Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
furbabymum
Stranger Danger should still be taught to kids!
October 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I can't help but wonder, with all the recent news of kidnappings, how these guys got these kids. The missing girl in Colorado is very close to home being but a couple hours away. The same day a girl went missing from Cody, WY. She was later found and it's come out that she got in a strangers car because he asked her to help him find his dog.

Growing up we had a code word. We didn't get in the car with anyone who did not know the code word. We did not help people find lost dogs. We gave directions from the side walk. We knew to run screaming if someone approached us. My siblings and I would never have been that girl taken and raped in Cody, WY. My children will not be either. I will teach them as I was taught.

Are people just not doing that anymore?

Replies

• furbabymum
    October 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I remember watching educational videos in school on this as well. Did the schools stop teaching it?

• furbabymum
    October 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I also remember having a picture passed around of a particular car and being warned about staying away from it.

• furbabymum
    October 10, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I figure any parent who doesn't teach this is severely negligent.

Let me guess, ya'll just don't let your kids out of your sight, right.

• baquick
    by baquick
    I was taught the same! That's scary!
  • UgtaBkdnMe

I teach mine, and remind them often.

• Kitschy
    by Kitschy

They teach it in schools. I for one don't teach stranger danger and I'm not looking forward to them learning it in school. I think stranger danger is actually detrimental and weakens the senses to be able to protect oneself against actual danger by making all strangers the culprit. I think the message is confusing at best and not well thought out.

• furbabymum
    October 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Bump

• Lunarprancer
    October 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    My dd isn't in school yet, so I don't know about that, but I am teaching her stranger danger.
  • PeaceLoveZ
    October 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Even people who know and are taught this can still be kidnapped. Look at the amount of missing women, or men even. They knew but they were still abducted. If a bad guy wants to get someone bad enough they will.  You don't know what could happen to your children, don't be so sure it couldn't happen to you.

• JakesMom712
    October 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM
    I will teach it, along with not allowing people to touch certain body parts.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN