Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Are YOUR kids allowed to play with guns?
by Anonymous
October 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM

This is one of the big no-nos that seem to cause so much controversy. I always smirk and roll my eyes when someone says how they do not allow their kids to play with guns ever. My brothers and I played with them, hell we even shot BB guns (with adult supervision) and we never tried to kill anyone. And never thought guns were something to play with. So, do you let your kids play with guns? *Fake guns people*

Are your kids allowed to play with guns?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 18% - NO. NEVER.
  2. 44% - Yes. but only fake
  3. 33% - Yes. Both fake and real with supervision
  4. 3% - I'm undecided. (explain)

Replies

• matofour
    October 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    Yes
    We don't have real guns.
    But my oldest is getting a bow for Christmas.

My kids and all the neighbor kids play war, all day long. It's their favorite game.
  • bakerytreatz16
    October 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    My DD is only 5 months. So we aren't sure.
  • UpsideDown
    October 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    Yep. They have a bunch of toy guns, bb guns, and their daddy let's them shoot the real gun every nce in awhile. I have no issues with and honestly couldn't care less what others think.
  • ZoeCY
    by ZoeCY
    October 9, 2012 at 12:54 PM

My daughter has nerf guns and that's probably all she will ever have as far as toy guns go.  However she will probably shoot real guns at some point.  She will be taught how to properly handle and shoot guns and that they are not toys.  She is only 4 right now though so that's still a ways off.  

• LucyHarper
    October 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Toy guns, yes, they also know that unless its something like a bright orange water gun, they aren't to pull the trigger when they point it at someone and they are never to point it at anyone who isn't playing along. They also are allowed to use bb guns and real guns with supervision, my four year old has one and he's fired a real gun.

• happy2bmom25
    October 9, 2012 at 1:12 PM
    We have a ton of Nerf guns! We have laser guns, disc launchers, marshmallow launchers! We have found that kids that arent allowed to play with guns, well that is the only thing they want to play with!
  • PeregrineWaltz
    October 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    Quoting ElitestJen:

Yes. 

They're also taught to shoot and respect real guns.

Yup and they are taught about the history of each gun ( I inherited some antiques).
  • brittany208
    October 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Mine plays with a toy nerf gun, but he knows we don't shoot people, only furniture.

Mom Confessions