Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
19bubbles91
so pissed off im shaking! vent
October 9, 2012 at 1:25 AM
So I called my apartment manager 2 days ago about our fridge not working

They sent maintenance and he had some lame excuse about it switching to defrost mode and to leave it closed for 4 hours andit should be fine

4 hours later the meat in the frezzer is completely dethawed and most the stuff in the fridge was warm

Called the after hours line and they guy comes back does something and says it fixed

It was blowing cold air so I said OK and he left

Everything seemed OK till tonight

I went to get some of The milk we bought
YESTERDAY and it smelled weird ( its been in the fridge all day) well its gone sour same with the unopened gallon of milk

I call the after hours line and the girl tells me they can't do anything till business hours

Our meat is now once again completely dethawed and idk what to do

Our food for the month is in that fridge

Ugh

Replies

• manda-nicole010
    October 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM

That happened to me once. They gave me a credit on rent to compensate what I lost in food. It was over 100 bucks or so in food. If you tried to get it fixed and they didn't fix it, that is their fault. 

• MommieBre21
    October 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM

I completely understand, you basically try your best to be nice, and they just dont care as long as it isn't happening to them. 

Quoting 19bubbles91:

Ya I've had problems with them leaving a big ass hole in my ceiling above my shower for 2 weeks

My dd was scared to take a bath once I mentioned JAG they had someone in here that day fixing it

I'm not one to be "walked" all over

Everyone in the office knows this.... they know me by name because I go in if I have a problem try and be nice but I ends with me being a total bitch 90% of the time

Quoting MommieBre21:

well i had the same problem you did,  and the nicer i was the slower they were at fixing my fridge and i lost $400 dollars in food. I would kick their butts into gear.

Quoting 19bubbles91:

I'm trying to be the bigger person and not flip out lol

I'm going to talk to the office tomorrow if nothing happens I will be going to jag about it

Quoting MommieBre21:

Can you say something like, " Get down here and fix my fridge, or I'm not paying until you do." ?

• manda-nicole010
    October 9, 2012 at 1:38 AM

The insurance will only fix it IF it isn't the apartment's fault. If she reported it and because they didn't fix it correctly and it took long enough for her food to spoil, I believe the apartment is responsible. I was at a big time apartment complex who liked being as cheap as possible and they had to replace my cost of food. The insurance would not.

Quoting TranquilMind:

I hope you had renter's insurance. 

The landlord only has the obligation to fix the refrigerator within a reasonable time.  You have the obligation to protect your meat, maybe by moving it to a cooler and putting in some ice until this problem is resolved.  I'm sorry it happened but this is what renter's insurance is for, though I wouldn't turn in a small loss, due to the risk of being dumped. 

• Luv2BaMommy9809
    October 9, 2012 at 1:41 AM

(((HUGS)))

Hopefully, they will work with you and perhaps give you some sort of credit for your loss of food.  You know what, I believe your renters' insurance policy will cover it and if you are not an habitual claimer, I don't see your next year's rates being affected... Have you given your insurance company a call yet?!  GOOD LUCK!!

• shudderette
    October 9, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Take a picture so they can see what you lost.... and then eat it. Get to cooking, girl, have yourself a feast.

Or you could knock on your neighbors door and ask them to use their fridge. Or give them the food. 

And then definitely ask the manager to take it off next month's rent.

• TranquilMind
    October 9, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Quoting manda-nicole010:

The insurance will only fix it IF it isn't the apartment's fault. If she reported it and because they didn't fix it correctly and it took long enough for her food to spoil, I believe the apartment is responsible. I was at a big time apartment complex who liked being as cheap as possible and they had to replace my cost of food. The insurance would not.

Quoting TranquilMind:

The landlord only has the obligation to fix the refrigerator within a reasonable time.  You have the obligation to protect your meat, maybe by moving it to a cooler and putting in some ice until this problem is resolved.  I'm sorry it happened but this is what renter's insurance is for, though I wouldn't turn in a small loss, due to the risk of being dumped. 

Well, I'm glad someone replaced your food for you, but I assure you that the landlord is not legally responsible to do this, unless the landlord failed to fix the refrigerator within a "reasonable time", however, that is determined by a judge in your area.  In practice, many will credit the tenant just to keep peace, but it is not an obligation.  I always wonder what a tenant - who always claims he has hundreds of dollars of meat (Something I've never had at one time in the entire decade and a half during which we've been raising a family)  would do if she owned a home and the power goes out?  You have to protect your food; the responsibility is on you, not the power company.  It will tell you to pound sand if you call and complain that you lost all your food.  It happened to me one 90 degree summer when the power was out for three days.  We did what we could with the cooler, but lost some food.  That's what happens.    So it's wise to learn to handle things quickly on your own. 

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    October 9, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I understand, but you will need money for food and gas if it all gets ruined.

Quoting 19bubbles91:

They only money we have atm is for gas

We don't get paied again till the 15th

Quoting Anonymous:

Go buy ice to pack around it.

• 19bubbles91
    October 9, 2012 at 1:53 AM
    I don't have over a $100 of meat in my fridge

But I do have a receipt of everything we bought yesterday

My biggest problem is the guy claimed to have fixed it when all he did was get the frezzer to blow out cold air

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting manda-nicole010:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Well, I'm glad someone replaced your food for you, but I assure you that the landlord is not legally responsible to do this, unless the landlord failed to fix the refrigerator within a "reasonable time", however, that is determined by a judge in your area.  In practice, many will credit the tenant just to keep peace, but it is not an obligation.  I always wonder what a tenant - who always claims he has hundreds of dollars of meat (Something I've never had at one time in the entire decade and a half during which we've been raising a family)  would do if she owned a home and the power goes out?  You have to protect your food; the responsibility is on you, not the power company.  It will tell you to pound sand if you call and complain that you lost all your food.  It happened to me one 90 degree summer when the power was out for three days.  We did what we could with the cooler, but lost some food.  That's what happens.    So it's wise to learn to handle things quickly on your own. 

• smalltownmom03
    October 9, 2012 at 2:13 AM
    I read somewhere that they have 30 days to fix the problem here in Texas.

Quoting TranquilMind:

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    October 9, 2012 at 2:18 AM
    Buy your own place. Landlord problem solved.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts