Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
furbabymum
Stranger Danger should still be taught to kids!
October 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I can't help but wonder, with all the recent news of kidnappings, how these guys got these kids. The missing girl in Colorado is very close to home being but a couple hours away. The same day a girl went missing from Cody, WY. She was later found and it's come out that she got in a strangers car because he asked her to help him find his dog.

Growing up we had a code word. We didn't get in the car with anyone who did not know the code word. We did not help people find lost dogs. We gave directions from the side walk. We knew to run screaming if someone approached us. My siblings and I would never have been that girl taken and raped in Cody, WY. My children will not be either. I will teach them as I was taught.

Are people just not doing that anymore?

Replies

• cheez1e
    by cheez1e
    October 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

We've had that talk at my house. We have a code word, and only my kids, myself, and dh know it. Not even the rest of my family. They also know, including my 5 yo, not to do get into ANYONE's car unless they know beforehand they are supposed to or the person knows that secret word.

They have also been taught if someone ever tried to grab them to kick, scream, scratch, bite, do everything they can to get away from them and run to the nearest house for help. My 5 yo likes to remind me I said to kick them in the privates if that happens.

That said, even with teaching them all to do it, you never know what they might do in the situation. She could have been taught not to and still did it, kids do things like that. That's why it's so easy for people to still be doing what works!

• TraceyMR
    October 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I don't know what schools teach, but we will be teaching DD about stranger danger but also about telling us if a person ever violates her personally, no matter what the perpetrator says to them.

As an aside, I thought your sn was "Furbymama"

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    October 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    I agree

Quoting Kitschy:

They teach it in schools. I for one don't teach stranger danger and I'm not looking forward to them learning it in school. I think stranger danger is actually detrimental and weakens the senses to be able to protect oneself against actual danger by making all strangers the culprit. I think the message is confusing at best and not well thought out.

• furbabymum

Of course someone could have chased me down, knocked me over the head and taken me. What is the percentage of that though? If I were to be taken I'd put up as much struggle and make as much noise as possible. Predators usually go for the easy kill.

Quoting PeaceLoveZ:

Even people who know and are taught this can still be kidnapped. Look at the amount of missing women, or men even. They knew but they were still abducted. If a bad guy wants to get someone bad enough they will.  You don't know what could happen to your children, don't be so sure it couldn't happen to you.

• Jamie1972
    I taught my kids that if someone tries to take them to scream really loud " you are not my mommy/daddy" and kick then run. Told them what a stranger is and how to act around them when I'm not there.
  • brittany208

They still teach it. its not exactly foolproof. there were kidnappings back in the day too. scary stuff!!

• jessi2girls
    October 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Stranger danger only helps protect children that have an opportunity to get away...

I'm not saying that it doesn't work. trust me, it saved me!! BUT it's not going to stop every single kidnapping.

But yes, my oldest is 4 and already aware of stranger danger, etc

• cheez1e
    by cheez1e
    October 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM

We've had the good touch/bad touch talk too.

Quoting JakesMom712:

I will teach it, along with not allowing people to touch certain body parts.

• furbabymum
    October 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Furby's are coming back man! I had one as a kid. lol Unfortunately it's about hairy dogs. :P

Quoting TraceyMR:

I don't know what schools teach, but we will be teaching DD about stranger danger but also about telling us if a person ever violates her personally, no matter what the perpetrator says to them.

As an aside, I thought your sn was "Furbymama"

• conweis
    by conweis
    October 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    I hate when people my mom knows try to tell my kids what to do.
    No you cannot tell my kids what to do. They do not know you.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts