Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
*ETA*My confession: My baby was born "early" on purpose.
by Anonymous
October 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM
My DS is now 6 months old and this is the first time I've ever admitted this; he was 4 weeks early and I made myself go into labor. He's my 2nd, and I was 36 weeks. I was miserable, HUGE, I was already 2 cm dilated and 70% effaced at my OB appt the day before I decided to drink castor oil. OB said it was probably going to be weeks before DS was here, but my body could just tell he was ready. I'd been having contractions off and on for weeks. I'd heard about it, and after doing some research online, I figured what the hell. I got off work, bought some castor oil, mixed 2oz of it with 4 oz of orange juice and slammed it. Worst thing I've ever tasted.

I started having strong contractions about 4 hours later, and about 16 hours later I was holding my perfectly healthy, 8 lb 1 oz baby boy!

OB said I was lucky to not have gone another 4 weeks or he'd have been over 10 lbs and I wouldn't have been able to deliver vaginally. She's pretty sure they had my due date wrong.

I know it's stupid to rush your baby's birth and I don't suggest or recommend it to ANYONE. My husband still has no idea I did the castor oil.

There. There's my confession.

ETA; Because I'm not going to explain it 60 times, my OB didn't say it was IMPOSSIBLE to deliver a 10 lb baby. I'm well aware women do it all the time. However, *I* do not have a wide enough birth canal to barely accommodate an 8 lb baby, let alone 10 lbs. At 8 lbs 1 oz, delivery tore my pelvic floor muscle, tore my rectal muscle, I needed 40+ stitches, and broke my sons collar bone on the way out. My OB said had he gone another 4 weeks, I *PROBABLY* would've ended up with an emergency C section.
So I repeat, she never once told me no one in the history of the world has ever delivered a 10 lb baby, regardless of YOUR stature, YOUR experience, what you, your sister, your husbands long lost cousin was only 5'0" 90 lbs and gave birth to a 13 lb baby. Every woman's body is different and it makes me sad for the female race that this has to be explained.

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    October 15, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    "master baited"
    Lmao!
    Sounds like a fishing competition lol!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I can honestly say I am not innocent of something like that myself. I hate the feeling of pregnancy and I put myself in labor with my youngest. I did the castor oil thing and it did not work, so I have to honestly say that I master baited and stimutaed my self everychance I could so that my contractions were to strong for them to send me home when I went in. Wrong, I know but I was feeling the same way as you at 36 weeks. They went ahead and enduced me and she came out a heathly 7 pounds 6 oz on December 10th and now that I am preganent again I am trying my hardest not to go there again. No one knows that and I am so happy to get that out.

• ChibiMarronChan
    October 15, 2012 at 8:30 PM

43 weeks and no his heart rate did not go back up...hence the emergency

• Jenna44420
    October 16, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I think that's awesome!  I too researched the self-induction thing and the castor oil/orange juice thing was gonna be my pick but I didn't have the balls to go through with it.  LOL.  My baby was born at 39 weeks and 2 days--9 lbs. 1oz.

I tried inducing the day before by lifting heavy things upstairs and then I drank a Starbucks Vanilla Frappuccino (<--spelling??) AND an ice tea (I didn't have any caffeine since 6 weeks of pregnancy).  That night at 2am my plug popped and my water broke...ha, ha!!

Cheers to you mama!!  Don't feel  guilty...the last 4 weeks of pregnancy suck!!

• momkelly2
    October 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM

If I need to clarify to suit you... you need to read better.   

I said my first  was Premature AND Breech.  that situation,  with most drs is an automatic C-section.   and I was advised it was not safe for the baby to deliver, vaginally in the future.      so only one Baby was breech.   DS  (aka 2nd baby) was premature and frank... however recalling a comment made but not explained, by my first dr who advised me not to deliver vaginally I chose to have a c-section with baby #2... it had nothing to do with being premature.. it was a remembered comment and a gut feeling I should listen. 

And by the way thank you.. it is because of people like you and comments like yours I carried guilt for that choice for over 20 years.     however two years ago when my current dr explained it was the best choice for my conditiion.    and the survival of my kids and I....    guilt gone.. and you can't bring that guilt back. 

as for more detail in my first reply,  in my attempt to comfort the OP I did not feel it was necessary to explain my anatomy to everyone..    your responce with WTF......etc.   prompted further explaination.  

and ........wow I only said it once... you know the history thing and survival..   don't want to repeat..  and upset you...      wow..    sorry it was too many times for you.....   and I did not say that all women died in child birth..  but many did..   obviously  the greater precentage survived.   DUH!!!     And I would have been one of them to not survive, if I was alive at that time.     also..  the rate of child birth was much higher in families,   so more childern were born, which kind of insured the population going forward.  do recall  it was a time before the advent of birth control so it was not uncommon to give birth to several more children than were actually  raised.       

oh  and ....   just incase you don't want to scroll down to my original post..... here is the quote from my post  typo and all...  
    "dd was premature and breach so automatic C-section.  DS was more of a choice.. but it was a gut choice....  

really glad my horse is not so high and mighty as yours is!

Oh and still  Anonymous I see..  

Quoting Anonymous:

First of all you simply said your babies were premature and breech and therefore implying that if one of those two things occur, everyone must have a c-section. Fix your wording and explain better next time.

You should educate yourself on how a baby breathes if you truly believe a baby can suffocate before being exposed to oxygen with no cord pinching. Going back to my original statement, breech is safe.

And finally, stop bringing up the "women died every day in the past" line. Historians are notorious for changing facts and everyone knows it's MUCH easier to talk about the negatives of something vs the positives. If it was so darn dangerous, we would have died out a long time ago.

Quoting momkelly2:

First of all... all I wanted was to comfort a woman who made a choice.     and likely a good choice for herself.  

secondly... I DID NOT FORCE MY BABIES TO BE BORN EARLY!!!!     and breech can be a safe option but it is not always a safe option!! in my case it would have caused death of one or both of us.   

for both of my babies, My water broke..  and I went into labor early!  I did not Force them outl.

I didn't go into detail initially...  .. but I   was born bicornuate..fully bicornuate... which means I had two uteri, two cervices and two vaginas.   what I didn't know until my bits were removed 2 years ago(Cancer btw) was there was a twist.   the left uterus went to the right cervix.. and the right uterus went to the left cervix.  So you might say My circumstances are a bit different than most women.

so  I had issues.   my DD being breech WAS GOD's BLESSING!!!  When I had my hysterectomy which, by the way I went through menopause naturally no drugs.. no hormones...  nothing... I planed on keeping my parts   nearly bled out one month; kind of Peri menopause hell for 3 yrs before my cycles stopped... but refused to go to the dr over it because I was    trying to stay drug free and do it the natural way..  and knew they would recommend a hysterectomy.    3years after I was menopausal   ...  well,  all I can say is, Cancer does rule some times.

as for breech being safe.. they do not take the chance that the baby comes part way and the cervix doesn't let the the shoulders and head out.      the baby can suffocate before they can retrieve the baby.      but that all aside... with the twist in my uteri.  my Current dr said that it was a good choice not to have delivered because I would have lost either the baby... myself or both of us had I ever tried to deliver.    so I am saying my instincts and my choice was right for me and the two incredible kids that I have raised.  

I did not deliver early on purpose..   my kids came 4 weeks early  and I didn't want them early..   in fact I was pretty determined to have dd as close to her due date as possible.    because I have two uteri .. they are actually two halves of a whole..   and so the stress to carry one child for me was the same as a woman carrying twins...  because there is less room..  they come early.   BTW....  NO struggles. no issues.. no health issues..  NOTHING..  perfectly healthy kids.. and intelligent adults.   

as for my  cousin's baby.. that story is reality..   it is what happened..  and it took over a year for her to get back to some sense of normal..  and I am not talking pre baby weight... she suffered for a long time as she had to recover from all she had been through..  She didn't complain but you could see  it in her.   She and baby are fine now...  but she paid for having the baby late... 

and yes there are women who can deliver 10lb babies..  there are also women who can't deliver 8lb babies.   my SIL is one who could not..   both boys taken by c-section after she tried for two days...  

so really do you know so very much? wake up.. yes some women jump to soon...  some drs advise to quickly,  to an alternative measure...    but for some of us it is life saving....     and why should a woman be torn or grossly manipulated .. because someone thinks it is better to come naturally...    you do realize that women used to die  during child birth at an alarming rate in the past..     with that past I would likely have been one of those who didn't make it.    had it been and earlier century.

my SIL would have died with the baby inside of her....      and my cousin as well...   with modern medicine,  thank God they knew enough to save her and her  beautiful little girl..... but at one point  her husband was made to leave the room and didn't know if he would loose both of them..   

and at 10lbs..  it is not really early..     and I would dub thee Saint ________    but you chose to be anonymous...        at least I'm not ashamed to post my real name.

Quoting Anonymous:

WTF so because baby is premature lets GUARANTEE her to have a rough start by FORCING her out early??? And you know, breech is a safe option!!!

Just because a baby is over 10 lbs doesn't mean they have to do all that crap. My gosh, you two are easily manipulated!!

Quoting momkelly2:

honey...  not that c-sections are all bad had two of them.   and before anyone yells...   dd was premature and breach so automatic C-section.  DS was more of a choice.. but it was a gut choice....    20+ years later I found out had I tried to deliver either child vaginally one or both of us wouldn't be here today.   so DD being breach WAS God's blessing in more ways than one.

now as far as your child...  my cousin had a child that was over 10lbs...  the dr let her go too long.    she finally begged to have her membranes stripped.     she delivered the beautiful baby girl...  how ever...  inorder to deliver that child they dislocated the baby's shoulder, sent the dad from the room and had to warp her pelvis oval shape to get the baby out.   she had progressed too far to have a c-section. 

you did what you felt you needed to to.   not the best move in many cases... but what was needed for your own safety, and recovery.   had you had a 4lb...  6 weeks early child..  that would be one thing.   you had a fully developed child that needed to be born.  

mine were both 4 weeks early...   (not my choice by the way they both picked their birthdays on their own)   and they are fine healthy adults!!    they were early...   under 5lbs each...  but they were healthy with well developed lungs.      early is not always bad...   

and like I made a choice with DS...  you maded the choice you needed to make...   and by the sounds of it you made the right choice.        I carried a twinge of guilt for years that Maybe I should have tried to deliver DS...   but   when I had a hysterectomy a couple of years ago..... I found out there was a problem and that guilt is long gone.    it no longer haunts me.   and I feel so blessed that DD was premature and breech....     which set up the plan to have DS the sameway...  

Drop your guilt... enjoy your baby!!!!

• gabgirl515
    October 19, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Im glad it worked out for you,but my sis did that, and her little girl was put in the nic u with breathing probs!!! 

• ruhappytoseeme
    October 22, 2012 at 1:33 PM

wow, they really got your due date wrong, your body knew it was time, a healthy 8 lb baby, congrats on him and OUCH on all the ripping and breaking his collar bone poor baby. how do they deal with pain in a newborn? please tell me they give them something, when I gave birth they always said they wont remember the pain, well that never cut it with me, but of course the only thing back then we were ever allowed to give a baby was tylenol (now im a grandma and my granddaughter cant take tylenol. I was late on my first 2 babys, 1st was due may 17 didnt come till may 27, she was only 5.5 (and I knew I was pregnant right away! so they werent wrong on due date lol) my second was due on may 27 lol and she came june 12 6.8 lbs, then my son was due july 4, I went in 1 month early due to stress, they put me on meds to stop labor, took me off meds july 3rd and I gave birth on july 4 (he was on time exactly lol) he was 6.12. I had all little babies, real fast labors (6 hours first and 3 and 1/2 hours other 2)  but it really sounds like your little (not so little lol) boy was ready, yuck on drinking that stuff, heard its really nasty, glad he was a healthy baby and I hope the problems during labor (ripping, and his collar bone) are all healed and good now.

• tallymom377
    October 22, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    ETA was an awesome add lol
  • ruhappytoseeme
    October 22, 2012 at 1:42 PM

roflmao I had no idea that could put you in labor, with mine all being so late I should have tried that hahahahaha but with my first I was so scared of going into labor (cause I had no idea what it was going to be like and I prayed  every day for God to leave her in a while, and he did, and I was happy LOL) I worked till my due date and my boss said I lived to far from work so he had to let me go LOL and still no labor. I didnt mind being late to. still sounds like a nice way to go into labor haha

Quoting Anonymous:

"master baited"
    Lmao!

Quoting Anonymous:

I can honestly say I am not innocent of something like that myself. I hate the feeling of pregnancy and I put myself in labor with my youngest. I did the castor oil thing and it did not work, so I have to honestly say that I master baited and stimutaed my self everychance I could so that my contractions were to strong for them to send me home when I went in. Wrong, I know but I was feeling the same way as you at 36 weeks. They went ahead and enduced me and she came out a heathly 7 pounds 6 oz on December 10th and now that I am preganent again I am trying my hardest not to go there again. No one knows that and I am so happy to get that out.

• ruhappytoseeme
    October 22, 2012 at 1:44 PM

hope she is ok now

Quoting gabgirl515:

Im glad it worked out for you,but my sis did that, and her little girl was put in the nic u with breathing probs!!! 

• erinlyons
    October 22, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

"master baited"
    Lmao!

Quoting Anonymous:

L. O. Effing L!!!!  HAHA :D Fishing competition, Ive gotta share this, too funny! 

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts