scream. I let her. She would cry for a few minutes and fall asleep. My kids are not allowed to yell at us or each other. We've taught them that you talk to everyone with respect. It took time. 

• MyLittlePwny
    October 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM
    I don't CIO but that's just me. When dd got old enough I could communicate with her on whatever was going on. Worked for us.
  • kansasmom1978
    October 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Oh I agree. Sometimes crying is okay. We lived with my mom at the time and she hated when my dd cried. So rocked her to minimize her crying. She also had a binkie till she was 3 because my mother could not stand her whining if we took it away. My mom went on vaca to FL and we went to Denver for a short vaca and told dd that we forgot her binkie in hotel. She never asked for it again.

Quoting Anonymous:

If I take her out, she wakes up when I put her down and we are in the same situation. I hated the idea of letting her cry. But once I realized she was slept better not worrying about when mommy is going to try and sneak away, I decided 1 quick but louf tantrum is better than 12 spread out over a 2 hour period.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

I rocked my daughter till she was 3. It just worked. I never tried to keep her from crying. A lot of times i would hold her and she did not want to go to sleep and she would fight and scream. I let her. She would cry for a few minutes and fall asleep. My kids are not allowed to yell at us or each other. We've taught them that you talk to everyone with respect. It took time. 

• Hilary799
    October 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM
    I did the same.
  • Anonymous 1
    October 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM
    Kimmie she knows she is crying to see if mommy will sing one more song. That's why she's been yelling less and less. She understands that mommy is done playing for the night.

Quoting kimmie678:

I could never do that to my baby .. they don't understand why u are doing it.. its mean jmo

• Anonymous 1
    October 11, 2012 at 12:54 AM
    if it was honest crying, it would be differnt. But yelling at mommy doesn't change that it's bed time.

I'm glad you know what I mean.

Quoting Hilary799:

I did the same.

• areyouatroll
    October 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM
    Bedshare so bump
  • Danotoyou2
    October 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM
    My son is 16 months and has never CIO. If he's up in the night and wants me, I comfort him. I wont necessarily play with him or interact, but I'm there to hold him.

I was that way with my older kids too.... until preschool / kindergarten age.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN