Mom Confessions

AmyJeremyx11
I lost my s*** on him this morning. *edit*
October 9, 2012 at 8:00 AM

My 9 yo stepson. He usually has an attitude, he talks to everyone like they're a piece of shit...including me and his dad. He has issues with this in school as well. He can be the greatest kid when he wants to be, and usually I can handle his mouth. I'm generally a patient person. This morning, though, he just woke up with it. He didn't understand why he had to take a shower every morning. He started arguing and whining about it. Later, I heard him yell at my son and call him a dumb retard. So, I asked SS what happened. He said "Nothing!" and I said, "I heard you yell at him and call him a mean name, what was it about?" And he kept waking and ignoring me. So I said, "Hey, I'm asking you something." At this point his dad heard and told him he needed to turn his tail around and answer me, don't keep walking and ignore me. DS had gotten into something in their room that belonged to SS. But at that point, I was so angry with SS and the way he treats me and everyone around him, I freaked. I yelled at him and told him I was so tired of the way he treats everyone. I don't even remember what all else I said, I just totally lost my patience. This means that all day, he'll be mad and he won't behave at school, he'll talk back to his teacher and yell at the other students if they bother him. He was already grounded yesterday for getting mad at his teacher and going and taking something off her desk and throwing it away. I also made sure I said something to DS about messing with things that don't belong to him and that he knew this already. Anyway, I feel bad now, like I set SS up for a bad day from the start. I just reached a snapping point...which, believe me, everyone reaches with him. Everyone loses their patience with him sooner or later...usually sooner. That doesn't mean I should, though. I think I'm going to call him at school and tell him I love him and that we'll try to have a better day when he gets home.

***Ok, I won't call him at school, jeeez. I feel bad when I lose my patience with any of the kids. As far as him being allowed to act that way, we are very consistent with punishments. He is not allowed to talk to anyone that way or act that way to people and he does get in trouble for it...just not with me screaming at him on the other end. Usually, I just punish him and stay calm no matter what...and the more his mouth runs, the heavier the punishment gets until he stops. I just feel bad when I yell at the kids.

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    October 9, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I agree

Quoting Anonymous:

You're going to call him at school?  
    SMH

He made a bad choice, let him live with the consequences of knowing that  his inappropriate choices are unacceptable.  If he chooses to get in trouble at school, then that too will be his choice.  Don't call him to kiss his ass and try to keep him out of trouble - that's exactly why that kid is the way he is. 

• GLO682
    by GLO682
    October 9, 2012 at 8:36 AM

it happens to all of us. kids sure know how to push our buttons.

• Mom2theboy1994

You are human. Don't be too hard on yourself. Does he have a disability, or is this just his natural personality? If so, then he's old enough to understand what you are asking of him, and to behave in a proper manner. You aren't asking him to walk on water; just to act like a human.

Good luck hon!

• snivic
    by snivic

THIS

Quoting Anonymous:

SMH

He made a bad choice, let him live with the consequences of knowing that  his inappropriate choices are unacceptable.  If he chooses to get in trouble at school, then that too will be his choice.  Don't call him to kiss his ass and try to keep him out of trouble - that's exactly why that kid is the way he is. 

• brittany208
    October 9, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Don't feel bad. I wouldn't tolerate that kind of behavior from my child at all. Kids these days.... wow. I'm a pretty strict mom bc my kid will NOT turn out like so many of the kids are these days. if he does have some kind of condition, im very sorry, that must be very hard, but that just makes an obstacle to overcome--not an excuse to allow behavior that is NOT acceptable.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    October 9, 2012 at 8:44 AM

ITA 
    And I'm totally shaking my head at all the people who are making excuses on this post ... such a shame. 

Quoting Anonymous:

SMH

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    October 9, 2012 at 8:50 AM

He's not a precious little snowflake, discipline him strictly and consistently for EVERY form of disrespect. At home, at school, it doesn't matter. YOU aren't setting him up for a bad day, YOU (and your husband) are setting him up for failure. You need to proverbially kick this kids ass NOW, you're raising a future douche bag. Why would you both coddle him to the point where he's now the head of your household? He's abusing his entire family and strangers to boot (school/public)!! Step it up and suck it up, he needs strict consistent discipline NOW.

• MamaLub
    by MamaLub
    October 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    Have you taken him to see a counselor? And for the record, my son has severe ADHD and is incredibly respectful.
  • Mrs-Robinson
    October 9, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    it happens
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    October 9, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    Ok so you discipline him for his bad behavior and you are consistant? Really doesn't sound like it. Maybe its time to do something different, get creative, etc, because you said he is like this to everyone, and you don't allow him to talk that way to anyway blah blah blah, but he still does it!! And you have to watch what you say and do because you are afraid of him!! Grow some damn balls, buckle down, and straighten the kid up. Make him do something time consuming and something that he hates, make him sit and think about his actions, then talk to him, over and over and over again. Get creative and start being a parent and less of a chicken shit who has to walk on egg shells not knowing what is going to set the child off.

Mom Confessions